Thread: 0411 swap starts but won't run

Tuner in Training

0411 swap starts but won't run

Did the 0411 swap on my L29 using an 02 Express van 5.7L ECM. It starts but won't run. Runs smooth on all 8 cylinders for a few seconds and then dies. Will restart but the same thing, a few seconds and dies. It seems that it is not getting fuel after the initial start. The ECM has not had anything changed or disabled, installed just as it was when removed from the van. It did have an EGR code, not sure if that was from the van or my car. The scanner was also showing a fuel tank pressure reading of 647.98 H2O

My questions are:

What needs to be disabled or changed to get it running so it can be tuned.

I want to order an HP tuner today, which one would be best to use for this engine?

Thanks, Philip
    72 Chevelle wagon 7.4L L29, 4L80E, GM 4 wheel disc brakes

Remove the VATS and it should start up and run.

Sounds like the security system is preventing it from running.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get the tuning suite.
    What HP Tuner Suite would you recommend?

Advanced Tuner
    There are only 2 choices I think, scanner only or the HPT suite. The various other enhancements (like RTT) are built-in at no cost.

You need the suite to change something like VATS. You need only the base version VCM suite, no pro interface, unless you are planning lots of work, lol.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, was undecided between the Pro and base versions. Just ordered the base.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys. I disabled the VATS and the engine fired right up. It is running great on the the Express vcm with no other modifications. The car cannot be driven yet so major tuning will not be done until it is assembled and on the road.