Thread: LSA based LQ4 gen IV E67 questions

Tuner in Training

LSA based LQ4 gen IV E67 questions

I am looking for some advice as well as some clarification that what I am thinking about doing will work.

My main question: Can I take an E67 ECM from a 2007 Saturn Ion 4 cylinder and flash it with a v8 LSA tune?

Here is some back story: I put together a LQ4 bored .030 over with L92 heads, LSA blower, LSA injectors, and Texas speed LS3 Blower cam. It is in my Toyota 4runner (wheeling vehicle). It is currently running on a gen 3 ECM using a 2 bar speed density tune that a local (2 hours from me) tuner did for me. In the midst of having it tuned and dealing with the tuner, I decided to buy HP tuners for myself. The guy tuning my generation 3 computer didn't finish tuning it completely. It runs well wide open, but the drive-ability around town is poor.

Instead of wasting credits tuning my gen 3 ECM, I'm considering converting to 58X crank and converting to gen IV E67 and using an LSA tune as a starting point. This would allow me to get rid of the X-Link harness that I currently have to use for the throttle. It will also fix the IAT sensor inaccuracy that I have (IAT sensor in the supercharger lid). The E67 will also hopefully increase my mass air sensor limit so I can go back to a mass air system instead of Speed density (I drive at elevations anywhere from sea level to 7,000 feet).

I bought an E67 from a 2007 Saturn ION 4 cylinder car at the junkyard for cheap.

Question 1: Can I flash a 2008 v8 OS to this ECM? ( I say 2008 because I have read a 2007 OS might still have the low 512 g/s mass air limit. I also have read 2009 was a switchover year and a 2009 OS will brick my ECM.)

Question 2: is there any need to use the Custom OS for my application?

Question 3: Can someone please clearly explain the licensing process I would need to go through to write entire a V8 OS to the E67? I am trying to figure that out so I don't waste credits.

Question 4: would I be better off buying another 2008 or newer E67 from a common donor at the junkyard for $20 (4 cylinder or V6 car for example and will it let me run a v8 without a OS reflash)
    Sorry for the long winded question, but after days of reading, I have not been able to clear up those questions. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Nick
    Last edited by lstoys; 12-01-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Tuning Addict
    Just because it's the same e67 specified controller doesn't mean that it has the same internals. I would get a harness and ecm from either a zl1 or ctsv.

Question 2 - no

Question 3 - if it's from a zl1 or ctsv - 2 if not - contact support - I think it was 6

Question 4 - yes worth it in the money and headaches it will save you. Get a zl1 or ctsv wwith the LSA engine. Will run a cooler pump then too.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply GHuggins. I am trying to keep this low budget if possible (I know wrong hobby to be low budget). I would like to use a used E67 ECM that I can get for less than $100 instead of buying a ECM with a ZL1 or CTSV tune on it which I can't seem to find for less than $400. I forgot to Mention my brother is a tech at a GM dealership and has the ability to flash OEM Operating systems with their equipment Would it work to get a newer E67 ECM from the junkyard and do a factory reflash to a 6.2 OS?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lstoys View Post
    Thanks for the reply GHuggins. I am trying to keep this low budget if possible (I know wrong hobby to be low budget). I would like to use a used E67 ECM that I can get for less than $100 instead of buying a ECM with a ZL1 or CTSV tune on it which I can't seem to find for less than $400. I forgot to Mention my brother is a tech at a GM dealership and has the ability to flash OEM Operating systems with their equipment Would it work to get a newer E67 ECM from the junkyard and do a factory reflash to a 6.2 OS?
    I think the important part here is to get an E67 with a matching part number. As stated above, all E67s may not have been created equal.

Yeah. I don't know what word to use for the E67 designation. Maybe it is the "family" of computers...but there are considerable differences between them. Your cheapest bet is to get a 12633264 out of a 2010 5.3 Colorado or Canyon. They have the same part number as the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1 so they will accept a GM SPS flash to the CTS-V operating system and they should not be asking the same fancy price tag as a "special" one. Good luck.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Yeah. I don't know what word to use for the E67 designation. Maybe it is the "family" of computers...but there are considerable differences between them. Your cheapest bet is to get a 12633264 out of a 2010 5.3 Colorado or Canyon. They have the same part number as the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1 so they will accept a GM SPS flash to the CTS-V operating system and they should not be asking the same fancy price tag as a "special" one. Good luck.
    Okay that helps a lot! Thanks a bunch! You guys are awesome. I will report back with what I end up doing in the future and hopefully this might help others trying to do something similar.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I have another question. Using a E67 with an LSA based tune will work well for me since I am running a manual transmission. My dad is putting together an engine that will be a twin to mine. He will be running a 4L80E though. Is there a way to make the LSA tuned E67 play nicely with a T42 TCM?

Yes. Actually the Colorado/Canyon set-up used the T42 to control a 4L60E which is pretty easily converted to 4L80E. Since the T42 and T43 TCMs actually contain their own OS separate from the PCM it is only for them to get their engine related information from the PCM. So the same part number E67 as I mentioned above has been used to work with the externally mounted T42 TCM to control the 4L60E in Colorado/Canyon or the internally mounted T43 to control 6L80/90E behind supercharged 6.2s.