Thread: '11 mustang 5.0 emissions test fail. Advice please

Potential Tuner

'11 mustang 5.0 emissions test fail. Advice please

I have a customers 2011 mustang 5.0 , I have been correcting multiple tune issues, I am the third tuner to get the vehicle for several issues.
    The car is up for emissions testing, fails the scan test stating : Following monitors not ready, Catalyst, Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen Heater.
    It is equipped with the factory manifolds, cats and a roush cat back.
    If someone has time to look at the tune for me, see what I am missing, obviously I am missing a parameter that has been cancelled and isn't allowing the catalyst info to operate the way the emission board is expecting. Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Try making these changes, this is how my 13' had them set up on my stock tune.

P0148 - No MIL Light > Change to "No Error Reported"
    P0420 - MIL Light > Change to "Dash Error Msg"
    P0430 - MIL Light > Change to "Dash Error Msg"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Try making these changes, this is how my 13' had them set up on my stock tune.

P0148 - No MIL Light > Change to "No Error Reported"
    P0420 - MIL Light > Change to "Dash Error Msg"
    P0430 - MIL Light > Change to "Dash Error Msg"
    I have tried that and all that will do is prevent the monitors from running.

The solution is:
    1. Enable the rear o2's and turn on FAOSC
    2. Buy two packages of: http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tun...fouler/720771/
    3. Drill 2 of them out and butt them together with the non-drilled so that the rear o2's will fully seat
    4. Install between the rear o2's and the x-pipe/h-pipe
    5. Flash the modified tune onto the car and drive until the monitors are ready
    6. Get inspection done
    7. Flash the original tune back onto the car with rear o2's turned off and FAOSC disabled

^^^Adding to newby thread, thanks for the info.

Tuner in Training
    Here in TX a monitor that shows as NA counts just the same as ready, might be different in other states. I have ran cars through successfully that didn't even have rear O2 sensors at all when the appropriate monitors were turned off. Eric Brooks can you verify that in HPT things like setting catalyst test to disabled and O2 test to disabled are both switching off the bits of that one particular scalar, you know which one I mean. It would appear that is the case.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
    Here in TX a monitor that shows as NA counts just the same as ready, might be different in other states. I have ran cars through successfully that didn't even have rear O2 sensors at all when the appropriate monitors were turned off. Eric Brooks can you verify that in HPT things like setting catalyst test to disabled and O2 test to disabled are both switching off the bits of that one particular scalar, you know which one I mean. It would appear that is the case.
    In Texas you are allowed 1 NA monitor. The rest should be ready and show passed.

Advanced Tuner
    In Texas you are allowed 1 NA monitor. The rest should be ready and show passed.
    While this is true there is also a "not supported" reading. Currently if a monitor shows N/A or N/S it doesn't count against.
    https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi.../faq_obdii.htm

There are some local turbo cars I work on that pass inspection with most all monitors disabled so they report as N/S.

Tuner in Training
    That would be one "not ready" which is allowed.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all of the input. The tune was correct for emissions feedback. After a dtc reset the ecu requires a 100 mile count to show readiness monitors ready. As soon as it hit the 100 mile drive cycle , readiness monitors switched to ready. Emissions passed with flying colors.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmayhem View Post
    Thanks for all of the input. The tune was correct for emissions feedback. After a dtc reset the ecu requires a 100 mile count to show readiness monitors ready. As soon as it hit the 100 mile drive cycle , readiness monitors switched to ready. Emissions passed with flying colors.

So after spending some time on a car trying a bunch of different things, now I can get all of the monitors to go ready within about 15 miles EXCEPT for the O2 and Heater monitors.

I've got:
    MIS: ready
    FUE: ready
    CCM: ready
    CAT: ready
    EVAP: ready
    EGR: ready

O2s: Not ready
    HTR: Not ready

Are you saying that after driving 100 miles the O2 and Heater are likely to go ready?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by realspeeddan View Post
    So after spending some time on a car trying a bunch of different things, now I can get all of the monitors to go ready within about 15 miles EXCEPT for the O2 and Heater monitors.

I've got:
    MIS: ready
    FUE: ready
    CCM: ready
    CAT: ready
    EVAP: ready
    EGR: ready

O2s: Not ready
    HTR: Not ready

Are you saying that after driving 100 miles the O2 and Heater are likely to go ready?
    In Texas that is enough to pass, I checked the TX website and they say you are allowed up to 2 "Not Ready" monitors. NA(not applicable) or NS(not supported) do not count against you so those won't matter. See attached image below

TX Inspection.jpg

Tuner
    I'm in New York. You can only have 1 not ready in NY for 2014 model year cars. Not supported doesn't matter, but of the ones that are supported, all but 1 have to be ready.

Drove it some more today. Up to 135 miles now since the last reset. I was hoping the O2 and heater would set after 100 miles based on the post I quoted earlier, but so far no luck on that.
    Last edited by realspeeddan; 01-28-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by realspeeddan View Post
    I'm in New York. You can only have 1 not ready in NY for 2014 model year cars. Not supported doesn't matter, but of the ones that are supported, all but 1 have to be ready.

Drove it some more today. Up to 135 miles now since the last reset. I was hoping the O2 and heater would set after 100 miles based on the post I quoted earlier, but so far no luck on that.
    I know sounds odd, but drive 4 miles at 40mph without stopping. This worked for my car and I know of 1 other that tried it and it worked. The hard part is finding someplace that you can drive 40mph, with no lights or stop signs and not get run over.
    This is part of the drive cycle for Fords.

Advanced Tuner
    Last edited by txcharlie; 01-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I know sounds odd, but drive 4 miles at 40mph without stopping. This worked for my car and I know of 1 other that tried it and it worked. The hard part is finding someplace that you can drive 40mph, with no lights or stop signs and not get run over.
    Only hard for him bc he is in New York, In Texas I can't think of plenty of places near me where it can be done

Advanced Tuner
    Only hard for him bc he is in New York, In Texas I can't think of plenty of places near me where it can be done
    What part of TX?

Tuner
    I'm not new to drive cycling these cars to get them to pass. I probably drive cycle about 1 car a week for local customers that are having trouble getting their monitors to go ready because they only use their car intermittently.

So I almost replied right away that I had already tried what you suggested. But just to be sure, I went out today and put the hazards on in the right lane and drove 6 continuous miles without wavering in speed any lower than 40 and higher than 44, (mostly right at 40) in 5th gear. Then I turned around and went back 6 miles the other way in 6th gear at 40 mph. NO luck. Still searching for ideas.

Advanced Tuner
    What part of TX?
    Austin

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not new to drive cycling these cars to get them to pass. I probably drive cycle about 1 car a week for local customers that are having trouble getting their monitors to go ready because they only use their car intermittently.

So I almost replied right away that I had already tried what you suggested. But just to be sure, I went out today and put the hazards on in the right lane and drove 6 continuous miles without wavering in speed any lower than 40 and higher than 44, (mostly right at 40) in 5th gear. Then I turned around and went back 6 miles the other way in 6th gear at 40 mph. NO luck. Still searching for ideas.

Sounds like you have a physical issue. Does the car have any mods? Headers?

Advanced Tuner
    Austin
    I moved from Conroe last year. I'm in the Tyler/Longview area now.