Thread: Whipple iat2

Whipple iat2

Whipple is using the IMRC plug for their downstream air temp, anyone know how to use that with the software

This is a 15-16 coyote control pack

Advanced Tuner
    Just split the MAF. This will let the ECM continue to control timing and other stuff using the IAT PID, which would not be IAT2 since the MAF was split. Much easier this way...

I agree, although the shop that did the install has wired it this way per whipples instructions and let me know for tuning purposes, i did suggest they wire it into maf IAT, we shall see if that happens. i am more or less asking tho if anyone has worked with one this way for my own education.

Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Could have sworn they either split the MAF or didn't use IAT2 at all on their front feed 2.9L blower. I remember a thread on SVTP saying they IAT2 wasn't used on their kit, but could be used if you split the MAF, let me try and find the thread

Edit:

Found the threads:

Post #4 was mine, further below someone else posts his harness for splitting MAF. No clue where they got the idea to use the IMRC pigtail, even if it's a 0-5v reference, the PID wouldn't work for IAT. Also IMRC is all disabled in the tune when you go to a blower set up, so that should disable their PIDs too(havent actually tested yet for IMRC yet, but on flex fuel if you disable the logic, it also disabled the ethanol percentage PID).

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ow-to.1120255/

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...o-this.947809/
    Last edited by Jn2; 01-18-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Senior Tuner
    The sensors work on a data bus. They have their own ID number that they recognize when the ecu calls for it. It doesn't matter where on the bus they are connected into. Really the only thing that matters is if the connectors fit or you spliced into the correct wires. When you disable things like IMRC or flex fuel you are not disabling wires or pins. You are just telling the ECU it doesn't need to pay any attention to that sensor or information. Thinking about ethanol percentage parameter isn't a sensor but actually fuel trim logic that is calculated.

You would probably need support to add the enable switch to your strategy for iat2 and enable it. Then it would give you a reading in your scanner as well as allow the ecu to use it for controlling the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    The sensors work on a data bus. They have their own ID number that they recognize when the ecu calls for it. It doesn't matter where on the bus they are connected into. Really the only thing that matters is if the connectors fit or you spliced into the correct wires. When you disable things like IMRC or flex fuel you are not disabling wires or pins. You are just telling the ECU it doesn't need to pay any attention to that sensor or information. Thinking about ethanol percentage parameter isn't a sensor but actually fuel trim logic that is calculated.

You would probably need support to add the enable switch to your strategy for iat2 and enable it. Then it would give you a reading in your scanner as well as allow the ecu to use it for controlling the engine.
    It'd be nice if this is how it worked, but unfortunately none of the ECUs actually do this. Pins are assigned by the Low Level Drivers at compile time. Set in stone. The only pins that support something kind of like what you're talking about is there's a way to copy temperature measured at one spot into another, but I haven't seen any software expose it. This doesn't "swap" the sensors, merely copies the value to another as an override.

If Whipple has one where they use the IMRC as IAT2, they have a custom strategy that allows it most likely.