Thread: 2012 3.7L v6 Mustang Spark Modifers

Tuner in Training

2012 3.7L v6 Mustang Spark Modifers

Could someone shed some light on why I can't get the commanded spark to stay consistent please? I have the WOT area of the OP table set at 16*. Throughout a pull, it'll still add timing to it. I've gotten help from a couple of different people but still wonder if I'm missing something.

Lambda Base, IAT, ECT, Knock Advance, are modified already. One of the people that I asked for help said it is possible there are some tables not present in this strategy. The only table I can find that still has positive timing in it is the Transient Advance and Retard tables. I don't know if that should affect the timing during a WOT pull though.

I'd like to see if I can get it to command consistent timing without turning off a lot of the VCT Mapped Points or using the Cylinder Pressure Limit.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2012 3.7L v6 Mustang
    1988 5.3 LS RX-7

In for this info as well.

Senior Tuner
    Its not consistent because of the way your torque tables work. Make your DD table smooth and tune the indicated torque/ inverse tables to that DD and you will get consistent timing. you will have to tune the indicated torque and inverse tables using the IPC wheel torque error and scheduled torque after making the DD table smooth so that your load progresses smoothly. The indicated torque tables are the torque the engine would makes with Stoich AFR, MBT Spark, and STD conditions. Because of this there is no precise way of logging or dyno tuning these tables as the engine would knock before it got to MBT so its a hypothetical torque value. you just have to log IPC and make small adjustments and reduce it as close to 0 as possible to make the ECU happy.

The DD table should reflect the actual torque the engine makes as accurately as possible for given RPM and pedal position. Older tunes ramped the torque up to peak torque at the RPM its made and held it there until redline. some start at peak torque until where it makes it and then fall off. you can revert back to either method to have an easier time tuning your timing. The DD table can be anything you want to give the pedal feel you want, as long as you tune your indicated/ inverse tables and don't encounter a limit from your modification.
    Last edited by murfie; 01-26-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks murfie for the informative reply. I'm trying to wrap my head around what you just said. So as I understand it, the DD table is rough so the DD table is asking for torque from other Torque Calculations tables other than Engine Torque OP during WOT conditions? Thus causing causing it to pull from different Mapped Points and not just OP?

At parts of the log, there even at 100% OP, the timing stays around 16.5* and starts adding towards the end of the rpm range. Is that also caused by the DD and torque/inverse tables not being correct?

Senior Tuner
    TQ-timing peak.PNG

This is the area I was looking at of your logs.
    Yes the timing adds in OP mode because of the DD table, but not because it is wrong. Just because the way its shaped at WOT.
    The reason why the first part of this pull was not in OP and the second was is not because of the DD table. More likely traction control which can cut fuel, pull timing, or close the throttle. It looks like it was pulling timing.
    ETC is DD torque values.
    Scheduled torque is torque calculation values.
    From 4100 RPM to 5700 RPM the DD table falls off but not fast after 5700 it falls off fast. The schedule torque follows this torque path. Part of the calculated schedule torque value is the MBT spark. As it falls off the MBT spark goes up. This in turn pulls the borderline spark up. You have your knock advance limit set to 0 so it only adds to the borderline based on the MBT value if it doesnt sense knock.

you can do two things for consistent timing.

Make your DD table have consistent WOT values and tune your calculated torque tables to low IPC torque error.
    or
    make your MBT timing tables follow the same path as your borderline tables. AKA make the bottom two rows of your OP MBT something like 25* similar to how you made you borderline tables 16*.