Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Flex Fuel / E85 Tuning

Tuner

Question about Flex Fuel / E85 Tuning

After setting up everything normally following a stock GM holden cal, which spark table do we actual use for Flex fuel timing?

"flex fuel spark" or alcohal tab under AFR correction? I've already setup multi vs comp table but wondering which is the correct table to add to.

Tuning Addict
    Flex fuel spark...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    I figured as much just wanted to confirm - I've been doing alot of research and seeing people doing alot of different stuff, just wanted to confirm my thoughts, thankyou.

What about a good bases to start from? Should i start with adding 4-5 degrees and go from there?
    Last edited by ddtech; 01-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Senior Tuner
    i just changed to flex also but ive been running E85 for a while now so i just found an old timing table for when i was on petrol and copied that to the main spark table then done a compare to my E85 table and copied over the added difference to the flex spark table, i havent tuned my spark for best hp/torque yet but it was mostly around 4-5 in the mid to mid boost areas and couple up top but ive prob still got room to go further when i get some dyno time

You can always do a paste special-->add or subtract to add/subtract from your main timing table. I usually take the flex fuel spark table, copy it, paste special (add) to high octane table just to see what it'll look like. Then when you're done you can paste special (subtract) to pull that timing back out. It's easier to see what you're going to end up with that way.

Question concerning the flex fuel Multi vs. Composition table. Seems it's either 0 or 100% no matter what's put into the table for different alcohol compositions. It that just an anomaly? Say I want only 50% timing add and put 0.50 in the table, I still get 100% timing add (or multiplier of 1.0) - e.g., from the alcohol PE table.
    2013 Camaro LSX433 with TFS 245cc cat heads
    AGP 65/65 Twin Turbos into BTR Equalizer intake
    BTR 237/247 .610"/.601" 116+5 (10* overlap) cam
    ID-1700x on AGP Fore Triple w/ Flex Fuel sensor
    Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT box | custom anti-lag

Tuner
    My Multi vs comp
    0 0.25 0.850 0.925 1.000

Quote Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
    Question concerning the flex fuel Multi vs. Composition table. Seems it's either 0 or 100% no matter what's put into the table for different alcohol compositions. It that just an anomaly? Say I want only 50% timing add and put 0.50 in the table, I still get 100% timing add (or multiplier of 1.0) - e.g., from the alcohol PE table.
    I should have been more clear. When data logging and I get into PE, I see the "PE Advance" as a full 6*, which is the full value in my table even when my Multi vs. Composition table says it's suppose to be two-thirds that (e.g., for 50-60% alcohol it's set to 0.667). Logging shows I get the full 6* instead of the expected 4* (6* x 0.667). The Multi tables seems to be a all or nothing result - are you seeing that too?

Tuning Addict
    Alcohol PE table? Assume that your referring to the composition table? Just wanted to make sure. I haven't seen this before if you are.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    I should have been more clear. When data logging and I get into PE, I see the "PE Advance" as a full 6*, which is the full value in my table even when my Multi vs. Composition table says it's suppose to be two-thirds that (e.g., for 50-60% alcohol it's set to 0.667). Logging shows I get the full 6* instead of the expected 4* (6* x 0.667). The Multi tables seems to be a all or nothing result - are you seeing that too?
    Never mind my questions. Have you verified with delivered timing that your actually getting the full 6 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Alcohol PE table? Assume that your referring to the composition table? Just wanted to make sure. I haven't seen this before if you are.
    Spark > Advance > Spark Correction > AFR Correction > Alcohol -- PE/COT Advance Correction (Alcohol vs. RPM vs EQ Ratio)

My latest runs with E85 (sensor reading 69.8%) and had the logged PE/COT Advance reading the full 6* (which is what I have in that table). I'm getting the full amount versus a percentage (expected 6* x 0.667 = 4* but I'm logging 6*).

Multi vs. Composition table:
    % 0 25 50 75 100 %
    Interpolation Factor 0 0 0.67 1 1

Tuning Addict
    That's why your having problems - your using the wrong spark table - the one your using will only add what you put into it, which is why it's not recommended to use

The one you need to use should be under misc - flex fuel spark... This is the one that the composition table will divide up...

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    That's why your having problems - your using the wrong spark table - the one your using will only add what you put into it, which is why it's not recommended to use

The one you need to use should be under misc - flex fuel spark... This is the one that the composition table will divide up...
    Ok, thanks. I suppose you can't always believe the description for the tables at the bottom of the tab page when hovering the mouse over it, which states "The multiplier is used to modify the PE/COT Spark and Flex Fuel Spark...," which is why I thought it was okay to use for various (percentage) grades of E85. I've transitioned over to the Flex Fuel Spark table - looks to be much more versatile, and zeroed out the PE/COT Spark table.

Tuner
    After some research and some helpful understanding from @Ghuggins, Yea, the box, "AFR correction" is spark for only AFR correction, the actual table you use is FLEX fuel spark.

Tuner
    I also want to add, from what i've learned thank to others, that make sure your 93 table is tuned fully - people see huge gains because most of the time their tables aren't fully tuned and are just blah.. Take the time to make sure everything is in good, working order.

The composition table absolutely applies to the Gas vs. Alcohol PE adder tables.

Typically, if you're really going to invest a ton of time into optimizing it, you'll work through both the PE adder and the global table for the ethanol spark adders.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW, I had a 06 Vette that we put a D1SC, flex fuel sensor, E85, etc, etc.

When adding the additional timing for the E85 in the "Flex Fuel spark table" it would show the timing in the log but I believe it wasn't actually adding it.

The reason I say this is if I put the added timing in the high octane table I would see an increase in power, if I add it in the flex fuel spark table(and take it out of the high octane table" I'd loose a bunch of power.

Was I adding it in the wrong table?

I had mine do what felt like weird things like that before--extra timing showed up in total timing and showed up as ethanol advance as if it was being added, but after adding the flex fuel values to the high octane table and zeroing out the flex fuel table it felt like a different car. Didn't have it on a dyno but it was an obvious difference. I always just assumed it was mental but who knows.

Curious to see if anyone else has had this issue
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I had mine do what felt like weird things like that before--extra timing showed up in total timing and showed up as ethanol advance as if it was being added, but after adding the flex fuel values to the high octane table and zeroing out the flex fuel table it felt like a different car. Didn't have it on a dyno but it was an obvious difference. I always just assumed it was mental but who knows.

Curious to see if anyone else has had this issue
    EXACTLY! This car was on our dyno and can promise it wasn't mental. I didn't know if was due to it being a bastard 05-06 E40 ECU or if this carried over to other PCM's.

I've used that table on E38's before and it worked as expected (that one was on the dyno so I'm sure of it)

Might be a weird E40 thing since no E40 came with flex fuel from the factory?
    Last edited by schpenxel; 01-03-2017 at 02:44 PM.