Thread: Target N

Tuner in Training

Target N

I'm working on tuning my 14 mustang, and it starts and drives great, idles fine after start up, but after I drive some or even give it much throttle sitting still it goes to Target n and hunts for idle. It surges and sometimes shuts off. As long as it's in driver demand it idles fine.

What is target n? Can I just disable it?

Target N is shorthand for "Target Engine Speed", in reference to "N" being used as short hand for Engine Speed.

Target N contains several modes designed to control engine speed using torque. Technically your idle speed control should be done by the Idle Speed Control mode instead.
    Typically Target N in your scenario is only used after dashpot, and before idle speed is actually entered.
    Basically any time the ECU wants to target a set engine speed outside of idle control, it will use Target N. Idle Control itself should be in a different mode.

Do you have a tune you can post?

Tuner in Training
    here's the tune and the last log I made.

bumping this back up. Does anyone know what tables the PCM uses to try and control target N? If it's not dashpot or idle control is it going solely off the ETC throttle idle angle tables or Torque values? Can the transition from dashpot to idle control be tightened up to keep it from going into target N?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    bumping this back up. Does anyone know what tables the PCM uses to try and control target N? If it's not dashpot or idle control is it going solely off the ETC throttle idle angle tables or Torque values? Can the transition from dashpot to idle control be tightened up to keep it from going into target N?
    Target N is controlled via the loss tables primarily. The idea is to hit a desired engine speed and hold it. To do that, you want 0 net torque at that given RPM, so it uses torque control to achieve this by making enough torque to equal the losses at that operating condition, and then much like idle it has a slight torque reserve to cover for any inconsistencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    Target N is controlled via the loss tables primarily. The idea is to hit a desired engine speed and hold it. To do that, you want 0 net torque at that given RPM, so it uses torque control to achieve this by making enough torque to equal the losses at that operating condition, and then much like idle it has a slight torque reserve to cover for any inconsistencies.

"Loss tables" is that an undefined parameter in the current HPtuners editor? Or is that something like the Decel Torque decay table?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    having a similar issue. Can anyone answer the last poster above?

Disable torque decel switch and there's no target n and idle tuning is easy.

Tuner in Training

target n error

just tuned it for flex fuel 2016 gt cold air intake long tube headers no cats
    runs fine on idle when I rev up past 1,000 rpms it goes up too 2,000 on its own and stays there tell I force it back down I drive it hold at 2,000 need help to figure out what setting is wrong
    Attached Files Attached Files