Thread: Atlas LL8 (Vortec 4200) P10 ECU Standalone / Manual Transmission Tuning and Setup

Tuner in Training

Atlas LL8 (Vortec 4200) P10 ECU Standalone / Manual Transmission Tuning and Setup

Hello all,

Currently in process of swapping a 05' Trailblazer Vortec 4200 in my Jeep. I'm not new to wiring or engine swaps, but am "newish" to OBD2 and HP Tuners, and I'm stuck on a couple items. I've searched high and low, and despite their being a couple forums for the Atlas engines, they are still hard to get info on compared with the LS series for wiring and tuning, and the P10 ECU in the 02-05 4200's is not well documented, unlike everything for the LS engine, so some of the standalone harness and tuning advice is not carrying over here.

Anyway, I'm using a manual trans with some custom parts to adapt, and as such need to "delete" the auto portions in the ECU. "Zero-ing" out the shift tables and deleting the DTCs is no the end of the world, but things such as VSS signals, what to do with the Range Switch (PRNDL), and the ECU controlled starter are confusing me.

Can I cut these out and ignore the codes? Should I keep the Range switch and just trick it into thinking that when I have the clutch in it's in neutral?

Also a bit confused with the starter system; does the ECU need to see voltage on the PNP switch to enable a starting mode, etc?

ECU Starter.pngRange Switch PRNDL.pngTransmission Input Speed.pngVSS.png

Thanks in advance, Hoping to author an easy to follow write-up and pictorial reference for doing this once I get it going myself!
    Eric

Advanced Tuner
    Hi Eric, I'm not sure how some people have done a manual swap on the P10 so far (if at all). I've tuned a bunch of these over the years, but all in factory vehicles.

I'd take a look at the Transmission -> General section and set the type to Manual to start. In the System -> General, disable VATS there. For the starter, I havent seen anything in HPT that lets you disable that part. Perhaps try removing it and disabling VATS, may or may not work.

Don't force the PCM to think the transmission is always in N, it will only rev to 4000rpms (stock) and likely will have other Reduced Engine Power issues. If you can, get/make a circuit to tell the PCM when you're in N and when in gear so it can use the proper tables for rev limit/spark.

The 3rd pic of the ISS...last I checked the 02-05 4L60E never used that so verify the wires are in the harness.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Post your question on vortec4200.com several people have done 4200 swaps using manual transmissions. As far as I know they bypassed the starter relay.