Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0411 Swap questions - Compatibility of different 0411's

alright I figured it out. When I typed the words in another post, : "the scanner says "accelerator pedal position" which makes me think its trying to read DBW position instead of TPS."

It hit me. That was exactly what was happening. So I just right click -> Add channel and found "tps position" and "tps voltage" and walaa, it shows up in the scanner now. So it was working the entire time I was just an @(*#@(#* sorry to waste your time for reading all this.

So my next step I think is load the 4l80e segment, THEN upgrade to a 2-bar map OS. And then off I go.

Glad you got it figured out, good luck.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Tuner in Training
    so let me confirm that this express van tune works on the L29 vortec 454?

i am planning on doing the same soon but with a bunch of parts to add before i do to eliminate the EGR and stock intake and convert to a Big block single plane efi intake with ls1 injectors and a big ls2 Throttlr body

Correct, it should be fairly straightforward using the express van tune for a start. You'll have to make changes for the L29 though.

Are you going to run the stock heads? What is this going in? You have me curious.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Well obviously the VE, MAF, timing, injector data, and stuff like that will need to be changed since its meant for a completely different setup. Aside from that VATS needs to be disabled and a few other minor changes i think. Speedo calibration will likely be off. If you google 0411 swap there should be some good info out there.

If you're cam swapping, wouldn't it be best to pick something meant for towing? Comp seems to have a good selection.

I believe that is correct about the factory cam, I don't remember checking mine when I was disassembling it all. It would help to install it straight up, but if I were that far I would just put a better cam in. Just make sure you swap springs too.

And a turbo would be crazy awesome.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Potential Tuner
    I'd like to add to this thread. I have a Lextech programmed 411 in my K3500 454/4L80E truck. Pinning it was easy and it fired up the first try.

Couple of notes:
    - Runs a little rich at idle. I'll need to calculate my mileage on my next tank. He said that the tune was done off a "tuned" engine, which probably needed a little more fuel than a stock motor.
    - The 1-2 shift seems a little soft at high throttle. The black box seemed to shift pretty hard. Not sure why.

Couple of questions:
    - Jeff kept the original van VIN in the ECU and mentioned that using an older VIN in the 411 can cause problems. Anyone know anything about that? I don't have to do an ODB2 inspection so it doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't mind having my VIN in the ECU, just in case. Also, I'm not sure how that affects registering the ECU with HPT.

It definitely does not affect anything with HPT, my truck shows a VIN from a van too, I tried changing mine and it wouldn't let me. Like you said, it doesn't matter if you don't have emissions testing.

I'd imagine the soft shift is a combination of shift time and pressure. You can change that with HPT.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Tuner in Training
    I was under the impression that the 454 H.O./502 cam was intended for towing?
    The 454 H.O. is a replacment for a RV. So I would think that it will do good in a towing application.

Plus I want something with a little more exhaust duration for a turbo later.

I want to do a cam swap but don't want to cam swap to keep the reliability up.

I plan on pulling the motor to throw a set of bearings/head gaskets, head studs, new timing chain, SFI approved balancer to eliminate the rubber sels failure, and add the prrvious mentioned parts.

Stock cam straight up should move the RPM range up some I think.
    I don't want to build a "hot Rod" but a tow truck that can pull 15k and overpass with no issue.

Later a 67mm-76mm turbo out back for over kill.

Oh and the springs/seats/retainers I am getting are beehive comp springs

I would think that is I used the van tune to start and logged and did the copy and paste % technique it should get really close with time.

Tuner in Training
    Beeffajitas- have u made any changes to the Lex Tech tune?

I know I have read and made a few changes with the block box I. The truck but am anxious to
    get the 0411 swap done.

I just want to finish my 1996 Camaro turbo LS swap so I can have a set of wheels to drive around while the Dually gets done.

Anyone care to post a 0411 swap tune to campare to the black box stock tune?

As soon as I figure out how to post one I will

Alright, I've only heard of that HO cam, never looked at the specs. If it is supposed to be for an RV then you should be good to go. Man a turbo would make that thing mean as hell.

As far as a tune, I have one I can send you in a few days if you want it, but my VE and MAF still need some work.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Potential Tuner
    I haven't changed a thing yet, but I'd like to take it in for a tune. My buddy has HPT, which is why I'm here. I'm sure there are some things I'd like to tinker with. If the VIN doesn't affect the HPT credits, I'll see if I can download the tune soon.

Has anyone figured out if you can eliminate or reduce the IAT timing retard, if you commit to running 93 octane? With summer right around the corner, I'm dreading the lack of power.

Tuner in Training
    How is that XE270 Obsolete489?

The 454 HO cam 211/230 and .510/.540 @ .050 112LSA

This is from Pcace Performance

This steel roller is for the 502 and 454 H.O.crate engines.

The duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 211/230;

Lift with 1.7:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 510/540.

Valve lash is zero/zero

Lobe centerline is 112 degrees.

For Use in Gen VI Blocks.Can be used in Mark IV and Gen V blocks if aftermarket tie-bar type roller lifters are used along with a Gen VI timing set and thrust plate (Older blocks may need to be drilled and tapped for thrust plate mounting.

Tuner in Training
    Not to mention at $184 it's a good cam

Yes you can zero out the IAT timing table if you so wish, you just might want to datalog a real hot day with the engine under load to make sure there isn't any(or much) KR going on.

Zuk, I haven't dyno'd the truck so I really don't have any good reference on the 270, but it seems to run pretty well. Pulls hard when I want it to, and gets OK mileage for a 8L engine (12.5 mpg dailying). I someday when I think I'm done tuning it I will get the darn thing on a dyno.

Looking at the specs you posted I don't think you can go wrong with that HO cam, especially at $184.

cam.JPG
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Tuner in Training
    Is it just a cam in your 489 Obdolete489?

How far from the stock tune is your current tune?

Maybe a sound clip? Have u towed with it?

I hope the turbo later doesn't hurt towing by inducing heat when under load or something I am not thinking of

Its a 489 stroker, with about a 9.6:1 CR. Heads and intake are still stock, though I've been thinking about porting the intake. 36 lb injectors. JBA shorty headers and custom exhaust.

I did this build a few years ago before I knew shit about tuning (still have a lot of learning to do), so I ran a mail order tune on the black box until 3 months ago. I towed with it some on that tune and with ~12k load I couldn't find a hill around here that would slow it down. That was on stock injectors too, I suspect that I was running them over 90% DC.

I have yet to tow since I swapped in the 0411 with the new injectors but I'm pretty sure it would pull hard. I honestly don't pull a whole lot with this truck anymore, a boat is about as crazy as it gets. The tune is pretty far from stock.

I will have to see if i can get a sound clip for you.

As long as the radiator can keep up and you have an intercooler you shoud be fine.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Tuner in Training
    I am actually thinking of using a cummins 12v turbo. As I have one laying around.

That with a 60mm wastegate because I think it will spool real fast. I only want 8-10psi

Plus I only really want it for extra pulling power and I guess if it helps mpg great

I seen a article where they used a 74mm turbo on a 454 HO crate engine and made like 800hp & 800ftlbs of torque. Don't quote me but it was something g close to that.

I just wonder if a small turbo out back will be over spun and if it is outside of it's efficiency range how much will it heat the air it's moveing. I hope the 60mm wastegate will evacuate the extra exhaust to keep from doing that.

Stock radiator and a 16" tall x 26" wide god speed intercooler I have for it.

Tuner in Training
    I found these three in my cookies

It was 776HP/732TQ @ 8psi

On a L29 block with worked aluminum heads.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...uild-part-iii/

These guys made 847hp761tq with a procharger @ 19psi

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/...t-vortech-454/

Same engine with twin BW 475's @ 12psi

932HP/866TQ

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/...ted-big-block/

So if I could use EFI(all of those were carb'ed), 42lbs injectors, and a tail pipe turbo maybe I can see 600+?

Just a thought. I think the limiting factor is the fuel system. I may rob the Camaro of it's 80lb injectors and swap to a walboro 340 on tank

I have zero experience with turbos on gas engines, but I would imagine you could make something off a diesel work. I'm not sure one from a 12v would be big enough though? Might want to find someone that has experience turboing engines to talk to.

Assuming the right size turbo, I don't think 600 would unachievable. If you're running the stock bottom-end I'm not sure what the longevity would be though.

Fuel system will definitely need upgrading. I have a hard time thinking the stock pump will do much more than 400 hp. A single walbro can support 500, might have to do something custom to go higher.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Potential Tuner
    I just had the truck tuned on a Mustang Dyno this weekend. Ended up at 225HP/330ftlb to the wheels. Operator said the "411 Tune" was pretty lean and the Power Enrichment was basically non-existent. This is a stock motor, only thing I've done is replace the stock muffler.