Thread: Anybody tried changing cam timing?

Anybody tried changing cam timing?

There are several tables for changing intake and exhaust cam timing, have you tried adjusting these and what were the results?

Advanced Tuner
    What are you working with?

2013 Buick Regal Turbo LHU. Looking at the variable camshaft settings for intake and exhaust cams. Wondering if there was a way to broaden torque curve or increase power (without having to increase boost)

Advanced Tuner
    I would say yes, just personally don't have any good suggestions for you to use.

Would need to get on a dyno for some testing. To see what works best.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm running similar tables to what Codename Bil Doe posted here and have had great results:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...uot-cam-timing

Thanks, JimmyS, looks like a helpful thread

Advanced Tuner
    If you log times like Bill mentioned in his thread, you'll be able to easily see the differences that reducing the overlap has. My first go-round netted me a .3 second reduction in my 60-100 times which is awesome. I've done a bit more tuning on my setup since then and have moved to a larger turbo on my Sky (EFR7163) and also started running e47 while still spraying meth on top of it all. Currently running 31psi and 24* timing which makes this setup pull really hard. Looking to move to 35psi as soon as I get my Quaife differential installed - hopefully the next week or two.

I looked at the images of the 3D Chart and I see what shape the graph is supposed to be but I don't understand what the values mean or what to change them to in the tables. I wish the pictures were of the tables and not the 3D Chart

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried matching Bills 3D chart using your 3D chart?

I took a stab at it

Advanced Tuner
    cams.doc

You should come up with similar numbers to these.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah just copy Bills picture. Don't worry about knowing what the minimum and maximum values you can use are. Also don't worry about how much you can change numbers from one cell to the next. Oh, definitely ignore how it effects fueling, fuel trims, and other tables. None of that is important. Just change the values and go.

Do you guys see the problem with just posting tables and not actually TEACHING and having people LEARN what they are doing?

This is why I hate this forum. Give me tables so I can learn. I give tables, ZERO questions for the most part. LOTS of copying though. Learn to give good advice please. End rant, sorry if I came across like a d*ck.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Yeah just copy Bills picture. Don't worry about knowing what the minimum and maximum values you can use are. Also don't worry about how much you can change numbers from one cell to the next. Oh, definitely ignore how it effects fueling, fuel trims, and other tables. None of that is important. Just change the values and go.

Do you guys see the problem with just posting tables and not actually TEACHING and having people LEARN what they are doing?

This is why I hate this forum. Give me tables so I can learn. I give tables, ZERO questions for the most part. LOTS of copying though. Learn to give good advice please. End rant, sorry if I came across like a d*ck.
    Not being a dick. I thought this, just didn't post it

1000% truth-bomb. If you "don't understand what the values mean", then you have no business trying to make any changes, let alone try to model your cam tables after someone else's setup with a completely different ECU.

There are quite a few different threads that touch upon this and would provide more than enough insight as to what the values represent, how to effectively make changes and what else the changes will affect.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    Like what has been stated already their are many threads on cam timing that can net you a whole bunch of reading material (learning) from doing a few searches. If someone has already got a good understanding about what changing cam timing does to the characteristics within a running engine, any engine naturally aspirated or forced induction then that will give you a good jump start. But if someone doesn't have a good understanding right up front about say what retarding both cams will do to the engines power band or advancing both cams will do etc.... just for two small examples, then probably would be a very good idea to go do some in depth reading on camshafts, motors in general. Just my two cents.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

For me, I would much rather understand what the tables mean so I can make the changes myself. During a dyno session, my tuner had me make some changes to tables and I made them but I didn't like not knowing what I was actually changing. I don't know what the numbers of the table mean but more than that, what the effects are of changing them.

Advanced Tuner
    So you say you took a stab at making your tables look like Bills, and know nothing about the tables, yet you say you felt uncomfortable when your tuner made changes because you didn't understand them?

I'm sorry but I probably explain more during a tuning process then any other tuner out there, and I'm not going to teach you everything about tuning. One main reason, I don't have the time to explain all of that. I've explained a small fraction of stuff and I can see the lost look in the face of the person I'm explaining it to. In no way am I going to try and teach someone how to tune during me tuning them. Second reason, you didn't pay me to teach you everything I know.

Those are my thought.

Yeh, knowledge and experience is worth something and I have no problem paying for it. I don't need to know what changes to make IF my tuner replies to requests for adjustments in a reasonable period of time. I am not trying to learn these things so I can save some money, I'm trying to learn things so I don't have to hound someone to send me a tune with the adjustments I am requesting.