Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 Swap questions - Compatibility of different 0411's

Advanced Tuner
    Yea nothing ever happens on plan A more like plan xyz for me usually. The truck I picked up is far from nice, but the 500 buks I spent on it was well worth spending. After pushing a caliper piston back in. and putting a set of front brakes on the old gal. She put a few sets of black stipes on the road. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. Now just the regular 454 stuff injectors as always

Shit that't nice and cheap, I'd have picked it up too. The issue with trucks that cheap up here is that they're always rusty, damn road salt.

Aside from those normal issues they're pretty reliable engines, hopefully it treats you well.
    2000 K2500 - 489 CI Vortec w/ comp XE270 cam - 0411 swap and rear mount turbo
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    fortunately for me i live under the rust belt. unfortunately she was an old farm truck. Im sure she's pulled more than her fair share of loads, plus the entire front end needs to be rebuilt. Bouncing around the farm for a few years always does it to them. but 500 bucks got me the truck and title. sometimes people just wanna not see things in there yard anymore lol. luckily im that guy hunting deals like this iv'e learned from past experience. when you find a deal like this you just commit to it. shit i couldn't have gotten an engine and a transmission out of the junkyard for 500 bucks. so i consider myself well ahead still. especially since the 3.73 14 bolt gov bomb is still working correctly.

Tuner in Training
    I did my PCM swap this weekend and it worked as expected. The first PCM I got from the junk yard didnt have the 12212156 OS. I went back and grabbed on from an 01 Express V6 and it also didn't have the 12212156 OS. So I had to license the PCM and a tune from the repository that had the 12212156 OS.

I did the segment swap, flashed it to the PCM, and the truck started. I took it for a drive. It runs good as is.

I'll still need to dial it in for the truck but so far so good.

Yeah really cant lose with a deal like that in my opinion, how many miles were on it? Hopefully the front end stuff is cheaper for the 2wd than 4wd, I think it cost me close to a grand to replace everything up front on mine.

And Redline that stinks that you had to license both, but that was what I was expecting we'd have to do if we were starting with an ecm that didn't have the 2156 OS.

I think that is the biggest takeaway from this thread, it is worth ordering a 0411 from an express van rather than taking whatever can be had from the local salvage yard. Otherwise you'll end up using two licenses.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    The truck has 143,000 miles on the cluster. I remember I had to license a repository tune and the pcm I picked up from the junkyard. This was for my c1500 5.7 vortec.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsolete489 View Post
    And Redline that stinks that you had to license both, but that was what I was expecting we'd have to do if we were starting with an ecm that didn't have the 2156 OS.

I think that is the biggest takeaway from this thread, it is worth ordering a 0411 from an express van rather than taking whatever can be had from the local salvage yard. Otherwise you'll end up using two licenses.
    The other thing that's important is that we figure out how to do this ourselves using HPTs. We're certainly not pioneers by any means and I'm sure their are some experienced guys reading this laughing at us! But from the participation in this thread, it's clear that there are people out there who have the same questions as we do.

For how much I've spent in HPTs credits I could have purchased an already programmed PCM from Lextech with a refined tune for my truck. But he uses EFI Live. So that doesn't help us at all.

Also, If I would have found a thread like this 2 years ago I wouldn't have waited so long to do my PCM swap.

Quote Originally Posted by GMRedline View Post
    The other thing that's important is that we figure out how to do this ourselves using HPTs. We're certainly not pioneers by any means and I'm sure their are some experienced guys reading this laughing at us! But from the participation in this thread, it's clear that there are people out there who have the same questions as we do.
    I'm sure there are people that have every answer to our questions with this swap and HP Tuners, but it could be they just don't traffic the forum often, or maybe they did just sit back and laugh lol.

It sure would have been nice to know the value of the 0411 out of an express van vs anything else sooner, but oh well its only money right? haha
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Honestly the next time I do one I will buy the whole thing from Lextech. $180 you get a PCM already programmed with a base tune and the red and blue connectors with the Pinout. I spent $70 at the junkyard for the PCM and then $50 for the connectors, then used 4 credits.

The cost difference is negligible and I don't mind spending a little extra and Lextech makes a little money. He put a lot of hard work into doing those pinouts and then he gives them away for free. Then also I don't even have to leave the house... of course a trip to the junkyard is hardly a travesty...

Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Honestly the next time I do one I will buy the whole thing from Lextech. $180 you get a PCM already programmed with a base tune and the red and blue connectors with the Pinout. I spent $70 at the junkyard for the PCM and then $50 for the connectors, then used 4 credits.

The cost difference is negligible and I don't mind spending a little extra and Lextech makes a little money. He put a lot of hard work into doing those pinouts and then he gives them away for free. Then also I don't even have to leave the house... of course a trip to the junkyard is hardly a travesty...
    Yeah in hindsight I wish I had just ordered it from Lextech as well, that was my plan initially.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Agreed lextech has a superb deal. He also deserves to make a few bucks from us seeing as he gives all this information out for FREE. information he put his blood sweat and beers into. I just received the pinout sheet for my truck. for a pcm with a starter tune new connectors and connector covers his price is 190 shipped to anyone in the contenintal US. I think for the price it would be silly not to purchase through him. No doubt he will get my money when I'm ready to do the swap. My last swap cost me just at 120 for the junkyard pcm and two brittle aged connectors with about 10 inches of chopped wires hanging off of it. Then 4 credits so 100 bucks on top of that. His price is still lower than if I go to the wrench a part.

Alright so I finally got around to swapping the ecm yesterday. It seems like doing a write entire on the 0411 out of the suburban worked fine, though the truck cranks with no start so I probably missed a wire. It sounds like the ckp sensor could be the culprit.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Did you disable vats in the new pcm. Also disable egr unless wired properly to work with the 0411. You can check all your sensor data with the scanner to see if everything is working as it should.

When you disable VATS all you're doing is selecting none under the VATS control, correct?

EGR is disabled, though it should be wired correctly too.

I planned to hook the scanner up and see what is and is not present as you suggested. I just didn't have time to mess with it last night. I read a few posts on other forums that if you get the ckp sensor in the wrong location it will crank with no start (no spark) so I'll probably check that first.

I did have the scanner open while attempting to start it and everything looked to be reporting normally, at a glance.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that's the way to disable vats usually with a write entire. If you had cranking rpm readout then your crank sensor is working. Whether it's working correctly is the question. Its a lot of wires to swap sometimes things get crossed. Definitely triple check your pinouts.

Yeah, I don't remember for sure if the rpm readout was working, hopefully I can check tonight. And yeah I'll be double checking that each wire is in the correct location this weekend. I'm sure I'll get it figured out.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

I went out and checked the truck last night and sure enough the tach wasn't working. I had put the ckp sensor wire in the correct number of the wrong plug haha. The truck started right up once I fixed this.

Do you guys have any experience with PLx widebands? I have power to the controller, but I do not seem to be getting anything from the analog output. That or maybe I'm not doing something right in vcm scanner.
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Yup lots of wires. Good thing you noticed quick. Lookup wideband setup how to in the vcm scanner section of the forums. Good luck!

Thanks Oleblu, appreciate the help!
    1972 M35a2
    2011 LML Duramax

Hello,

I just bought a 2002 5.3L Tahoe engine, 411 PCM and harness came with it. Not sure what OS is in it yet.

I made a test bench for it and booted it up using HPtuners. I Need to run a 4l80e, and a 2-bar map, AND convert from DBW to DBC.

I wired in the TPS and IACV already, and then went under system -> ETC and changed it from "1" to "0". Then I tried the scanner and it still doesn't show the TPS voltage. I verified pin24 of red plug goes 0v to 5v when turning the TPS so I am pretty sure it is a configuration setting.

So what is my next step? Should I change the OS to a DBC camaro OS? Convert to the 2-bar map? Do the 4l80e segment swap? I don't know what order to do these things.

My current OS is 12216125
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 03-16-2017 at 01:38 PM.