Thread: newbee

Tuner in Training

newbee

I just got hp tuners last week and I have been trying to get my tune straightened out. I paid a tuner with efi live to tune the swap for me. mph was off bad and it would backfire bad when it shifted and just ran bad.. I called him to get him back out and after waiting a week he didn't show so I bought HP tuners. So far with the help of this site I have it running way better. He had it running in SD with no maf or o2`s. I put those on it this week and figured out how to do a log today. seems my stft is way high. I am going to try and attach the log file. The motor is a 04 5.3 with tm off 4l60e in a 1935 chevy 2 door sedan. 4.11 gears in a 9" ford 3400 circle d stall
    Attached Files Attached Files
    04 5.3 with a built 4l60 3:73 9" in a 1935 chevy 2 door sedan.

Post the tune.

Are you sure wiring to the o2 sensors is good, because they drop out to sub 100mv pretty often and stay there for a while and that's causing your fuel trims to go all crazy.

And just so we get this all straight, what is done to the engine or is it all stock? Do you wish to run the MAF and VE together like a normal "stock" running engine on this setup?

Perhaps you'd be better off returning the tune to stock by finding a stock 2004 file and copy everything that was changed back over to stock so you don't have to "fix" someones bad tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yes stock engine. O2s are brand new bosch as of this past monday. Pretty sure wiring is good. I have already tried a stock tune on it and i couldnt get it to even run. I know the injectors that came on the motor were flex fuel but my harness was for the non flex. I got the injectors that match the harness and the tuner set up the tune for those injectors somehow. I guess it doesnt matter to me if i use a maf and pe or not. I just want it to run right. The car is just a street rod and i want the motor to have as much hp as it can.

What's the question again?

Yeah, looks like the original tuner didn't do a very good job, fuel trims are quite high

Post the tune as well and details on the injectors

Tuner in Training
    I guess my question was do the stft look high to yall and my second question is where would I start to fix it. The car runs really strong now with the tweaking I have done other than laying down right before it shifts. the short log I did looks like something is way off

The ricky tune is the one the tuner did. the other one is the one I have been jackin with
    Attached Files Attached Files
    04 5.3 with a built 4l60 3:73 9" in a 1935 chevy 2 door sedan.

Yeah log looks pretty rough fueling wise. Fuel trims are like 40+

VE table needs work

Spark table has pretty much been flat lined. Also needs work--check out factory curves. Similar shape should apply here.

Tuner in Training
    this is a stock engine with stock wiring and your trying to introduce a stock MAF? if its not running tip top without the use of o2s and an maf then you need to start from scratch. Your trims are positive because its running lean.... thats why your o2s are bottoming out because its lean. start from scratch. Copy factory spark tables over from a file from the repository, make sure injector data is according to your injectors? are these the injectors that came with the computer and engine swap? After getting these sorted out, get a wideband and tune the VE before you introduce new equipment.

Tuner in Training
    I checked injectors and the tuner had them set up as 33's and i guess they are 22's. I just copied a 99 5.3 file for injectors. Just ran the tune and man what a difference. Real snappy throttle and very smooth. Ran a log and stft are -3 to +4.. thanks for asking the question about injectors. I have been leaving that section alone because i saw my tuner guy look up part numbers on my injectos so i just knew he had that right. Now hopefully the trans issue will correct itself now. Lol
    Seems like it lays down right before it shifts. May have been leaning out. Thanks for the places to look.

Tuner in Training
    sounds good. The shifting backfire issue was likely the truck referencing high map in the VE when shifting.... and with false injector data it was likely spiking lean

good luck and make sure you look into a wideband and tune yourself from scratch. good practice if you plan to mod. this should also be done anyway if your going to introduce an MAF.... generally VE should be dialed in before you correct a new MAF to it.

Tuner in Training
    Is there any real point in having a maf on a ole hotrod?

I wouldn't bother personally

Tuner
    there is no point having MAF if You are good in tuning.

best reagrds

Tuner in Training
    I have finally gotten around to messing with the 35 after an axle swap. There are two things i cant seem to get straight now. 1st thing is the lockup kinda hunts when engaging. 2nd thing is the motor still seems to lay down right before it shifts. Any ideas on the 2 issues? Thx

Advanced Tuner
    Get rid of transmission torque management, disable lock up in third, set the tcc min duty cycle table all to 98. And set the desired shift times all to zero.