Thread: 3.7L Crank Position Relearn

Senior Tuner

Question 3.7L Crank Position Relearn

Anyone had success relearning the 3.7 crank? I dont know if it is fully functional for them. Cannot get it to run here. Temp is 87*, rpm set to 650, redline set at 7k. Says unable....am I missing something guys? And tried to search an answer but couldnt find any more than than the info I listed here.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    21474 SOME VEHICLES COULD EXHIBIT MISFIRE CODES AFTER CERTAIN REPAIRS - MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES

Some vehicles equipped with on board diagnstics (OBD) misfire monitor neutral profile learning capabilities may experience the MIL illuminating accompanied by one or more engine misfire codes P030X if the crankshaft position sensor profile (MP_LRN) is not relearned following certain hard engine repairs. The MP_LRN data is no longer cleared with a KAM reset or battery disconnect.

Repairs that require relearning the MP_LRN data: crank sensor, crank sensor, trigger wheel, engine timing, damper, crankshaft, engine, flywheel/flexplate, clutch (manual trans), pressure plate (manual trans), torque converter (auto trans).

From the IDS toolbox select "POWERTRAIN", then "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", then "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" and follow the prompts.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/

you only need to jiggle the ring a little and you will need to do the relearn. My basic though process is if the transmission comes out for any reason, just do the relearn even if you did did not pull the pressure plate or clutch disc off, just do it.

Senior Tuner
    We have just finished installing a crate motor, new clutch, trans out, the whole shootin' match. But cannot get the function to run. Get to where it prompts that you must set e brake, 80*c....etc. Then when I click ok, it does the pause as it says it will, and then gives a message that it could not initiate the process.

*If it is a manual...depress the clutch!* That did it guys
    Last edited by MMGT1; 02-05-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Answer Found
    2000 Trans Am WS6