Thread: Edelbrock cross-ram intake question

Potential Tuner

Edelbrock cross-ram intake question

Okay...so let me start off by apologizing for any and all errors I make during this thread due to being a "Noob" to tuning...with that said...here goes:

I have a 1965 Impala SS I recently purchased a crate LS376/525 engine for (swapped over all necessary parts i.e. fuel pump etc...)
    I also installed FAST 65lb injectors and the brand new edelbrock cross-ram intake with twin 90mm throttlebodies.

The PCM I bought from a local tuning shop came with the appropriate tune to run the crate motor but my issue is that I don't have room to properly locate a MAF sensor so I have read about doing a "speed-density" tune...so I'm intrigued, yet, completely unknowledgeable about where to even begin with this. I purchased HPTuners so that I can learn the ropes, so to say, but I don't want to start messing with tables and such and detonate my brand new motor.

My main question is...due to running dual throttlebodies (I have installed a controller which syncs both and they are operating properly) along with the new injectors and MAF delete...where do I even begin with the tuning? I turned it over earlier and it busted off then immediately died and did the same thing 3 times in a row, so I paused to post on here and get some advice if possible.

Thank you for all your help,
    Travis

tune file attached
    41Chevyls3525stocktune.hpt

Common on the Nissan 300zx Twin turbo was to go from a single maf to a dual maf setup with a voltage averager or voltage adder. This would make a single maf tune work with dual mafs or double the ability to measure air flow.

Also common was to use a "dummy maf" or just a tube on one bank and run a single maf on the other bank.

So basically you could just run one maf on one bank and double the maf air flow table.

If you aren't going to run a MAF you need to fail it in the tune and run a seperate IAT sensor because the MAF sensor holds the intake air temp sensor.

You need to set the MAF fail high to 2hz, low fail to 1hz, all 3 MAF dtc's (P0101 , 102, 103) to fail on first error in the ENGINE DIAG tab.

You need to plug in the injector data that came with your injectors, you better hope they came with data anyway. If not you'll have to search for it or maybe buy different injectors with solid data. Though I don't even know why you bought bigger injectors if this is a NA build, you more than likely won't outflow the 40ish lb/hr injectors that those motors already came with.

Past that it's learning how everything works and getting yourself very familiar with VVE tuning. You sure didn't pick something easy to learn on that's for sure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Any update on how it turned out? I'm about to go down a similar path. We've got a LS376/525 with the Edelbrock crossram going in to a Porsche Cayman.