Thread: turbo 3.8L MAF/AFC issues

Potential Tuner

turbo 3.8L MAF/AFC issues

hi everyone, I usually like experimenting with tuning and figuring out the bugs myself but this one is really throwing me for a loop. 2002 regal L36 with L67 pistons, cartuning PT-61 kit with 60# injectors, I got to the point where I was maxing out my LS1 MAF. no big deal, went to zzp and purchased an adjustable AFC. when the AFC was installed with a frequency rate at 100 (should mean no change in output), i would spike afr to 10:1 then slam over to 18:1 under full throttle. zzp blamed the issue on my LS1 MAF (which I had zero issues with but the chart in hpt was bouncing around a bit), so I swapped to my L67 MAF on my L67 throttle body. I backed off the boost from 19PSI to 15PSI and im still having an issue where itll run great under 50% and greater throttle, then will go extremely lean. im baffled and any input is greatly appreciated. attached log is from 15PSI on L67 MAF as well as tune from 15psi
    also, my editor only allows me to adjust the maf hz up to 11500 yet in the log its reading up to 11650...anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Never made big power when I was in the 3800 game so I never used a mini afc, maybe this thread will help?

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...-HP-guys-do-it

Also, once you get thing working and on the right path. The MAF table itself needs a little work still, it's not really smooth at all. Should be similar to stock as far as the slope goes, no large dips or changes when looking at the 2D chart.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-27-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I was actually just looking at that link, found it on the turbo fiero post from a few weeks back... I haven't modified my injector table at all, maybe that's where im going wrong? and yes my maf scale is pretty embarrassing, I was following Russ' open loop tuning guide and with upping the boost every week or so until I maxed the LS1 MAF I haven't recently smoothed it

Tuner in Training
    that post didn't make 100% sense to me. I have noticed that with all the DIP switches OFF the unit is suppose to default to 100% but My results are completely different with them all swithed off VS. actualy setting the unit to 100% Have you actually set it to 100% or using the all OFF/ON default to 100

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastkingcab View Post
    that post didn't make 100% sense to me. I have noticed that with all the DIP switches OFF the unit is suppose to default to 100% but My results are completely different with them all swithed off VS. actualy setting the unit to 100% Have you actually set it to 100% or using the all OFF/ON default to 100
    Yes the 64, 32, and 4 are switched on and all others off, that's how it arrived to me. I did notice in the instructions that if all switches are in 0 or 255% it will default to 100. maybe ill try that and see what happens

Potential Tuner
    just an update, did some more data logs with it and everything still pointed to a faulty AFC. I emailed ZZP with data logs with and without the AFC installed and they sent me a RMA to exchange the Air Fuel Controller for a new one. hopefully this time theres a happy ending to this story