Thread: E78 ECM Swap

Advanced Tuner

E78 ECM Swap

I have a 2012 Cruse 1.4 engine in a standalone engine swap. No BCM, TCM, FPM.
    I'm using a 2014 Sonic 1.8 E78 ECM. Does anyone know if this is a valid swap? (Ebay says it's a valid substitute)
    I have a couple spare Cruze 1.4 ECM's, Should I switch to one of those?

Advanced Tuner
    I really think it's swappable.

Advanced Tuner
    I would say that should definitely work being that they both use the E78 PCM. So I don't see why it wouldn't work. You have a 1.4L Engine so the E78 PCM from a 1.4L Cruze should work. I don't know if there is any advantage from switching out the PCM tho from the one you currently have. I would want to know if they operating system is the same.

Potential Tuner
    OS's are different and the PCM will most likely have to be flashed first through the dealer. There are many tables not visible that are different, and not compatible without a full dealer flash.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 78turbo View Post
    OS's are different and the PCM will most likely have to be flashed first through the dealer. There are many tables not visible that are different, and not compatible without a full dealer flash.
    I wondered about that. I've gotten it to run, but it wasn't easy.
    My main motive for using the 1.8 E78 was cost. It was the cheapest one available, but I do have a 2014 E78 that I may put my tune in and see if it makes any difference.

Advanced Tuner
    One thing that APPEARS to be different between the 1.8 and 1.4 ECM (both E78) is the GM high speed serial wires go into different pins on the connector. At least thats what the E78 wiring diagram shows.
    Since I'm using the same wiring harness, and 1.4 programming, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem, that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    One thing that APPEARS to be different between the 1.8 and 1.4 ECM (both E78) is the GM high speed serial wires go into different pins on the connector. At least thats what the E78 wiring diagram shows.
    Since I'm using the same wiring harness, and 1.4 programming, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem, that I know of.
    what wiring diagram are you using or did you use? I have the e78 in my 2014 chevy spark. I installed a flex fuel sensor with guidance from a sonic forum. Now I want to wire a cruze turbo to the ecm. Any advice is appreciated.