Thread: Copperhead Timing

Tuner in Training

Copperhead Timing

Thank you Eric for the support on this truck
    Great idea to post here for the benefit of all! Hopefully I have summarized enough.
    The truck is a 2010 Rapter with a single turbo.

I understand the spark used is the lowest between base and Borderline. "The Base spark calculation includes MBT, Cylinder Pressure, and Piston Protection".

Attached is a cal, Raptor_Cal_7, and log, Raptor_5, where MBT was reduced resulting in being the "controlling timing". If I look at the log say 4500/1.1 timing is 3.8* and the log shows MBT 10.7*. But the tune at this location in the MBT Mapped Point 0 Table is 12*. Does only Cylinder Pressure and Piston Protection modify the MBT tables. Looking at Tip in I see -5 and Lambda -1.5 can these affect it and are there others. Looking at IAC and ECT there is a base and a modifier which makes sense does interpolation come into play in these tables? Ie. ECT is 174 and the table is 60 @ 100 and 10 @ 180 so could it be pulling close to 10xmodifier? Basically I am trying to understand if the table is commanding 12* how does the engine end up with 3.8*.

Is the Base spark always MBT + modifiers?

The attached cal, Rapter Cal_5, and log, rapter_3, is before I modified the spark tables. At 4500 and 1.1 load it is on mapped point 0. Unfortunately I didn?t have the pids active to see spark source. Timing shows 15.3and 1.8 KR while the MBT Table shows 25.6 and the borderline table 12.5. How do I ensure that I am commanding and obtaining the correct timing.

Does this make sense?
    -Changed all MBT tables back to stock.
    -set ECT multiplier to 0 at 0.9
    -set IAT correction to 0 at 70 (this has meth so the IAT are fairly cool at least on the dyno)
    -set both Lambda spark tables to 0
    The Borderline is set to 10* at above 0.9 load and 2500RPM will it command and the engine receive this.
    File, attached, 2010_Ford_Rapter_Cal_8_26Jan2017 shows these modifications.

Do these make sense and is there anything else I should be looking at.
    Thanks
    Eldon
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TurboCamaro; 03-30-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Senior Tuner
    you should scale your load axis to the load you are seeing. instead of 1.1 it should go up to at least 1.8 or higher from your logs. go to your mis. Spark modifiers and raise the low load maximum to 55 across the whole table. log to see if your spark source is BKT after that rather than base. if not you can reduce your cyl to cyl table from -1 and -2's to just -1 or less. you want your spark source to show BKT. you also are getting comb stability limit which you can raise under torque management.

Tuner in Training
    What injectors and turbo size is on the truck? Just curious as I am finishing up my Tri y turbo manifolds for my 2012 raptor.
    I was going to get some new ID1050x's but I decided I didn't need that much injector and the ford racing 47lb injectors have a wider spray pattern for "better atomization".