Thread: E85 and fuel system limits

E85 and fuel system limits

Where are you guys hitting the wall on e85 in regards to the in tank pump? 2016 Camaro, ported heads, cam with 32% fuel lobe, Maggie Heartbeat, lt4 pump and inj., longtubes, no cats, kb boost-a-pump. Low pressure fuel is dropping down into the 40's with a commanded of 70 which I assume is why the hpfp is dropping. Car is making 670whp cutting the run short at 6000.

6th_Gen_KCV001_injtiming_cal.hpt

E85_cam_lpfp_drop.hpl

Pulley and boost??
    What percent of e85

85mm sc pulley, 9 lbs boost.

We did 718 on a LT1 with cam and vortech v3 unit on it, but we also put LT4 pump and injectors on it. Oddly enough it didn't run out of low side pump. You could try targeting a leaner PE, .76 is usually richer then what i run on ethanol.
    Last edited by meatbag; 02-18-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    We make 736 RWHP Superflow chassis dyno, on E-83 9 psi boost at .78 Lambda and fuel pressure holds up to 6800 then start to fall.

32% lobe, LT4 pump and injectors, ZL-1 in tank pump.

Dropped to E66 and fuel pressure held steady to 7200 for testing.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
    We make 736 RWHP Superflow chassis dyno, on E-83 9 psi boost at .78 Lambda and fuel pressure holds up to 6800 then start to fall.

32% lobe, LT4 pump and injectors, ZL-1 in tank pump.

Dropped to E66 and fuel pressure held steady to 7200 for testing.

Hope this helps.
    Is that car auto or manual? This is an auto. Just installed an lt4 in-tank pump. Low pressure fuel is still mid 40's, but hpfp is good up to 6200 then starts dropping hard. This is on e70. Made 704 at about 8 lbs and 19 deg timing. Seems like it would take more timing, but I wanted to get the fuel issue sorted first. Are you changing any of the fuel pump settings? I am using c7 Z06 settings. Also if I command any more than 25 Mpa for the hpfp it shuts spark off completely. Really seems like once the pulse width gets over 6ms or the hpfp drops below 16 Mpa at higher loads and rpm, the power starts to become effected. Advancing the injection timing out to 360 over 5600 rpm helped a lot with the burn and a cleaner power curve. I tried going 370, but no improvement and it started leaning out. Any other secrets you have?

e85_cam_6400hpfpdrop.hpl

have you read the threads about fueling a DI GenV motor with some HP?

this is why everyone runs meth. there is no solution, there simply isn't time to inject enough fuel in that short window.

we have been talking about this since late 2013.....

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 32vape View Post
    Is that car auto or manual? This is an auto. Just installed an lt4 in-tank pump. Low pressure fuel is still mid 40's, but hpfp is good up to 6200 then starts dropping hard. This is on e70. Made 704 at about 8 lbs and 19 deg timing. Seems like it would take more timing, but I wanted to get the fuel issue sorted first. Are you changing any of the fuel pump settings? I am using c7 Z06 settings. Also if I command any more than 25 Mpa for the hpfp it shuts spark off completely. Really seems like once the pulse width gets over 6ms or the hpfp drops below 16 Mpa at higher loads and rpm, the power starts to become effected. Advancing the injection timing out to 360 over 5600 rpm helped a lot with the burn and a cleaner power curve. I tried going 370, but no improvement and it started leaning out. Any other secrets you have?

e85_cam_6400hpfpdrop.hpl
    He's talking about the lt4 hpfp with a more lift cam lobe. There are also bigger aftermarket pumps available for just this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    He's talking about the lt4 hpfp with a more lift cam lobe. There are also bigger aftermarket pumps available for just this issue.
    Yes. This car has an lt4 hpfp and a cam with a 32% fuel lobe. I was wondering if when we go to a bigger fuel lobe if we need to change any of the pump settings such as Fuel system > fuel pump > fuel pressure > duration max? This hits 130 which is what the max is set to when the pressure starts dropping. Also if anyone has successfully run more than 25 Mpa of fuel pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    have you read the threads about fueling a DI GenV motor with some HP?

this is why everyone runs meth. there is no solution, there simply isn't time to inject enough fuel in that short window.

we have been talking about this since late 2013.....

Yes. I have literally spent a day reading posts on this forum on this topic. I have tuned hundreds of e38/e67 cars, but this is only my 4th SIDI car I have tuned and the first e85 DI car. I understand meth is a workaround to the problem, but most of my customers do not want to deal with a meth tank. I'm just trying to find the absolute limit of each component without it. Looks like a Lingenfelter hpfp and the new Nostrum Energy injectors coming out later this year may be a solution. Although the LPE pump is only a 10% increase.

Yes. I have literally spent a day reading posts on this forum on this topic. I have tuned hundreds of e38/e67 cars, but this is only my 4th SIDI car I have tuned and the first e85 DI car. I understand meth is a workaround to the problem, but most of my customers do not want to deal with a meth tank. I'm just trying to find the absolute limit of each component without it. Looks like a Lingenfelter hpfp and the new Nostrum Energy injectors coming out later this year may be a solution. Although the LPE pump is only a 10% increase.
    E30 or E40 gives 99% of the benefit of E85. Just back it down a little bit. Personally I dont think those parts are going to make a huge difference. It is way to easy to bump airflow vs bumping fueling.....

You will get enough fuel to run what you already have, not really increase it. You will still end up needing meth, whether any of us "want to deal with it" or not. lord knows I hate meth. Our feelings are irrelevant to the situation. ;-)

Advanced Tuner

e85_cam_6400hpfpdrop.hpl
    It is a manual Camaro, I probably should have noted that.

I did use all the LT4 pump control settings.

I also use a JMS fuel max connected to the FPCM which helps a bit with low side fuel pressure and a ZL-1 in tank pump.

Looking at your log vs mine your reporting within 10 crank HP of me 80 lbs a min vs your 81 lbs a min but my injection pulse width is 5.6 for .82 lambda to your 7.1 at .80 lambda

I see your commanding .80 but what is your lambda reading at the tail pipe and is it accurate?

Seems like you putting a lot more fuel through the motor than needed.

I am wondering if your MAF cal is off or your lambda sensor is off.

Your Alcohol percent is 65% mine is 66% so we have very similar set up other than the cam I am sure.

Also you can run .82 lambda for more head room