Thread: 2009 Supercharged HHR with Reduced Engine Power

2009 Supercharged HHR with Reduced Engine Power

My son has a 2009 HHR with a 2.2 Ecotec motor and Automatic trans. I bought a Supercharger kit from ZZPerformance and also had the PCM Flashed by them. Well from day 1 the car runs great until you punch it because this sends the motor into "reduced engine power" and also illuminating "service ECS" and "service traction control" lights. I sent the PCM back to ZZPerformance and they changed the tune but it still goes into REP whenever I accelerate aggressively.
    The motor:
    2.2 Ecotec
    M62 Supercharger boosting around 8 lbs
    new LSJ throttle body
    60# EV6 Siemens injectors
    4 bar MAP sensor
    cool air intake
    This is when I purchased HP Tuners Pro to see if I could avoid shipping the PCM back and forth. I've attached the latest tune file and two scanner files where the car goes into REP> And I thank you in advance for whatever help can be offered.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    what code does it throw when rep is active.

injector scaling is wrong for the 60's btw.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    what code does it throw when rep is active.

injector scaling is wrong for the 60's btw.

At first it would throw P0106, P0121 and P0606 but I sent the PCM back to ZZPerformance and now it just throws P0606

Senior Tuner
    bad ecm/tcm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've researched about P0601 codes is that it doesn't necessarily mean a bad ecm. A change of tune could cause this code and it wasn't throwing this code until after the ecm was retuned by ZZPerformance.

I meant p0606

Senior Tuner
    is it your original pcm, or a flash and send from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    is it your original pcm, or a flash and send from them?

It was the original pcm that I sent to them to flash.

Advanced Tuner
    I'd check the LSJ throttle body for fault or trace the wiring to the pedal.

This would happen to my brothers 2006 2.2 cobalt. He had a bad throttle body. The second time it happened was because the wiring on the throttle had a short. I would say check the wiring if the throttle is new

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquezz1228 View Post
    This would happen to my brothers 2006 2.2 cobalt. He had a bad throttle body. The second time it happened was because the wiring on the throttle had a short. I would say check the wiring if the throttle is new
    I'm probably gonna change the throttle body next. (again) I've already gone over the wiring. It will be a month before I can do so because it is my sons car and I'm out of state at my other business for March. I will follow up on this when I get back home. And I want to thank everybody for their help.

My bad did not see the post where you checked over the wiring. I asked my brother earlier today and he said he also got REP when he had a vacuum leak where his MAP sensor was.

I was going to compare my tune to yours as i have similar mods and i have not had that issue but i need to install the hpt editor update. Ill update and compare them or post a tune off mine once i get to my computer so you can compare. That way we can make sure if its the tune or not

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquezz1228 View Post
    My bad did not see the post where you checked over the wiring. I asked my brother earlier today and he said he also got REP when he had a vacuum leak where his MAP sensor was.

I was going to compare my tune to yours as i have similar mods and i have not had that issue but i need to install the hpt editor update. Ill update and compare them or post a tune off mine once i get to my computer so you can compare. That way we can make sure if its the tune or not

I'll check closer for vacuum leak. When did his REP occur? This car is like clockwork when I drive the car and punch it. My son can drive without going in to REP but I am a more aggressive driver.

And I would appreciate it very much to compare your tune to mine. And all in all it might not be the tune but I tend to blame what I don't understand. But with my experience with street rods I should know that troubleshooting should be a more direct process. Thank you for your help.

Well guys it seems to have been the TB all along even though it was a new TB. This just goes to show, with car parts, "new" doesn't especially mean it works. It just means it's shiny. Thanks guys for all the help.

Advanced Tuner
    New parts these days for ya!

Good to hear! I did not see anything throttle related different from my tune except the ETC scalar but if its working now sound great.