Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: O2 sensor tuning with Headers

I'll have to try that one

Advanced Tuner
    yeah, ill try and get all the logic in today if I can. thanks again sevinn
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    yeah, ill try and get all the logic in today if I can. thanks again sevinn
    No problem. There is probably something better than vehicle mph to use but it seems to have worked pretty well for me; it's easy enough to adjust these filters after a drive to get a better idea of the data if you need to.
    Last edited by sevinn; 06-08-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Got me thinking about it... You could probably end up with similar (if not more accurate) results by looking at the slope of commanded throttle position as well as average commanded throttle position. I'll test it out and see how I feel about it

Log commanded throttle position and the following filter would do it I think assuming these pids are all the same across our ecus:

[2148.156] < 50 AND [2148.156.avg(500)] < 50 AND [2148.156.avg(-500)] < 50 AND [2148.156.slope(500)] = 0 AND [2148.156.slope(-500)] = 0
    Last edited by sevinn; 06-08-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    killer, I just dropped it in...checked it with my scan from today and Viola it works...thanks again. and because of the steady state calc it logs a lot less data. that will be interesting to try on my virtual VE table histogram set up as well...once I man up and attempt to adjust it.
    Last edited by JBZ; 06-08-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    killer, I just dropped it in...checked it with my scan from today and Viola it works...thanks again. and because of the steady state calc it logs a lot less data. that will be interesting to try on my virtual VE table histogram set up as well...once I man up and attempt to adjust it.
    For vve tuning you may want to drop the times in the filter because I wasn't getting enough data at all on the street with half a second, so just be mindful of that. 250ms average/slope is better than no filter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    Got me thinking about it... You could probably end up with similar (if not more accurate) results by looking at the slope of commanded throttle position as well as average commanded throttle position. I'll test it out and see how I feel about it
    Yeah, just has to look at it over a long enough period of time, I think anyways.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I need to get this o2 thing worked out first and make sure my o2s are reading the correct data. Then i can start vve tuning. Thanks for tour help fellas.

Tuning Addict
    Sevinn, that equation looked familiar I'll have to give your filtering function a try - I've honestly never been much good at coming up with filters...

A thought Carson... Are there any filtering threads for the new scanner?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Sevinn, that equation looked familiar I'll have to give your filtering function a try - I've honestly never been much good at coming up with filters...

I thought it was a thread you were active in that I got those equations from I just didn't want to give the wrong person credit! Lol

I don't think so.. who wants to make one?

Advanced Tuner
    one of you 3 should, you're all a lot smarter than this guy right here.

so would you guys mind taking a look at a log from yesterday and tell me what you think about the O2 spacing? here are the settings I have now

Closed Loop Proportional Base vs. Airflow Mode (multiply x .8)
    Closed Loop Mode vs. Airflow (decreased to DOD settings for lack of better option or knowledge)
    Closed Loop Integrator Delay vs. Airflow Mode (multiply x 1.42) this is the only one I have changed in the last couple of days and changed it from 1.40 to 1.42

by the way I brought all my switching voltages down to 350 mv...absolutely no change in switching that I see in any log. is there something that we are missing in our tune file that GM has that ACTUALLY affects switching voltage?

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JBZ; 06-09-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Did you change both bank 1/2 and min rich/lean mV?

Try lowering it some more--I've never really seen a difference when changing it either, though maybe going further will do something?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Did you change both bank 1/2 and min rich/lean mV?

Try lowering it some more--I've never really seen a difference when changing it either, though maybe going further will do something?
    yes, here is what I got, am I missing anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that's it--try like 250 and see what that does
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    Above 30mph good looking, below not as great - I typically don't worry about that a whole whole lot - at least not personally unless a cam or something is causing fits from the switching O2's...

Another thought on this since your comparing open loop to closed loop - I'm seeing something in the averaging neighborhood of -3 to -6 percent fueling - fine for your setup - even what I try to shoot for the majority of the time - this will make it your fueling go to the .95's that your seeing... Just for experimental sake - dial you idle area of your MAF in until it's +/-2% on the short terms - put into open loop and then see what the air fuel is...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    So what looks wrong below 30? Spacing to tight...to narrow...or does the porportional look wrong? Would you maybe have an example even a screen shot of what looks right? Thanks

Tuning Addict
    O2's aren't switching fast enough and are staying richer longer - try increasing proportional back to stock or slightly higher as long as it doesn't cause bucking or surging issues... Your 30+ mph areas are what your looking for while idling and slow cruising or rather high gear low rpm cruising... Sometimes if missing cats or when combined with large overlap cams it may all but be impossible to get that area...

Wish I better understood which portions of the airflow mode tables controlled what load or rpm "breakpoints" so I could better dial them in myself...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-10-2016 at 10:21 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    O2's aren't switching fast enough and are staying richer longer - try increasing proportional back to stock or slightly higher as long as it doesn't cause bucking or surging issues... Your 30+ mph areas are what your looking for while idling and slow cruising or rather high gear low rpm cruising... Sometimes if missing cats or when combined with large overlap cams it may all but be impossible to get that area...

Wish I better understood which portions of the airflow mode tables controlled what load or rpm "breakpoints" so I could better dial them in myself...
    yeah ive now been trying some random things like dropping in factory Zr1 LS9 P&I settings just to see what happens, actually quite an improvement in low RPM swinging but in my opinion way too fast up top it also knocked down my random misfire numbers but made them hit more often. I put the stock P settings back in and think its actually getting to the rich and lean a little faster which completely makes sense. the integrator delay that I had (X 1.42 of the stock V settings) in there seemed ok in the higher cells but too big in the lower section. I actually don't think it ever sees the 0 cell (1200 something number) with just the cold air and pulleys that I have.

this is how I think these tables are calculated (in the screenshot) this is just a guess. why GM didn't just put 0,8,12,16,24,32,40,56,64 in those cells is what I'm not sure of. but if I look at my logs the swings do seem to coincide with the mass airflow lb/hr in the table. so my only guess is that if you want to stay in a particular cell longer moving the numbers in the table lower might hold them longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Yes, that's what I think also. At whatever airflow mode you are at, say 8 (32-63lb/hr), the pcm uses airflow mode 8 values in all the charts. If you are at 32 (~240lb/hr) it uses mode 32 values in all the charts.
    Last edited by coolmo; 06-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    '13 ZL1