Thread: Cold startup timing issue - help needed

Tuner in Training

Cold startup timing issue - help needed

Or so this is what it seems.

Trying to straighten out a cold/initial start idle on a friends cam'd 2012 gt. The owner has had this issue since the first time he flashed the car with the gear/exhaust tune from sct, (so he says) well before the cam swap he did which has an updated tune from sct on it.

When the car is first started, it idles fine for about 2 seconds
    _

_

Then, gradually the exhaust note just gets louder, rpm doesn't change though, and it begins to sound almost as if it has a misfire. When this happens, timing is <-2*, or in this case it's -11*.
    _

_

The reason I believe this is cold start/initial startup related is because I can cut the car off, and restart it 5 or 6 times until temps are in the 130*'s and it will continue to do this. But as soon as I slightly press the pedal timing will come into line >10*, engine begins to idle great, and the problem completely disappears. If I cut the car off and then back on after the pedal is pressed, the issue doesn't come back. If I disconnect the batter for 10mins and connect it back, it begins to do it all over again even if the coolant temp is >130*, until the gas is pressed again.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Tune and scan attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 342sunsetz; 08-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Justin Stephens
    2007 Z06

I would look in cold start timing tables to find your culprit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rshoe09; 08-05-2016 at 09:19 PM.