Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Cam Knock issues- 13 RS3

Lol I started on the cam tune first but I have gone back aND built my performance file(no cam) within the last few months, no knock and car made 544.
    Anyway so I wasted an afternoon pissing off the neighbors yesterday and I noticed my knock is happening during mapped point 2 at 60-100% which I have set ay -33,23 I plan to removed can timing here and return to 0 I expect to see no more knock, also learned tons of drivability improvements for the cam tune, after yesterday the car feels factory.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

I've been following this. I'm still playing with my cam tune and really interested in what you ended up with. I've got a solid idle with mine (can't stall it letting the clutch out with foot off the gas) but still IPC average 350 at idle only and I have a funky transition when I first put my foot on the gas when taking off from a dead stop.

Do you have spark tip in enabled? If so disable it, it literally removes all bucking caused in low load situations, also helped with stalling with no gas clutch out.
    Eric had suggested this change like 30 pages back.
    When I look at my change log I'll post all my changes I found helped.

EDIT: just remembered another change, idle airflow I raised +10 this helped the cars idle greatly in ac engagement conditions. (+10 was obviously for my circumstances, different for yours)
    Last edited by TuneRS; 08-01-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Quote Originally Posted by TuneRS View Post
    Do you have spark tip in enabled? If so disable it, it literally removes all bucking caused in low load situations, also helped with stalling with no gas clutch out.
    Eric had suggested this change like 30 pages back.
    When I look at my change log I'll post all my changes I found helped.

EDIT: just remembered another change, idle airflow I raised +10 this helped the cars idle greatly in ac engagement conditions. (+10 was obviously for my circumstances, different for yours)
    thanks! I'll try those and see what happens.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

I'd be interested to see what you think of the changes, also gaprider I read up on your concern with spark and torque sources becoming torque control and target n, nothing I have found has related to target N however I read that disabling clutch protection it will change torque control to idle feedback. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't tried this yet I'm giving the neighbors a break lol.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

I'd be interested to see what you think of the changes, also gaprider I read up on your concern with spark and torque sources becoming torque control and target n, nothing I have found has related to target N however I read that disabling clutch protection it will change torque control to idle feedback. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't tried this yet I'm giving the neighbors a break lol.
    OK, I tried some variations this evening and they did seem to help with the surge when taking off from a dead stop but I still get one surge at the beginning. I didn't compare again to my base cam tune so I'm not positive.

I disabled tip in management for pedal which was easy.
    Spark tip in wasn't so straight forward so I guessed at:

• Maxing Spark Tip In Pedal Delta to 200% at 0 RPM
    • Spark tip in events to 0 across the board.

I tested these two changes with near stock idle airflow and then with idle airflow near .85 lbm which I see the MAF at during cam idle. The high airflow scenario worked better.
    Thanks for your help and interest TuneRS. I'm still sweating and tuning.
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Quote Originally Posted by GapRider View Post
    OK, I tried some variations this evening and they did seem to help with the surge when taking off from a dead stop but I still get one surge at the beginning. I didn't compare again to my base cam tune so I'm not positive.

I disabled tip in management for pedal which was easy.
    Spark tip in wasn't so straight forward so I guessed at:

• Maxing Spark Tip In Pedal Delta to 200% at 0 RPM
    • Spark tip in events to 0 across the board.

I tested these two changes with near stock idle airflow and then with idle airflow near .85 lbm which I see the MAF at during cam idle. The high airflow scenario worked better.
    Thanks for your help and interest TuneRS. I'm still sweating and tuning.
    Can you descripe the surge? Put in gear let clutch out, is this gas applied or no gas applied? And by surge do you mean dip in RPM or a violent jerk.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Can I cry now?? so I made changes to mapped point 2, have trims within 5% most of the time, which i find to be hard with the ghost cam lol. ANYWAY... im still seeing crazy knock, some which sounds to be real other which sounds unreal. pretty sure i do have knock, i just dont see why... anybody got an idea on what to log or what to change.
    2013 mustang ghost cam driver v2 in progress.hpt
    knock.hpl
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Tuner
    check octane adjustment table

What and how am I checking this, looking through cookbook and reading up on it I'm not sure what to look for
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Can you descripe the surge? Put in gear let clutch out, is this gas applied or no gas applied? And by surge do you mean dip in RPM or a violent jerk.
    It's just one lunge, as I press accelerator and let clutch out from dead stop. If I don't put my foot on the gas it doesn't happen. Just at the cursor line on the log screen shot

TuneRS.JPG
    Stock everything else

Have you made any changes to throttle? Ie driver demand or any torque calculations? If so I'd revert to stock and see if it makes any difference
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Have you made any changes to throttle? Ie driver demand or any torque calculations? If so I'd revert to stock and see if it makes any difference
    I have made so many changes I've lost count but I have tried stock values for DD and Torque Inv Torque. I'm ready to start over with Toyoguru's cam tune and play with it again because I've learned a tiny bit.
    Last thing I tried was putting MP8 values into MP0 tables for speed density, torque Inv torque and spark because stock MP8 VCT is close to same cam angles at -50/20.
    Last edited by GapRider; 08-07-2016 at 07:50 PM.

I can keep it in MP0 with a strong idle if I play with INV Torque but when I match IND torque I get high IPC at idle.
    The main thing is I still don't know what the ECU looks at to choose which mapped point it wants to be in.

Yeah you definitely have a better understanding of all this than I do haha, I understand what your talking about but no idea how you went about doing it. What is ipc error
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

If I could resolve this knock issue I'd be set I've multiplied my transient fueling table by 3% and still no change, I've also taken a spark tip in from a gt trying to pull timing on throttle blips, but no change has fixed my issue, looking at octane adjustment I'm not sure what or how to accurately change it.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Yeah you definitely have a better understanding of all this than I do haha, I understand what your talking about but no idea how you went about doing it. What is ipc error
    Yeah but your tune is doing what you want it to and mine isn't LOL. This tuning is the cheapest hobby I've ever had - endless hours of playing on the laptop and not one dime spent after the initial purchase LOL

Haha indeed, besides all the gas we've wasted just idling lol
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Ipc error is the difference between the torque the pcm thinks it's putting out and what's actually put out in torque tables?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...to-disable-IPC

Would this help you?
    Last edited by TuneRS; 08-08-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    2013 Roush stage 3
    Pypes cat delete
    Tuned by me.

Just something to think about. When you change your cam timing you also change your cranking compression ratio and dynamic cylinder pressure. I've seen an engine (Dodge 2.4l DOHC) that normally cranks at 160 psi put 230 psi on the compression gauge because the exhaust cam dowel broke and the cam sprocket began to slip retarding the cam.

You might need to blend your cam settings toward a stock configuration quicker in your knock zone.