Thread: Does tuning your car affect the motor oil??

Potential Tuner

Does tuning your car affect the motor oil??

Alright so I'm going to lay it all out for you guys.. just recently street tuned my 2012 mustang 3.7 on 93oct, car has CAI and cat delete. Running strong, oil changed was done about 2 months ago has not passed 3,000 miles with Castro Full synthetic. I popped the hood today to check oil and it was pretty dark.. just wondering does tuning your engine affect oil life?

If you drive the piss out of it, yeah.

The more heat cylces the oil see's and the higher the temps get the faster it wears out. Dark oil doesn't mean it's bad though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I run Amsoil Signature in my blown daily driver. It changes color to a dark orange after I hit the Auto-X or strip after a few weekends. It is really nothing to worry about unless you exceed the recommended change interval. Amsoil claims 10K with Signature, but I still change it after 3K miles. Never can be too safe....
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Senior Tuner
    The color isn't too good of an indicator. If it's white that could indicate moisture. If it's dark really doesn't tell you any thing could just be the additives working or high heat. Is the oil dark and thick? That would indicate contamination. Maybe it's been dusty where you are and your CAI needs to be cleaned or it has not been doing a good job in the first place. Does it smell like gasoline? Could be running rich or have worn rings. In that case running it 'rich and safe'could be the culprit. I've also seen running a richer WOT to add a few more degrees of timing. So yes a tune can effect you oil life. A good tune isn't very likely to though.