Thread: Help with 6.0/4l80E swap

Potential Tuner

Exclamation Help with 6.0/4l80E swap

This is my first time using hp tuners and i wanted to make sure what i am about to do is correct. The truck is a 2006 RCSB silverado 1500 4x4 that originally had a 4.8/4l60e Ive just finished swapping a 6.0 lq4/4l80e out of a 2005 silverado 2500. I have the 4l80e conversion harness and additional ISS from speartech also. The trucks OS is 12606807 which i was having a hard time finding tunes for due to searching under silverados. Well i finally found a tune from a 2006 chevy express 2500 with a 6.0/4l80e and the same OS 12606807. Do i simply use the segment swapper utility and swap the engine,engine diagnostic,transmission,transmission diagnostic segments?1426362286 stock express 2500 van.hpt2006 silverado 1500 4x4 stock 4.8 4l60e tune.hpt and i have not licensed any of my files yet, do i just need to license the tune for my truck or do i have to license both of them to be able to get the segments out of the 2500 van tune?

Thanks for the help

You want to be careful about the engine side I think. I know the mid 2000's vans ran cable throttle bodies still, so not everything on the engine side could swap over being that your truck is DBW. I'm not exactly sure what year the express vans went to DBW. It would be worth comparing the files to see what all is different. Watch for tables that relate to throttle body controls.

If it was me I'd do the segment swap with the transmission and just copy over a few the key tables you need for the 6.0 motor. All you really need is the cylinder volume, engine size, MAF table, VE table, Spark timing tables, Injector tables if different size injectors and that's really it. You can fine tune the engine side from there.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 02-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    sorry for my ignorance but is there a simple way to copy over each of those tables?

High light the whole table and right click copy?

Just click the up left box at the beginning of the table, it highlights everything.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    i found a 2006 1500 vortec max file with the factory 6.0 lq9 tune, should i just do a session swap over from that one or is the tuning for the higher compression substantially different ?

You can do whatever you want really.

I was just giving you my suggestion. No matter what you will likely have to do some more fine tuning for the change. If are going to run cheap 87 octane, running a tune with a more aggressive setup or one for a engine with high compression might not work out the best. If you plan to run 91+ octane fuel, they may be able to get away with it but that all comes down to what you plan to do and other tuning you will need to do on the vehicle.

Any of the changes I talked about take 5 minutes to do, if that's too much time to take then I don't have any other suggestions at the moment.

Potential Tuner

Credits

The answer to your question concerning credits is, you will only need to license (spend credits) on your vehicle. You can download as many tunes from the repository as you want. You can open them, look at every part of them and copy as much or little as you like from any of those tunes to your tune without spending any credits. So go ahead & license your vehicle. With that you can write it infinity number of times. Copy & paste or segment swap from other tunes to yours saving each variation as much as you like, for 2 credits. Total. 2 credits to license your vehicle & that's it. So go crazy!
    That said, I'm in the exact boat as you. God willing you'll be very lucky. Swapping motor for motor, tranny for tranny (tune date from another file) she'll fire, run like a champ & you'll be a happy camper. Odds are though, you'll probably need a tune shop anyway since most of us don't own a dyno. I assume you are pretty new to computer tuning. As I am. Tuning is as much art as science. You can tune without a dyno but it requires a lot of consistent runs . Top that with newbie status with it's learning curve & for me, the money spent at the tuners was cheaper than a psychiatrist. just google search "best tune shop for (your vehicle brand) in (your City, State)". Check forums and any posts you can find with feedback on any shops you find. Stipulate you don't want your computer locked! That way you can see the diff. original to their tune. You can then save their tune & make changes if you travel to drastically diff. climate. Then put it back to home tune when out of that climate. I hope I've been some help & I wish you the best of luck! Mark