Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on tune and MAF tables

Looking at it, you can't really. The C6 tune can support like 12x the airflow on the MAF scale compared to yours.

Honeslty I'd just see if it runs with the current table as I'm not sure how other people have scaled the larger MAF cuvre to work.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalon Sparks View Post
    You don't smooth your VE Table(s)?
    Well.. no, not if they don't look horrible I don't. If they looked like the Alps I would. My current one looks like this;

Capture.JPG

kr D.

EDIT: Should have said: I just took my old 5.7L settings and ran the normal MAF measurement setups to get my MAF curve for the card MAF, it was fine. The IAT was NOT fine and I had some trouble finding what seem now to be right values, and that DID make a difference, especially when idling and the temps went up. My MAF curve (also unsmoothed!) looks like this;

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by dermotw; 02-22-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Heres what i did to get my maf table almost identical to the LS7 vette MAF. Numbers are pretty close. Anyone think this would be safe to at least start and see what my AFR looks like and watch IAT. If its way off or anything will it set a MAF error and go to SD mode?

Mine is rx7 tune. Attached is 08 Vette stock tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Nickatina7 View Post
    Heres what i did to get my maf table almost identical to the LS7 vette MAF. Numbers are pretty close. Anyone think this would be safe to at least start and see what my AFR looks like and watch IAT. If its way off or anything will it set a MAF error and go to SD mode?

Mine is rx7 tune. Attached is 08 Vette stock tune.
    I would turn MAF off and tune the VE first then worry about the MAF.

I am also trying to figure out how to transfer the IAT resistance values to my LS1 tune. On the LS7 vette tune the row units are measured in resistance and on the GTO/RX7 tune the row units are percentage. It doesnt seem to let me change this for some reason. How can I get this card type MAF with the IAT calibrated to this tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalon Sparks View Post
    I would turn MAF off and tune the VE first then worry about the MAF.
    I am for sure going to VE tune. I just wanted to make sure the MAF was somewhat close to the Hz of the card MAF.

And dont the IAT readings work with the VE in speed density tuning? I can leave the IAT plugged in and I want to make sure the values are correct for the new sensor.

Advanced Tuner
    I am also trying to figure out how to transfer the IAT resistance values to my LS1 tune. On the LS7 vette tune the row units are measured in resistance and on the GTO/RX7 tune the row units are percentage. It doesnt seem to let me change this for some reason. How can I get this card type MAF with the IAT calibrated to this tune?

I put the values for my 'ol LS1/P01 ECU with a card MAF in my earlier post!

EDIT:

THESE!

?C 0 6.25 12.5 18.75 25 31.25 37.5 43.75 50 56.25 62.5 68.75 75 81.25 87.5 93.75 100 %
    Inlet Air Temp 140 107.2265625 75 58.90625 49.453125 41.6796875 33.90625 25.546875 18.1640625 11.71875 6.2109375 1.328125 -4.7265625 -13.203125 -24.4921875 -36.6796875 -40

OR AS PIC;

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by dermotw; 02-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Advanced Tuner
    I am for sure going to VE tune. I just wanted to make sure the MAF was somewhat close to the Hz of the card MAF.

And dont the IAT readings work with the VE in speed density tuning? I can leave the IAT plugged in and I want to make sure the values are correct for the new sensor.

Yes, they do! The IAT is quite essential to it running properly actually.
    Last edited by dermotw; 02-24-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    I put the values for my 'ol LS1/P01 ECU with a card MAF in my earlier post!

EDIT:

THESE!

?C 0 6.25 12.5 18.75 25 31.25 37.5 43.75 50 56.25 62.5 68.75 75 81.25 87.5 93.75 100 %
    Inlet Air Temp 140 107.2265625 75 58.90625 49.453125 41.6796875 33.90625 25.546875 18.1640625 11.71875 6.2109375 1.328125 -4.7265625 -13.203125 -24.4921875 -36.6796875 -40

OR AS PIC;

Capture.JPG
    Damn those numbers are way lower than the stock LS3 ones. I'll try it out soon and see what it does.

So I followed a guide i was given to the T and got it all ready to Speed Density tune. Then i started the car and it started up but barely ran and died every time. It ran like absolute shit and i tried to keep it running but it it sputtered and died. And i smelled gas afterwards. I can try and attach that log.

Before that I factored in all the values for the LS3 card type MAF and the built in IAT. They were really close to stock values of an 08 LS3 corvette. I started it up with all that entered and it ran and idled fine but would somewhat sputter when giving it gas. Also it started to run lean after a couple throttle inputs (18:1), so i shut it off then decided to try the SD tuning guide that was provided.

Also I used those IAT values and it was way off. said it was at 17 degrees before I went to start it up. So i went back and changed it so it was showing about 53 degrees before i started. (its about 50 degrees here).

I can try and attach the tune I made for the LS3 MAF, before I started making changes for the SD tuning. And i will attach the log from when it wouldnt run. Looks like the injector m/s was insanely high the whole time. I cannot figure out why.

Any help is appreciated. I really need to get the car back on the road. Or at least able to move out of my garage.

Sd tuning needs all 3 MAF dtc's set to fail on first error. Many guides are wrong about those settings when the MAF is still present and used for IAT.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting about the IAT, because I had to modify THAT one (which was itself created by someone else) due to (small) inaccuracies I noticed here (temps here are never below 20C, 68F, IAT temp hits well over 75C when idling in traffic). btw it was all in C of course, hope u spotted that...

And as 5FDP said, DTC P101/102/103 MUST be set to fail on first error!
    Last edited by dermotw; 02-26-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dermotw View Post
    Interesting about the IAT, because I had to modify THAT one (which was itself created by someone else) due to (small) inaccuracies I noticed here (temps here are never below 20C, 68F, IAT temp hits well over 75C when idling in traffic). btw it was all in C of course, hope u spotted that...

And as 5FDP said, DTC P101/102/103 MUST be set to fail on first error!
    I'm pretty sure I had those DTC's set to first error but I will double check.

OK haha yeah I just spotted Celsius. Whoops. I corrected the IAT values. But I am trying to get the MAF values close to the LS3 tunes values. The LS3 vette computer goes as high as 2,000 g/s on the column axis. While the LS1 computer only goes as high as 511 g/s. So the air flow is topped out half way through the frequency. Is there any way to correct this?

Getting close to the LS3's numbers is kind of not really possible in a way, your engine is smaller, flows less air, doesn't need as much fuel so you can only get so close. The computer use totally different scales of airflow, so that's another problem.

I'm not sure why you just don't start it up and see how far off it is and adjust as needed. Seems way faster than what you are trying to do now. If it's lean, just add to the curve, if it's rich you remove from the curve.

So I ended up hooking the old intake on and installing the old tune. Then it ran fine, so I did all the steps to start speed density tuning. I induced the maf failure and it started up, idle went down a bit after starting then it ran fine and the STFT starting doing its work and bringing the AFR back from how rich it was running at first. So i can go about driving it and getting the afr error histogram filled and copy and paste etc. I am mainly just wondering why the c6 intake isnt working at all with the SD mode. It initially shoots the inj g/s way high. Could it just be the rate of air going through the intake compared to my old 90* one? Should i copy and paste a different VE table into there so I'll have a better starting point?

in the mean time I'll be watching a few more videos on SD tuning.

Ill attach the SD mode when I had the c6 intake and the one I just did it with the old intake on. Both IAT values were the exact same with the new card type IAT and the old IAT. I changed the values back when switching to the old intake. about 54 degrees. It is about 50 degrees here when I tested it. And as of now its around 39 degrees. Its getting pretty cold and should snow tonight. Is this too cold of a temperature to try SD tuning? Since the VE and IAT is what is now controlling the AFR? This tune was built by the last dyno tuner when the outside temp was around 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Getting close to the LS3's numbers is kind of not really possible in a way, your engine is smaller, flows less air, doesn't need as much fuel so you can only get so close. The computer use totally different scales of airflow, so that's another problem.

I'm not sure why you just don't start it up and see how far off it is and adjust as needed. Seems way faster than what you are trying to do now. If it's lean, just add to the curve, if it's rich you remove from the curve.
    So should I just keep the old values for the MAF in and see if it runs with the c6 intake and then adjust the MAF from there? I am wondering why it would work with my old intake with the MAF disconnected but when i install the c6 intake and remove the MAF (but keep the IAT in play) it will not run at all.

Sorry guys if i sound like a complete newby, still learning. I am going to look at a few more guides on SD tuning and getting the VE adjusted correctly. Ive just read a few guides and went by that and It wont even stay running to log what i need to make changes to the VE table. I feel like something is so off in the tune that it wont stay running with the new intake to see what kind of changes I need to start making.

Advanced Tuner
    The LS3 vette computer goes as high as 2,000 g/s on the column axis. While the LS1 computer only goes as high as 511 g/s. So the air flow is topped out half way through the frequency. Is there any way to correct this?
    Welll.... no. You have an LS1 ECU and its numbers go to 511 or so. But that is still considerably more than you can achieve! You will also find that the MAF frequency probably won't go over about 10,000 Hz or so, perhaps less if your car's quite standard, so the higher parts are there, but irrelevant really.

To try to give you an idea, see the below. The 1st pic is of my own car, 6.2L LS376, 233/.6 lift cam, card maf, fast intake, 100mm TB etc., compared to a totally standard '99 cars maf curve (5.7L standard everything etc.). Mine is flowing about 160 g/s more than an LS1 at the top end, the graph is of the DIFFERENCE between the 2 curves;

LS376 vs LS1.JPG

Then, this next one is a comparison between my car (same as above) and your MAF curve that you posted;

LS376 vs RX7.JPG

This says that you are (apparently...) shifting up to 110g/s MORE air than my 6.2L... So thats about 270 g/s more than a standard LS1 at high revs/load (and proportionally, it's more all the way down as well).. I just tune my own car, so I don't have experience of many like the others on here, but that sounds unlikely, to say the least, lol.

I'd totally agree with what 5FDP said, it would be easier to start with an LS1 curve and alter that upwards. You could even just take an LS1 curve and e.g. add 10% or so everywhere.

I will happily post my own file, or my curve figures if you like, just let me know, but they'll still need changes!

kr D.

Thank you very much. Yeah if you can post your tune that would be awesome. I like to see other examples and go off of that.

I've been watching all of CSSOB's videos on you tube on tuning the VE in SD mode. I am understanding it much better. I would like to tune it like this in SD mode with the c6 intake on for sure though before I install the cam later and tune from there. It just confuses me why even with that card MAF dialed in and the MAF totally disabled it still won't even run even with the stock GTO VE values in there.

I understand what you're saying about the flow rate and Hz never even getting that high. I was looking at logs and saw it doesn't get too high.

I am most likely going to start with the stock MAF values tonight and see if I can get the c6 intake to work.

Could the extremely cold air temps out here and low IAT be causing any problems for me at all? I mean... it's only in the high 30*s here but still cold enough haha.

Pretty much every tune I enter it will not run at all with the c6 intake. Not at all. Extreme rich. I don't change anything. Just bolt the intake on. I can get it to run fine with old intake and run ok but slightly rich in SD mode. But once I put on the c6 intake it won't run for even a second. Just starts and dies and smells horribly like fuel and for some reason the inj m/s is way high. But not duty cycle. Don't understand why it won't even run in SD mode just by changing the intake. MAF is totally out of the equation.

Advanced Tuner
    Same injectors?