Thread: 05 gt no start after rain

Tuner

05 gt no start after rain

Well just like the title says right after a heavy rain it just wouldn't start up every now and then it tries to hit injectors are firing haven't checked the coils yet but it seems like they're not hidden and when this happens I can't talk to the Computer with then loger nor can I flash it anymore just seems to me that there's some sort of weird computer issue going on or ground however I do have a Snap-On scan tool and it communicates just fine??? Any ideas

Advanced Tuner
    05 had a issue of leaking right above the smart junction box causing allot of issues you might want to check that

Tuner
    PULLED BOX FULL OF MUD dam cleaning it and going to re install see what we got after

Advanced Tuner
    After I take them apart and clean them I always put a good coat of dielectric grease on it before I put it back into the case to help prevent against any corrosion or future water problems

Tuner
    Cleaned it and still no start and got a new on still no start we have fuel and spark

Advanced Tuner
    I would check the fuel pour some out and see if you can light it. Also you may still have an electrical issue there are some grounds around the smart junction box where the water comes in make sure there not corroded.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you scan the ECU?

Tuner
    Didn't think about fuel will check and I could scan once I cleaned it now no but I am going to reload hp see if that help

was it driving in the heavy rain or just sitting.

Tuner
    sitting when its talking i can flash it and scan it but no start. then after a time say like 5 min it stops talking ???

Tuner
    so after cleaning grounds and changing smart box still no start went to ford and talked to a master tech he said we need to flash the smart box he said even with spark and fuel it stlll may not start ????

Tuner
    Which Weird Al got fuel and I've got Spark still no crank Weaver place the smart junction box and cleaned all grounds am I missing a ground somewhere

Advanced Tuner
    I've had issues out of the ground on the radiator support there should be 2 above the passenger side headlight close to the radiator cover. I had one not too long ago that was a bad ground and the injectors were only getting 5 or 6 volts and caused a no start issue. You say you have fuel but is it actually spraying? You can have pressure at the rail and voltage at the injectors but if not enough it will crank and not start. How are you testing for fuel?

Advanced Tuner
    Also these grounds go straight into the PCM harness so might be part of your issue with talking to the computer its not getting enough voltage either.

Tuner
    so i have cleaned those i am checking with noid light and it is flashing on crank and i am smelling fuel after she cranks i will put the ohm meter to it

Advanced Tuner
    Well sounds like your getting fuel you can test with a multimeter too put them it in the plug and crank it over and see if it gets 12v's when it pulses. If you are getting spark and fuel and you haven't changed anything timing wise the pcm may not be commanding the throttle body to open up that's all I can think of......it could be a multitude of things I've even seen bad temp sensors give a large negative temp reading making it hard to start and idle.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there any codes on the dash or read it and see if there are any codes pending.....you can also hook your scanner up to it with the key on engine off and look for any sensors giving any abnormal reading

Advanced Tuner
    The only other ground I can think of that you may have missed but shouldnt give you issue for the engine starting is the ground under the intake for the ABS module when this ground is bad or the ABS module is shorted out it cause issue with the instrument cluster talking other controllers but I've never seen it cause a no start issue. Have you checked all the fuses for anything related and the ones in the new SJB I know this sounds.....I don't mean to sound like your dumb but I have seen very experienced techs miss this and I mean pull it out and visually inspect sometimes a fuse can almost melt the contact inside but still be intact and read 12v at the fuse but resistance is too great.
    Last edited by Devildog1325; 02-02-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Tuner
    Well I don't mind it's always good to have a voice of reason helping you go back through it I have checked for power at the Smart junction box we've even replaced it and have all new fuses and relays in it I have not yet gotten back to the vehicle to test for voltage at the injectors and the ground under the intake is loose I have put it on live data I don't see any sensors giving off data that should keep it from starting now the throttle body being closed that could be a problem and I didn't look at that I will look at it and see if it's being command open with the throttle and there are no pending codes

Tuner
    Well I figured out what's going on with the communication pulled a known good car up that I've already tuned and wouldn't you know I can't communicate with it either like there's something going on the software going to email support I have not tried to program or scan three completely different Ford's none of which are talking on my system