Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help analyzing Log (also in "1.4 Dyno Problem")

Tuner
    OK ... so you filled the little pocket up in the intake manifold, or did you block the little poppet in the intake manifold with epoxy and keep the port working as it should?

I'm sorry this is getting off topic, but I believe I'm having a huge problem with the PCV. It's either pulling excessive vapor / mist into the intake under high vacuum (deceleration) or the port in the stock turbo inlet is acting as a venturi effect and sucking the same thing into the turbo inlet.

I wonder if blocking the PCV port in the intake manifold and doing as you said with the burst disc on the intake and run that to a catch can, and the other side to the breather box rather than the turbo inlet.

I have to ask .. what would be the negative to venting the catch can to the atmosphere with a stand along filter?

I appreciate you doing what you do with this little tike of a motor. I have to digress, info is pretty scarce on pushing this little guy hard, and you seem to be about the only one really doing so and willing to divulge any info.

Advanced Tuner
    Remember, I switched from a Cruze Turbocharged manifold to a VOLT NA manifold. The Cruze manifold PCV system is a complex engineering task, that I do NOT fully understand. I "THINK" the PCV circuit includes TWO red/orange discs in the intake manifold. One of the discs holds vacuum in the chamber attached to the bottom of the manifold. The disc in the port from the head to the Corrugated tube going to the turbo inlet (PCV tube) lets vacuum from the manifold pull fumes from the crankcase into the engine. When boost comes up this disc closes and keeps pressure from blowing fumes into the turbo. There is also a another one way valve at the end of the corrugated tube that keeps pressure from getting into the turbo intake.
    That all goes to hell i a hand basket when the oil/water vapors coagulate and stick the disc/valves from opening and closing. THEN lots of oil gets into the intake and the engine smokes badly.
    ALSO, there is another "PCV" device in the top of the valve/cam cover. It's on the opposite side of the cover from the oil fill cap. The round "cap" has a vent hole in it so when the "hell in a hand basket" occurs it will let excess pressure come out there.
    Under the V/C cover there is a chamber that ties the crankcase vents together into a common tank/chamber.
    Please point out all my areas of misunderstanding.
    I have heard the dealerships have changed many valve covers trying to fix the oil smoking problems. It COULD be they don't know how the PCV system works either.

Advanced Tuner
    I should have Googled this first.
    http://www.sonicownersforum.com/foru...explained.html

These guys had pictures and drawings.

Tuner
    Nope, that's exactly how it is ... dealerships have a technical paper on how it works, they do know, well they should anyways. The paper explains that post in a non-picture form.

It's setup so that the crankcase is always in vacuum. If an oil seal leaks, like the crankshaft seal, it will throw lean codes and make a strong whistling noise or chirping type noise.

So .. did you fill that cavity with epoxy so the head doesn't vent into the intake and effectively blocked the corrugated tube and the poppet off and switch that over to the 3/4 hole in the intake?

I'm just trying to clarify before I take my care down for a few days and drill my spare valve cover.

You are right about the valve cover, I've seen a few replaced for that reason.

Advanced Tuner
    My PCV modifications were all to the VOLT intake manifold. I blocked the vent in the manifold so the epoxy would not run inside, I roughed up the internal walls of the port so the epoxy would adhere better, I filled port with epoxy, after it set up (2 days) I drilled and tapped it for NPT fitting. I attached the corrugated hose to that ( I later cut the oneway valve off the hose) and stuck enf=d of hose into 1 gallon jug.
    That was NOT enough so I modified the valve cover with similar process, after I drilled and removed the spring and rubber disc form the "emergency valve." The turbo no longer leaks oil into exhaust at 7500 RPM rev limit.
    My HPT tune ignores several DTCs. :-)

Tuner
    Thanks for all the information.

I think I'm going to just block the intake port for the PCV off all together. We replaced valve cover just the other day. I cleaned it out and messed with it in the parts washer. There are a couple of ports closed off by gasket on the mating surface, 2 small ones on opposite sides seem to have a direct link. There's a divided chamber on one side of the valve cover about 6 inches long, it seems to be indirectly connected to the rest of it. They all 3 will leak out of that popoff vent on the top of the valve cover opposite the oil fill cap when filled with fluid.

I'll try and take a pic to clarify some of that here in the near future.

On a side note .. I'm not sure if the pace maker was in reference to your car running better or legitimate. I assumed in jest the firs ttime but upon re-reading I'm not so sure. At any rate, if you were for real, I'm glad you made it out ok!

Advanced Tuner
    The Pacemaker is real. I'm a very lucky person. Timing is everything. If you don't feel right, go to the DR.