Thread: LSJ Timing for fuel economy

LSJ Timing for fuel economy

Does anyone have any idea the best way to tune timing on an LSJ for maximum fuel economy? I have been adding some timing below 0.52 Cyl airmass and haven't had knock yet. Wondering if it is actually making a difference or not.

Here is a copy of my tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Yes this makes huge difference. This is how the trucks I tune usually at least get 2-3 MPG more than stock tune. Same concept for LSJ

Keep going till it knocks then back it off a degree or 2

No worries about going too high? I am assuming I should mostly focus on 0.52 g/cyl or lower anyways. Saw some other people were hitting upwards of 50deg advance while cruising

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    my yukon is awd so the load is different but under cruise conditions i command 38* advance on 87 pump. no detonation. that along with locking the fuel error down tight took me from 14.2 to 16 mpg on a v8, and no mine does not have cylinder disable.
    if you have an egt i suggest monitoring it at cruise to make sure your not pushing the cylinder pressure to high as the method in the second post is a very crude way of adjusting advance.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Not everyone is going to go buy a EGT gauge to monitor theyre cruising temps just for a little more MPG. Its the easiest way and its really not dangerous since its not a heavy load on the engine. Ive known people to lean out cruising past stoich to get MPG too. Why? Because its a light load and no damage occurs.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    yes lean cruise is well known for a mpg gain...thats why the early 2000 ecu's have a lean cruise mode that can be triggered. Unfortunately in the lsj, the vehicle does not have this function in the ecu otherwise it would be listed under COT/Lean cruise. You would have to trigger the stoich range to be set as leaner which means it throws the rest of the fuel tables off and it also effects emissions for those that are still trying to pass in the more strict states such as CA and NY.
    If a user wishes to tune without the proper monitoring devices that is up to that person, but i refuse to make posts that does not recommend the safest actions possible. Personal choice.
    thanks for your views on the subject.
    Booster
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman