Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Axis Values - 2012 Sonic 1.4

Tuner

Adjusting Axis Values - 2012 Sonic 1.4

More specifically on the timing tables, the spark airmass values only go up to .75 gm/s.

I've always avoided changing those values for fear of messing something else up.

Is it OK?

I'd like to start at about .06 at .3 increments which should put me up to about 1.02. That should give me a lot of room under heavier boost to have more control over the timing tables (between .75 and 1.05).

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, it is okay to adjust your axis values.

It is very easy to hit past the stock set .75 g when you raise the boost level on the 1.4L turbo engines.

I personally set up the table starting at factory .04 g to 1.00 g, which is .03 g increments.

But be aware that you will have to rescale the entire table, it will not rescale itself when you change the axis value. (for example: my commanded timing in row .40 g will actually be the commanded timing in row .58 g without rescaling it). So the way I normally go about fixing that is to open up the stock calibration and open up that same stock calibration up as the compare file and then make the change to the axis vlaues. Then I copy the correct rows commanded timing values from the compared stock calibration file and paste it to the modified calibration that you changed the axis values on. Need to one row at a time (example: copy row .40 g from the stock compared file and paste it to your modified file row .40 g). That will get you a good starting point, and then obviously you will need to remove timing on all the rows that are above .75 g to make a good smooth transition throughout your timing table.

Also note once you change the axis value for your High Octane table, it will automatically make the same change to the High Octane DP table, Low Octane table, HO (DOD) table and LO (DOD) table).

Hopefully that makes sense. Sorry for not very great details.

Tuner
    Very much. Thanks for sharing the info.

Have you ever run into what feels like valve float at about 5.5k? It does it again at about 6200 if it makes it past the 5500 mark.

Advanced Tuner
    No, I can say that I do not notice a feeling like valve float. Are you sure, the feeling you might be feeling is boost dropping off? Also see what kind of timing you are running when you feel it.

And also look at your commanded AFR. You might be entering one of the following, which could be causing the engine to run very rich to try and cool the engine down/ keep the engine safe, Knock Enrichment (look to see if you have any knock happening), Hot Engine Enrichment (should not be this in less you changed the factory settings to a lower point), Piston Protection, CAT Over Temp Protection or Turbo Over Temp Protection. Any of those tables can cause the engine to run richer than your set commanded AFR if there are left to factory setting. Adjustments to those tables depends on your modifications (example: CAT deleted or not).

Tuner
    All of those are disabled. The downpipe cat is replaced with a ZZP downpipe, as well as the rest of the exhaust (with cat though). Commanded is in the 12.5 range. I forget exactly. It is specifically 1 and 4 showing up on the misfire graphs. Timing is in the 2-3 range with no knock. Occasionally 1-2 degrees in the 3600-4k range. The logs shows no fuel cutoff reason. The boost does raise up significantly when it starts. Typically it tails off to about 218-220 kpa at 6k. It's at about 225 kpa when it starts and it shots up to around 260 kpa when by the time it falls on its face.

My manual vac/pressure gauge shows about 22 PSI at 5000-5500.

Senior Tuner
    log the actual tb percentage versus demand. i bet the tb is closing.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    Nope.

I log pedal position and throttle.

Senior Tuner
    post log and file.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    I knew that was coming.

I didn't drive my car today. I'll try and get one tomorrow.

sounds like valve spring float...
    i already said in another topic, that these engines suffer from backpressure when boost gets past 210kpa at high rpm, turn down booost a bit and it should go away.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dertobi View Post
    sounds like valve spring float...
    i already said in another topic, that these engines suffer from backpressure when boost gets past 210kpa at high rpm, turn down booost a bit and it should go away.

This ^^^^^

Flyer, based on your description it sounds like you could be running into a valve float/misfire situation. Just went through this with my Cruze a few months ago. Acted like some kind of weird mysterious fuel cut that I didn't actually have. After pulling my hair out for a couple weeks with it I contacted a guy who has tuned MANY of these 1.4t platforms and he gave me a tremendous amount of help and insight on these 1.4t motors. Basically in a nutshell on my car anytime I would get up around 5600 rpm and over the car would fall on it's face. O2 sensor values would drop right off like the sucker was running out of fuel when the car was nosing over. Well what was happening was valve float which in turn was of course leading to misfires which as most tuners know any unburned fuel (which would be from the misfiring) going past the O2's will show as a lean condition. The second part of this was then I was seeing a crazy boost spike. Well this was due to the misfires and the unburned fuel ending up spontaneously igniting after the fact which would spool the shit out of the turbo and make the valve float even worse.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    After just reading your post #5 again I am almost positive you've got some valve float happening. And yes my main misfires were also happening on cylinders #1 and #4.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    These motors have some weak weak ass valve springs and once the motor gets some miles on them (I'm at almost 90k) they just of course get weaker and weaker.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    That is exactly what I'm seeing. From the boost spike, leaning out apperance, and black smoke (fuel burning in the turbo / exhausr) from the tailpipe. I know my 60 pound injectors aren't running out of fuel though.

I had a feeling that' what it was but I was kind of in denial.

Does anyone have any suggestion for valve springs that are reasonable? $350 or even $250 would be reasonable if they included new hardware and maybe titanium locks as a bonus. That is a reference to a couple of popular vendors selling springs for these at what I feel an unreasonable right. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's steep for some small springs.

Advanced Tuner
    Where I should had caught it on mine in the logs but didn't until it was pointed out to me directly was watch MAF airflow vs Dynamic airflow once the car starts nosing over. The MAF airflow value will start dropping off like a rock where the dynamic airflow stays the same. That's the biggest indicator of the valve float. Next time you are logging your car check it out or if you had both PIDs in past logs go take a look.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    Was pissed at myself for not catching it on mine because I have been tuning for quite some time and I completely missed the boat on that issue! Lol.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    I'm not sure I log dynamic airflow. Thanks for the info though.

Advanced Tuner
    As far as price for springs I haven't done my homework on that much yet but I will because I'd like to really push this car and see what I can get it to do!
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    Off topic would you by any chance be the Flyer that used to be over on Performancetrucks.net all the time back in the day??
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    In a blue 03 truck with a blown 5.3 that ended up with a donkey dick cammed 5.3 that morphed to a 408?

Yea .. that's me.

Small world, Ehh ??