Thread: 48re to Nv5600 swap

Potential Tuner

Exclamation 48re to Nv5600 swap

I have disabled the auto trans option in my stock tune file. When i reflash my truck it still thinks its an auto. What am i doing wrong? I am also very new to HP tuners so i may be doing something wrong on the re flashing of the truck. 05 dodge ram 3500 4x4. any help would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to drive my truck finally but with it still trying to recognize the auto transmission it is throwing error codes and will flash the headlights.

Tuner in Training
    Did you disable it in the trans section?

Potential Tuner
    Yes disabled in the trans section and also have disabled a few DTC's and currently get no DTC's when i start the truck but it still thinks its an auto. I cant get rid of the P R N D lights and they are still flashing around those lights and headlights and taillights are still flashing.

Potential Tuner
    hey was there a answer for this issue im having the same problem??

Potential Tuner
    not yet, if or when i do i will let you know

I'm not an expert on this swap but I had a hand in this swap many years ago helping a friend and we had to replace the PCM and it had to be flashed using the CAL from one of his original manual truck. I myself have not tuned any diesels with HPT, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but are they not getting into the Cummins ECM? I would think yes, because that is what controls the engine, now the PCM on the truck is taking care of the rest, so there is the issue, the trucks PCM thinks it's an auto, you have changed it in the ECM but that is half the battle. The ECM and PCM communicate to know when to shift and all that, remember the PCM controls the transmission IF your truck does not have a separate TCM which I do not think it does, if I had the last 8 of your VIN I could find out for sure. Can you get into the ECM and PCM with HPT?

Potential Tuner
    Also interested in more information

Potential Tuner
    I can get into the ECM, my year of truck is a write only. I was told by a tuner that i can fully disable the auto transmission with HPT. He unfortunately is too busy to help me with this. Another tuner replied to me and told me that he has done what i am trying to do with success and offered to look at my file but he hasn't responded back to me yet. I asked HPT support again and they said the engineers say this isn't supported. At this point in time i'm planning on going to the dealer and if they cant load a manual base file into my truck i am going to have to find someone with a smarty and get a manual base tune loaded into my truck.

Right and see we did this on an '01. I don't remember if my buddy had changed the ECM on the engine...I don't think he did because it really doesn't care to much but the PCM is what took care of his issues. I remember that because he brought the truck up to the dealer on a trailer and his other truck (the pulling truck) was a manual and same year, he picked up a reman PCM and I used that same flash file. But the PCM was also ordered under the VIN for the original manual truck he had. I think this may be what's holding you back as well, idk. But if that year HPT can't get into the PCM your fighting a losing battle.

Those considering this do not do it. Just browsing trans stuff as I build for a living and do build a lot of standards and a shit ton of these as they have major flaws and just fail. They have a lube issues and the back side doesn't get enough oil on long hwy runs. Go on a trip with a load it is dead. Runs out of oil to tail end and rear bearing gives up and normally breaks the main shaft and destroys the case. Just had to pay 1200 bucks for a buildable core that was near junk. Getting harder to find with not many out there and many now turned to dust. Just a warning for those considering the swap as just this year I have had to do 6 and 4 needed cases and main shafts over a 3000 dollar fix. I build many autos too but built right the 48re is a beast.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    Those considering this do not do it.
    Oh come on now, you are shattering dreams!! Way back in the day when I bought my '01 2500 4x4 it was a 5-speed, got me a core 6-speed and freshened it up, had to have a NV5600 for the southbend dual disk clutch. Over 10 years, 300k miles and over 1000 ft lbs of torque and I'm still rolling down the road. There is a trick for you guys with the NV5600, change fluid often, put a cooler on it and most importantly...over fill it buy about 1/2 quart. <<--- this is the must, it makes it a pain to pull the shifter out at every service, but it saves them. The fill hole is to low, so fill it to the hole screw in the fill plug then add a 1/2 quart through the shift hole on the top of the trans. I actually don't even have a cooler on mine, and all my many friends and customers have a couple hundred thousand miles on them with no issues. But yes, IF you have 100k on your truck and have never changed the fluid and some has seeped out, you are in danger of burning up the rear mainshaft bearing, the case is not designed to feed it very well and are prone to burning up. Just keep in mind maintenance is your friend!