Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0411 Swap questions - Compatibility of different 0411's

0411 Swap questions - Compatibility of different 0411's

Hello all,

So i have a question about doing a swap to the 0411 computer in my truck (2000 k2500, 454 and 4l80e). I bought a 0411 from a local salvage yard, that was supposedly from a 2001 suburban with a 4l80e. The question/concern that I have has to do with the OS in this salvage yard computer, and whether or not it will be compatible with my vehicle. Will this computer give me issues since it not out of the express van (l31 with 4l80e)?

I'm wondering if I should just plan on that OS not being compatible and just license a stock express van tune from the repository and flash that to the computer once I get it installed in the truck? Or should I wait until I get the computer installed and see what I'm working with at that point?

I appreciate all help/advice offered. I apologize if this is a simple/dumb question as I am new to the tuning game. I've spent a lot of time reading trying to teach myself the basics, but this is something I'm just not finding a lot of info on.

Thanks,
    Christian

Go to gmtruckcentral and join/ask the guys on there,...they'll know for sure. Just about everyone on that site has done the 0411 swap,....and there is one guru named LexTech on there that'll definitely answer that one for you,.... LexTech is the one who pioneered the 0411 swap into older trucks. He answers your questions fairly quickly too.

Alright I'll have to ask him, I got the wiring pinout from lextech several months ago so I should still have his email, just thought I'd try here first.

Thanks for the advice,
    Christian

Tuner in Training
    The issue your going to run into is that most those guys use EFI Live. Getting the swap info using HP Tuners is very challenging.

That's a true statement there bud,... ol' LexTech (Jeff) hangs out there a lot so he'd get a quick answer to his OS question (Jeff knows that stuff inside and out). Don't know why most of those guys on that site like EFILive,... my vote is HPTuners.

Obsolete489, if you need his personal email address, just kick me your email address (via PM) and I'll forward it.

Let us know how it turns out, I'm curious myself,.....I was initially gonna answered this myself for you, but for fear of being wrong/messing you up, figured I'd best leave it to the true expert (Jeff). Just wondering if my answer would have been right.

I shot Jeff and email so we will see what he says, I'll be sure to report back on this.

What do you think the answer is? I'd be curious to hear it, right or wrong it doesn't hurt to have some discussion on the topic.

To me, it seems like it'd be possible to write the stock tune from the express van to this 0411 and all would be good, but I wouldn't know until I tried. Someone with more tuning experience than me might be able to say whether or not that is possible/correct.

Christian

Advanced Tuner
    Been keeping an eye on this thread finally thought ide' put in my .02 I'm using a0411 from an 02 tahoe. Flashed with an express tune. My truck has the nv3500 so I can't say much about the trans side of it but there shouldn't be an issue flashing an express tune into any 0411 pcm. A side note my truck is running a 3500 express tune setup for a 4l80. I just switched the transmission selection to manual.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 02-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.

I think that pretty well answers my question actually, what I will probably end up doing is licensing a tune from the repository (I see there are a couple in there using the 454/4l80e combo with the 0411) and just flash that into my ecm once it is in the truck this weekend. Unless anyone thinks that is a bad idea?

Thanks for the help Oleblu, appreciate it.
    Christian

Advanced Tuner
    I'm fairly certain this will go without issue so long as you write entire for the first pcm flash. From there forward use write calibration for tuning.

That's what I was hoping, thanks for the help! I just wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered before starting this swap.

I'll still report back on how this goes.

Tuner in Training
    I'm no expert on this. I just picked up an 0411 PCM from the pick and pull from an 01 Silerado. I got the pin out for my vehicle from Lextech and hope to do the swap this weekend. Here's what I've learned...

What I, and most people will need to do is a Segment swap. "Segments" are the main tabs in VCM Editor like Engine, Engine Diagnosis, Trans, Trans Diagnosis, System, etc.

To do a segment swap, you need to start with 2 tunes with the same OS. In the case of the 0411 PCM, the OS is 12212156. From the tune repository, you will find stock tunes from the 01-02 Chevy Express. That will give you the Segments you need for the Engine and Engine Diagnosis for the 5.7L 350 L31 vortec. All those tunes have the trans segments for the 4L80e so I cant use them in my situation. (350 vortec with a 4L60e.)

Also from the tune repository you can download a tune from a 99-03 Silerado, Sierra, etc. Just make sure you select a tune that uses the 12212156 OS and a 4L60e. From that tune, you will get the Trans and Trans Diagnosis segments.

"Technically" you can start with with either tune.

If you open the Express tune first and the silverado tune as the compare tune, you would be copying the Trans and Trans Diagnosis segments from the second tune and writing them over the Express tune.

That will give you the Engine Segments for the 350 Vortec with Trans segments for the 4L60e on a 0411 PCM.

"Technically" you could do it the exact opposite way.

Start with the Silerado tune with the proper 4L60e segments as the primary tune. Then open the Express tune as the compare tune and copy over the Engine and Engine Diagnosis segments to the Silerado tune.

I say "technically" because I have read that some people say the best practice is to always copy Trans segments changes to the tune with the proper Engine segments. But other people say it doesn't matter. I haven't done it yet so idk!

The same can be done with the other none 0411 LS PCMs as long as the OS is the same. The 0411 PCM uses the blue and red harness connections. Other LS PCMs use blue and green harness connections. According to Lextech, the repin for each PCM is the same.

In regards to the OP question...

You can use the 0411 PCM from the Suburban you have. That will give you the segments for the Trans and Trans Diagnosis. As far as the segment for the 454? Idk? Did the Express Van ever come with a 454 option? I know it came with a 4.3L option because I found one in the junk yard. If you can find the 454 on a 0411 PCM you can use that for your Engine Segments.

I also think we should also use the Fuel segment from the Express tune to start. The 5.3L has some fuel stuff the 5.7 doesnt. I dont have VCM Editor in front of me at the moment.

I also noticed that VCM Editor allows you to select which engine is being used from a drop down list. Idk it's intended use. I dont remember if the 454 is in there. I'm brand new to this platform.

I know that Lextech has a solution for the 454 4L80e but we need to do this using HPT.
    Last edited by GMRedline; 02-13-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going back to the pick and pull to get an ODB2 port and extra blue connection harness to build a bench harness for flashing.

I'm going to start with Silerado tune on the PCM I got from the junk yard and segment swap the Engine, Engine Diagnosis, and Fuel segments from the Express tune. Repin my engine harness to the LS 80 pin connectors and cross my fingers!

Advanced Tuner
    GMRedline has got it figured out. Having not performed segment swap yet I wasn't thinking about that earlier. I believe your on the right track.

Yeah I think all that makes sense. I do believe since the 0411 came with the 4l80e as an option I don't have to do the segment swap, as you do.

As far as the 454 part goes, there is at least one tune in the repository for a 454 on the 0411 ecm, so that should work as a start for me. It has the 12212156 OS.

I think were getting there guys, I'm also going to give this a try this weekend so we will see what happens.

Good luck redline, let us know how it goes.

Honestly you guys have it figured out. I myself also have a 98 Silverado 5.7 with the 0411 PCM in it. And have done a few for friends. And always done the segment swap with they have the 80e etc. you guys will have no problem. Y'all figured it out on yalls own already.
    And Obsolete489, I would recommend doing a segment swap if you need the 4L80E transmission, as it has all the files for the pressure, and gear ratio etc.
    Last edited by DiceDaLova; 02-15-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Missed a part.

Dice, thanks for verifying that we are all on the right track.

As far as the 4l80e goes, I found a tune in the repository someone did with a 454/4l80e on the 0411 that I was planning to license and then flash to the new computer. So I should be good to go there, I'll make sure to verify that everything looks correct under the trans tab of this tune. It does appear that I will have to license the new computer as well as this tune, which is unfortunate.
    Last edited by Obsolete489; 02-15-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Did you geterdid/good to go 489? Let us know what you ended up finding/adjusting/doing bud,...will prove usefull to future/new users. Thanks man,...

I wasn't able to get the swap done yesterday as I was hoping. I was trying to get both the swap done and new exhaust made, which proved to be too ambitious. The exhaust took priority since it was leaking, and I needed to get the wideband installed before being able to tune anyway.

It'll likely be next weekend before I get a chance to try again, I'll be sure to report back.

Christian

Advanced Tuner
    Man i was hoping for some results today. I just picked up a 2000 2500HD 2wd 7.4 4l80 truck. kudos to you for doing it right (installing wideband first) Hope you get this done soon i'm chomping at the bit for some results.

Sorry for the delay, it never seems like things work out as planned.

Sounds like you got a nice truck. Hopefully I can provide some useful feedback next weekend, although there is no guarantee. I definitely won't wait too long to get this project completed, I've been anxious to tune this thing for quite some time now. The tune that the truck was running on really didn't work all that well, so hopefully this will go well.