Thread: L29 454/4L80 swap

Tuner in Training

L29 454/4L80 swap

Building a 72 Chevelle wagon with an L29/4L80, 12 bolt posi with a 3.31 gear. 4 wheel discs from a 99 Trans Am will provide the stopping power. Engine is only making 11" HG so a hydroboost from an 03 1 ton Chevy was modified and installed to provide the power assist. The engine is from a 99 1 ton, all stock except for the cam. An Isky 696265275 cam was installed along with an adjustable rocker arm kit. Cam is .530/.553 lift, 265/275 advertised duration on 112? lobe center. Idles a little rough and sounds good but running a little rich. The EGR and canister purge casting were removed from the upper plenum before powder coating it. 30 lb injectors were installed as well. Not sure what the stock ones were, they were gone when I purchased the engine.
    First start up was this weekend using the stock black box. Now that I know the harness is working I will be swapping to the 0411 PCM. As luck would have it while wandering around our local Pull A Part I stumbled across an 02 Express with a 5.7L/4L80 combo and the PCM was still under the hood. Tuning is all new to me and hope to get some guidance from the more experienced tuners.
    Would like to get a little better idle and tune for as much mpg as possible as the car will be more of a cruiser than a race car...but still need enough under the pedal to be able to smoke the tires
    Will soon be ordering a VCM Suite just not sure which one to get. I would like one that will read the black box and tune the 0411.

This is how the car sits right now, the body has been straightened and the jams painted. Will go back to the body shop next month for paint. Then hopefully before Thanksgiving home for wiring and assembly.

Started with this

Last edited by Philip; 09-19-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    72 Chevelle wagon 7.4L L29, 4L80E, GM 4 wheel disc brakes