Thread: So rich wont start

So rich wont start

I have a 97 yukon ive been building now for about 1 1/2 years. 6" rcx lift 35" dick cepeck tires 17" ballistic rims winch new paint lights . Nice truck I think.
    I built a new turbocharged motor & 4l60e for it. Its a new gen1 4 bolt main small block from summit. Forged 383 stroker crank & rods from scat , wiseco 2618 forged pistons , 8:5.1 static compression ratio , comp 280xfi hydraulic roller camshaft(580.lift-114.lsa) advanced 6 degrees , comp adjustable double roller timing chain, comp .080 hardened push rods , 205cc Dart pro 1 heads 2.02 / 1.6 comp valves, Comp ultra magnum 1.6 roller rockers , beehive springs, Accel MPFI efi single plain intake, Accel 4150 4 barrel 1300 cfm throttle body, LS7 card maf(unplugged) , 80lb deka injectors and GT45 turbochager. 24x from efi connection running a p59 controller from a lq4.
    Transmissionwas a basic rebuild with hd-cutch packsbands servos ect , new valve body and 2400 stall.

I went to start it with the 80 lb injectors . It was so rich it wouldnt start . I had to change to oil in fear of gas washing a new engine. So I grabbed a set of stock 24# injectors with fast extenders . To take one of the many variables out of this problem.
    Motor is still was very rich. I had to take something like 20% out the main VE just to get it to start and then my(lc2) wideband still reports it at being rich.
    Is this normal? I would think the it would be the opposite . The controller would report it being lean . Is this normal ? Did the map see so much air it was trying to compensate automatically?
    Should I go right to SD for tuning? My plan is to drive cross country upinto alaska from the north east usa(ct). I keep reading SD wont be good for what im looking to do.
    My build to give you an idea what im working with.
    theturboforums.com/threads/381269-A-machinist-a-turbo-and-his-L31-GMC
    Last edited by Mrich0908; 11-04-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Have you changed the map sensor???

Tuner in Training
    Only reason i ask is because if you havnt changed the offsets values it could cause this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim m View Post
    Only reason i ask is because if you havnt changed the offsets values it could cause this.
    No,
    Ive come to find out its the camshaft. Larger more radical camshafts are less efficient at idle. Also the boundary timing had to be adjusted to match the cam angle.
    Thank you for replying though.

Tuner in Training
    Sweet as good to know tho.just happend to me when i went 3 bar sd and didnt fit the 3 bar map sensor.good luck with your build.