Thread: O2 Airflow Delay

Tuner in Training

O2 Airflow Delay

Working on the tune on my truck after long tube header install.
    I have a slight rpm surge light throttle acceleration, and feel like
    the O2 location is the cause. However being an 05 Ram non-can pcm
    I don't have access to an O2 airflow delay adjustment.

Is there a way that anyone knows of to tune around this issue?

Ultimately I would like this option added to this calibration but
    I did not get that question answered when I messaged support about
    this and a couple other things.

I have attached my tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Would love to know the same, have the same issue on my NGC3 CAN based 300C with a big cam and long tubes. In SD mode, AFR is damn near perfect, turn on closed loop and constant swings +15 to -15 STFTs, feels like a constant surge.

Advanced Tuner
    Bumping this one. Have an '06 JGC SRT8 w/long tubes and cam. Would love to be able to recalibrate the o2 feedback delay to get these closed loop swings in check.

I know the "proper" way of getting answers on this is supposed to be via email to support, but just wondering if anyone else has gotten any answers from them on this before I put out the feelers to HP Tuners support.

Advanced Tuner
    As a quick update to this, I sent an email to HP Support, and was informed that the airflow delay tables were available in the latest Beta version, and they supplied the download link to the Beta on my customer page. I tried tweaking the delay, adding as little as 25% more delay, and as much as 100% more delay, and I still can't seem to get a stable AFR during cruise.

I feel like we could use more parameters to stabilize o2 feedback with headers, things like proportional fuel change based on o2 sensor voltage signal and possibly even heater circuit duty cycle (for maintaining proper o2 sensor temperature where headers seem to let a lot more heat escape the exhaust system vs cast factory manifolds).

I'm considering trying open loop operation to see how stable AFRs are without any o2 feedback. Would be interesting to see vs closed loop throwing its seemingly inaccurate adjustments in there.

Advanced Tuner
    Open loop will run sweet.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    As a quick update to this, I sent an email to HP Support, and was informed that the airflow delay tables were available in the latest Beta version, and they supplied the download link to the Beta on my customer page. I tried tweaking the delay, adding as little as 25% more delay, and as much as 100% more delay, and I still can't seem to get a stable AFR during cruise.

I feel like we could use more parameters to stabilize o2 feedback with headers, things like proportional fuel change based on o2 sensor voltage signal and possibly even heater circuit duty cycle (for maintaining proper o2 sensor temperature where headers seem to let a lot more heat escape the exhaust system vs cast factory manifolds).

I'm considering trying open loop operation to see how stable AFRs are without any o2 feedback. Would be interesting to see vs closed loop throwing its seemingly inaccurate adjustments in there.
    I ended up running my truck OL all the time. Has taken a bunch of time to get it right due to the big temp swings up in the northeast. It has been running great. AFRs are right where I've wanted since day one.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Morais24 View Post
    I ended up running my truck OL all the time. Has taken a bunch of time to get it right due to the big temp swings up in the northeast. It has been running great. AFRs are right where I've wanted since day one.
    Yeah, I went ahead and gave it a go. I found that I have some uneven injector flow issues. I had already suspected it since trims from one bank to the other were greater than 10% apart from each other, so while I had things in open loop, I logged o2 sensor milivolts on each bank to get a baseline, then swapped injectors from bank 1 to bank 2 (and, of course, bank 2 to bank 1), and the o2 sensor millivolts trend flip-flopped.

So, looks like it's time to either send these ones out for cleaning, or get a new set.

Potential Tuner
    BOOSTJUNKY do you have that link for the beta available?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyinHemi View Post
    BOOSTJUNKY do you have that link for the beta available?
    Looks like the official 3.6 download has you covered with this table, now.

Potential Tuner
    I downloaded it just before your reply thanks boostjunky, but for some reason the o2 delay is not showing up for my 07 hemi ram, wait for a reply from the support email

Advanced Tuner
    Adding the O2 airflow delay sadly isn't universal among operating systems. I believe they all have it, hpt just doesn't know where it is for some of them.
    Pretty much takes a file modified with CMR then read with hpt and sent to support so they can see the change to add them.
    We have done this quite a bit. It's a clunky process.