Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo 2016 Mustang GT - Load and MAF issue

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    He posted a pic, the MAF is in the intercooler, poor location for accurate readings
    although not ideal, it does work. I've tuned probably 6-8 of these cars with that hellion kit w/o issue

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SYCK SS View Post
    alright, I have been chasing this issue for a couple weeks now. I think its time to give in and see if you guys can help me.

for started here is some info on the build

2016 Mustang GT - 6m
    Hellion Twin turbo 6266 setup
    ID1000s
    single Walbro 450lph pump
    running E85

other then that a stock car.

I have tuned Mopar and GM for some time, but this is my first personal attempt into the Ford side. Especially the coyote platform.

the issues I am running into are as follows.

- MAF reading seems very low. I have read up on some boosted s550 vehicles on here and referenced their MAF and Speed density adjustments, but whenever I try to implement those into my vehicle it wont start.
    - My load readings are very low. I had my timing tables originally setup for as high as 2.0 (200%). But no matter what I do the load reading doesn't seem to exceed 90%

I'm Sure it is something simple I have just been battling this for far too long. Any help is appreciated.

Attachment 60657
    Attachment 60658

updated log with more PIDs
    Attachment 60758
    For starters unless you know how to tune the speed density in these cars correctly, you're better off staying away from it. Your causing more problems than you are helping. Turn cylinder anticipation off and set ALL of your speed density stuff back to stock including IPC MAP Maximum.

You need to scale all of your spark tables as well. Your spark values are really conservative as well depending on how much boost you bare running and fuel type. I did not see mention of boost level. Regardless, on e85 unless your running 20lbs or something stupid you can throw a bunch more spark in it. You do have to be careful with the turbo cars. They will not take much spark during peak torque. Your a little over agressive there but the car could stomach more spark up top. I also like to scale the knock sensor advance tables and let the sensors do some work as well. At the minimum you could allow the sensors to add a lot more spark down low(below 100% load).

And yes your maf table is off by about 26 lbs up top.

I hope this helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by curt@injected View Post
    For starters unless you know how to tune the speed density in these cars correctly, you're better off staying away from it. Your causing more problems than you are helping. Turn cylinder anticipation off and set ALL of your speed density stuff back to stock including IPC MAP Maximum.

You need to scale all of your spark tables as well. Your spark values are really conservative as well depending on how much boost you bare running and fuel type. I did not see mention of boost level. Regardless, on e85 unless your running 20lbs or something stupid you can throw a bunch more spark in it. You do have to be careful with the turbo cars. They will not take much spark during peak torque. Your a little over agressive there but the car could stomach more spark up top. I also like to scale the knock sensor advance tables and let the sensors do some work as well. At the minimum you could allow the sensors to add a lot more spark down low(below 100% load).

And yes your maf table is off by about 26 lbs up top.

I hope this helps some.
    The reason I unscaled athe spark tables and made it so conservative was to figure out the issue for why load isn't reading correctly. I know there is more in her but until MAF and load are reading more correct then I was leaving it safe for timing.

A lot of the adjustments made to SD tables and such were all recommendations from others to help. But I'll give it a shot and start over. I'll let you know.

Thank you.

Curt, at peak torque e85 TT 18 psi, what have you found to be the limit for spark?

I let my knock sensors add 3* from 14-15* during peak torque and it seemed happy, no knock, adds it every time. After peak torque im up to 19-20 till limiter, no knock.

Advanced Tuner
    The reason I unscaled athe spark tables and made it so conservative was to figure out the issue for why load isn't reading correctly. I know there is more in her but until MAF and load are reading more correct then I was leaving it safe for timing.

A lot of the adjustments made to SD tables and such were all recommendations from others to help. But I'll give it a shot and start over. I'll let you know.

Thank you.

The majority of people do not understand how to properly adjust the speed density calculations on these cars once you go FI. To be honest I have spent a bunch of time on it and figured a lot out but with all of the time I put in I never really noticed a huge difference in driveability vs. running solely off the maf.

That said, if you are not correcting your slopes etc. correctly and you are leaving anticipation logic on you are causing all kinds of airflow calculation problems w/o realizing it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueprint View Post
    Curt, at peak torque e85 TT 18 psi, what have you found to be the limit for spark?

I let my knock sensors add 3* from 14-15* during peak torque and it seemed happy, no knock, adds it every time. After peak torque im up to 19-20 till limiter, no knock.
    Stock motor 15 mustang?

Advanced Tuner

Thank you.
    Have you logged fuel pressure?

The majority of people do not understand how to properly adjust the speed density calculations on these cars once you go FI. To be honest I have spent a bunch of time on it and figured a lot out but with all of the time I put in I never really noticed a huge difference in driveability vs. running solely off the maf.

That said, if you are not correcting your slopes etc. correctly and you are leaving anticipation logic on you are causing all kinds of airflow calculation problems w/o realizing it.
    Sounds like you know what you're talking about over the others. So I believe you.

I'll give it a shot and start over with that info

Stock motor 15 mustang?
    Sleeved 13' block w/ 1500hp rotating assembly. ARP everything.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like you know what you're talking about over the others. So I believe you.

I'll give it a shot and start over with that info
    I don't know about all that but I have been lucky enough to tune a few of these with the same set up.

Let me know. I'll try to help more if I can

Has anyone figured the speed density out that you know of? I've been wondering if any of the big name tuners are able to take it on and recalibrate it properly, not like we're missing out on a lot by not tuning it, but I'm always curious. Trying not to get the thread off topic, just wondering.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Has anyone figured the speed density out that you know of? I've been wondering if any of the big name tuners are able to take it on and recalibrate it properly, not like we're missing out on a lot by not tuning it, but I'm always curious. Trying not to get the thread off topic, just wondering.
    I had an opportunity to talk to John Lund a little about it in Ocala and I'm fairly certain that him and Ken have it figured out. John is one smart mo fo.

Like I said though, I've never personally noticed a huge driveability difference between the two.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueprint View Post
    Sleeved 13' block w/ 1500hp rotating assembly. ARP everything.
    That's a whole different ballgame than a stock 15 coyote. The stock 15 pistons will melt if you put too much spark in them at peak torque. Once you start changing compression ratios and piston type everything changes. The knock sensors on the coyotes do a pretty damn good job. If you've got a good piston, e85, a little lower compression, no knock sensor activity and are running those timing numbers it sounds like you are pretty safe where you're at

I don't know about all that but I have been lucky enough to tune a few of these with the same set up.

Let me know. I'll try to help more if I can
    Changed everything as you mentioned earlier and it didn't change anothing. All SD settings back to stock and anticipation disabled.... same exact readings. Load barely makes it to 90% and MAF struggled to hit 35lbs/min...

Not sure what to do next :-/

**edit** verified it is 6.5-7psi and boost leak test came back good. Seeing all the boost
    Last edited by SYCK SS; 07-18-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^stock manifold?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    ^stock manifold?
    Yessir, car is bone stock other that twin turbo kit and fuel system.

Advanced Tuner
    Changed everything as you mentioned earlier and it didn't change anothing. All SD settings back to stock and anticipation disabled.... same exact readings. Load barely makes it to 90% and MAF struggled to hit 35lbs/min...

Not sure what to do next :-/

**edit** verified it is 6.5-7psi and boost leak test came back good. Seeing all the boost

Yessir, fuel pressure is completely normal. No drop at all.

Out of curiosity anyway to mount MAF sensor backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by RSlo View Post
    Out of curiosity anyway to mount MAF sensor backwards?
    yes you can do that, but we triple checked that as well Its in there the right way.