Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a ZL1 VE table to begin my SS supercharged tuning

Tuner in Training

Using a ZL1 VE table to begin my SS supercharged tuning

I have a 2014 SS that I just installed an SLP supercharger onto. SLP provided a can tune for their setup. They updated the MAF table and others, but have the car running off the MAF sensor only and disabled the dynamic fueling (VE). The VE table is still stock. I was wondering if I can pull a stock ZL1 tune from the repository and use that VE table as a template to begin my VVE tuning? My car is a 2014 (VVE w/ equations) and the tune I found is from a 2013.

Better than nothing

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. It's better than just starting with the stock SS table. Just slowly work your way up the table being careful. Make sure you disable your MAF completely when tuning VE. You need to remove the MAF logging pid from your scanner completely while doing VE runs or it will still be referenced. Some people even zero out the MAF table in the tune as well to make absolutely sure it's not being used.

Tuner in Training
    I currently do not have a wideband, so I am only going to do the parts of the table that are being commanded stoich.
    I plan to log the commanded air/fuel against the VE table to see where exactly the stoich areas are so I can avoid any PE areas.

Advanced Tuner
    Do yourself a huge favor. Get a wideband. Best $150 you'll ever spend and then you can do it right in the PE region with afr error.

And you don't have to worry about any funny logging of stoich...just set up your LTFT table and go for it. The fuel trims go to zero whenever PE is enabled so you'll just get zero's in the table.

Tuning Addict
    Just make sure that you're logging and paying attention to open and close loop status. Fuel trims will still show up in open loop and you don't want to make corrections off of those. It'll also probably still go into open loop depending on the PE settings. Not a bad thing if it does, just be aware that it's possible.

Tuner in Training
    I already have a wideband just need to install it. how do I get the signal into hptuners? just have the basic

Tuner
    Did you buy the pro version or standard? And which wideband do you have?
    Last edited by ABADZL1; 12-19-2016 at 06:47 PM.

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
    Did you buy the pro version or standard? And which wideband do you have?
    I have the standard version. I believe the guage is an AEM, not sure of the exact model number of the top of my head

Then there's no easy way to do it with the hardware you have today.

You'll have to either wire it through the AC pressure sensor and come up with formulas to use it or you could get one of the AEM 30-0333 widebands and use that instead. It feeds wideband info over the CAN bus (via OBD port). Advantage being you don't need a pro interface then and you don't have to mess with the AC pressure sensor or anything else weird like that. Disadvantage being you'd have to buy one.. $225 or so from Summit
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
    I have the standard version. I believe the guage is an AEM, not sure of the exact model number of the top of my head
    If your wideband has a serial output you can log that in HPTuners standard. If you end up buying a new wideband I recommend getting one with a serial output in addition to the standard analog outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post

You'll have to either wire it through the AC pressure sensor and come up with formulas to use it or you could get one of the AEM 30-0333 widebands and use that instead. It feeds wideband info over the CAN bus (via OBD port). Advantage being you don't need a pro interface then and you don't have to mess with the AC pressure sensor or anything else weird like that. Disadvantage being you'd have to buy one.. $225 or so from Summit
    You can also use the fuel tank pressure sensor input and disable EVAP codes while tuning (or look at a check engine light for FTP values being out of range). I have mine hooked up through the FTP sensor full time and its very handy. The formula is not hard at all to figure out, especially if your wideband has a serial output that you can use a reference.

Good idea using that and leaving AC working and serial is another option as well to just use that instead

Tuner in Training
    This one has a serial wire and a 5v wire. Now got to figure out how to get it into HPT now to log

I'd give serial a shot
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    When adding a new PID to log just search for AEM and it will filter the list down and include it as a built in serial device that you can log. I did it with my old wideband for a while and it works but analog / CAN is so much faster.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post

... the AEM 30-0333 widebands and use that instead. It feeds wideband info over the CAN bus (via OBD port)...
    How do you hook both the wideband and the hptuner module to the OBD port at the saem time to log???

Senior Tuner
    I have the wideband he mentioned now and love it compared to my old AEM. The wideband has a cable with a male and female end that connects to the OBD port and the HP Tuners box connects to the wideband port.

OBD port in car -> Wideband OBD Male/Female adapter -> HP Tuners box.

When you hook it up you can find your wideband in your list of parameters to log just like any other parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    You can also use the fuel tank pressure sensor input and disable EVAP codes while tuning (or look at a check engine light for FTP values being out of range). I have mine hooked up through the FTP sensor full time and its very handy. The formula is not hard at all to figure out, especially if your wideband has a serial output that you can use a reference.
    Nice one. I used AC pressure for Fuel pressure and have to plug/unplug. Only takes a second to do it though.

Know the pin number on the ECM connector for the FTP?
    2012 C6 Base, Kooks 1-7/8" LT, Catted, NPP
    Novi 1500SL, 10% OD IW, Big Blower Cam, Flip Drive, 2x Alky, ID1000
    Nitto NT05R 305x19, 255x18 on CCW T10s
    Self built and tuned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod2UTqrVwM

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
    How do you hook both the wideband and the hptuner module to the OBD port at the saem time to log???
    It's a male/female plug. One side plugs into the OBD port, then HPT plugs into it

Tuner in Training
    Stupid question, but how do you get power to the unit? Did it get powered by the obd2 port?