Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help analyzing Log (also in "1.4 Dyno Problem")

Advanced Tuner

Help analyzing Log (also in "1.4 Dyno Problem")

Having trouble understanding Injector pulse width difference between two, back to back autocross test runs, Run one has Injectors maxing out (90%), run two shows 5X%.
    The vehicle, as you can imagine, ran considerably better during second run.

After the second run the fuel tank was almost empty. Only the surge fence area had fuel in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have my computer setup anymore. Can you post pics and I'll see if I can help.

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a screen shot of run 2 and run 1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    It is your PE or COT or Piston Protection.

The areas while WOT and only in the 5x% duty cycle your commanded lambda is .8xx, while the other areas while at WOT and you are seeing 9x% duty cycle your commanded lambda is .7xx.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    It is your PE or COT or Piston Protection.

The areas while WOT and only in the 5x% duty cycle your commanded lambda is .8xx, while the other areas while at WOT and you are seeing 9x% duty cycle your commanded lambda is .7xx.
    I second what he said. You may want to consider eliminating COT fueling to see if it makes it more consistent......keeping in mind that COT is there for a reason if you still have a Catalytic Converter.

Advanced Tuner
    There is no Cat, there's no muffler.
    I could NOT understand why the car ran crappy 80% of the way through the first run, and then ran fine for the second run. My son, who knows nothing about tuning, but works as service rep for MRI machines said, "Is there any chance the O2 sensor got fouled by the turbo oil leak, and got unfouled during the first run so it was functioning correctly for the second?"
    $%$#@^&, sometimes it's the simplest answer.

Many changes have been made to reduce the oil flow to the turbo, and make sure it all drains out properly. Will swap in new O2 sensor, and try again.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file.

Your commanded AFR is changing.

So it is going to be in your tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Many changes have been made to both the hardware and the software. IF, the oil leak from the turbo seal is fixed, and there's no blue smoke out the exhaust then I will run some more track tests tomorrow evening.
    I really don't know enough about tuning to agree or disagree with your statement about the changing commanded AFR. I just thought it would be changing all the time due varying load and throttle applications during the autocross run.
    But what do I know.

I am concerned enough about my O2 sensor failing during an event that I bought a spare to keep in the trailer-but I'm a little boy scout (always be prepared) that way

Advanced Tuner
    If you don't soak the O2 sensor in oil, it will last a LONG time.
    :-(

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    Many changes have been made to both the hardware and the software. IF, the oil leak from the turbo seal is fixed, and there's no blue smoke out the exhaust then I will run some more track tests tomorrow evening.
    I really don't know enough about tuning to agree or disagree with your statement about the changing commanded AFR. I just thought it would be changing all the time due varying load and throttle applications during the autocross run.
    But what do I know.
    I pointed you in the correct direction, just need to figure it out.

If you want more help, you will need to post the tune file.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think it will help to change the tune till I get all the mechanical issues sorted out.
    I tested compression and leak down. Both are good.

I enlarged crankcase vent and turbo oils seal stopped leaking. I will run some more track tests next Wednesday.
    One step at a time.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file.

Your commanded AFR is changing.

So it is going to be in your tune.
    Mark, are you referring to the "Equivalence Ratio Commanded" line in left side columns? Where would I start to stabilize this number. I may have mistakenly assumed this number would change with throttle application and or load. Are saying this should be a set value all the time?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    Mark, are you referring to the "Equivalence Ratio Commanded" line in left side columns? Where would I start to stabilize this number. I may have mistakenly assumed this number would change with throttle application and or load. Are saying this should be a set value all the time?
    There are a lot of tables that will affect your commanded AFR while in Power Enrichment. So without seeing your tune, to pin point directly which table is directly affecting it in your case.

Here is the tables that will affect commanded AFR.
    Power Enrichment.png

Advanced Tuner
    There are a lot of tables that will affect your commanded AFR while in Power Enrichment. So without seeing your tune, to pin point directly which table is directly affecting it in your case.

Here is the tables that will affect commanded AFR.
    Power Enrichment.png
    Thanks.
    Del

Advanced Tuner
    OK, I got it all back together again with the enlarged crankcase vent system. Ran a couple runs uo and down my 300 foot driveway. Goes to 7500 red line, no smoke. Will go to track next Wednesday for some test runs. Hopefully we can work on tune now instead of mechanical "stuff."

Advanced Tuner
    Enlarged crankcase vent to go with the 7500 RPM rev limit, new O2 sensor to replace the oiled one, couple of minor tune changes, and it runs quite strong to 7500. Then my LM-1 died, and I have new AEM 30-0333 on order, then I went to Hospital ER and had Pacemaker installed. Final tuning is on hold for at least 2 weeks till the DR says I can drive again.

Tuner
    I am very curious what you did with the PCV system. Would you mind sharing?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    I am very curious what you did with the PCV system. Would you mind sharing?
    1. This is an off road vehicle and will NEVER be operated of public roads.
    2. It now has a RWD, using an Isuzu bell housing and a Volvo 544 M40 transmission.
    3. The rev limit has been raised to 7500 RPM.
    4. I tried modifying an OEM Cruze manifold to move the Throttle Body to the now front of the engine. Multiple layers of various forms of epoxy all failed to hold 30 PSI of boost.
    5. I purchased a VOLT intake manifold to experiment with because the throttle body appeared to mount toward the "front" of the engine.
    6. I could not find anyone who knew how the VOLT PCV circuit worked, and it made zero sense to me, so I filled the manifold port coming from the head with epozy, let it cure, and then drill 5/8" hole to act as crankcase vent (PCV). This still di not let the oil return line drain the oil out of the Turbonetics TNX 20/44 fast enough to keep the oil from blowing out the rear turbo shaft seal and making HUGE amounts of blue smoke, fouling the O2 sensor, throwing the AFR way off.
    7. Took spare valve cover, drilled 3/4 hole through the round disc opposite the oil fill cap, pulled the remains of the orange vent seal, spring, and PCV emergency vent system out, tapped the hole for 3/4 NPT, cleaned all the chips and filings out, and epoxied 90 degree NPT to barb fitting into the hole. Attached 3/4" tubing the fitting, ran tube over side of engine the 1 quart cintainer so I could see how much oil/water/crude I was pumping out.
    8. Installed new O2 sensor, cleaned all oil out of 3" open exhaust system and fired it back up.
    9. No blue smoke, AFR back to "close to normal".
    10. Back to working on tune.
    11. Went to ER and had Pacemaker installed.

Advanced Tuner
    Somewhere in there my LM-1 died. I purchased an AEM 30-0333 wideband Gauge. This device "should" be plug and play to allow a Newbie like me to log AFR/Lambda to my 3.2 HPT scanner and keep track of just what my AFR is at all times.

I hope it works.

##### I snuck out to the shop yesterday and did a quick install of the AEM 30-0333. What and easy job. It is virtually plug and play, IF, you start with Scanner version 3.2. Before I started I removed the old PRO Lamda setting from the channels. Installed AEM, turned everything on, did channel add of AEM Lambda, gauge displays Lamda, scanner records Lamda. I may go back and change display to 4 digits instead of 3.
    Last edited by sprinto7; 07-10-2016 at 11:31 AM.