Thread: AFM Delete

Tuner in Training

AFM Delete

I am new to tuning and therefore dumb to all those of have done this stuff. Anyways I have an 07 Yukon with a 5.3L. I have deleted all of the AFM mechanical parts, plugged the oil manifold ports and I am looking to manipulate the software to keep it out of 4 cylinder mode. I have no idea how to do this in any way shape or form. I don't know if I download someone's tune or do something on my own to get stop it going into 4 cylinder mode. Any help would be appreciated. Please dumb it down for me. I am a master tech so the automotive stuff I will understand its just the tuning that I am new to. Thanks for all of the help.

Just use the master enable/disable feature in the VCM Editor.

Engine > Fuel > COT, Lean Cruise > DOD enable/disable drop down menu. That all there is too it.

If you want to be 100% sure and as a back up, just scroll down to "DISABLE BY GEAR" and set every gear to 1. Having 0 means it's active in that gear and 1 means it's disabled.

You must be in advanced view to see all tables and just leave it this way. Edit > View > Advanced.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Just use the master enable/disable feature in the VCM Editor.

Engine > Fuel > COT, Lean Cruise > DOD enable/disable drop down menu. That all there is too it.

If you want to be 100% sure and as a back up, just scroll down to "DISABLE BY GEAR" and set every gear to 1. Having 0 means it's active in that gear and 1 means it's disabled.

You must be in advanced view to see all tables and just leave it this way. Edit > View > Advanced.
    When flashing, how important is it that the door is shut and all accessories are turned off. I went to write calibration and seemed like nothing changed. Still tries to go into 4 cylinder mode so I am not sure where I went wrong. I disabled the master DOD and changed the gears.

Post the tune you tried to write.

Perhaps something didn't save or create the "new" tune file again from the stock one and try to write it again. You should have all accessories off and the doors closed to prevent any extra draw on the electrical system.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    How can I upload the file to here? Or what do you use to do it?

Hit "go advanced" and there's a button for adding attachments

Tuner in Training

It should disable it the way it's set.

Did you try writing it again to the vehicle?

Try maxxing out all the other settings there too. Set the minimum temp to 400+ degrees and the minimim vehicle speed to be like 300mph. It should never enter DOD with settings like that.

Tuner in Training
    I did set the temp to 400 and just didn't save it to the file but still did a write and it still didn't work. I have written it more than several times and nothing seems to have changed other than the cluster display never changes from V8 mode to V4 mode as it is always on V8. Wonder if I should try changing some other stuff for fun just to see if anything is ever really changing. For the most part as far as I can tell this tuner doesn't work.

If the cluster never changes to V4 mode, then the truck isn't trying to do it.

Even log it with the scanner to make sure it's not going into V4 mode. I think you have other issues. If all the parts are gone and solenoids in the valley plate are gone it can't try and drop to V4 mode.

Senior Tuner
    shut the codes off as well. Some may or may not run well with just the master switch flipped.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Scan tool counts misfires on 1,7,4,and 6. Goes away above idle or running down the road. Solenoid plate is there and unplugged

Tuner in Training
    I will give that a shot. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brettydean12 View Post
    Scan tool counts misfires on 1,7,4,and 6. Goes away above idle or running down the road. Solenoid plate is there and unplugged
    If you are trying to run a DOD cam with non DOD lifters you will get misfires on the four DOD cylinders from idle to about 1200 rpm. You must change the cam to a non DOD cam. If it is setting codes for the DOD solenoids, P3401, P3425, P3441, P3449, it will not fire the injectors for the DOD cylinders while those codes are set.

Tuner in Training
    Great. Well I read that wrong. Never mind. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.