Thread: First 5.0 Tune

Senior Tuner

First 5.0 Tune

I am getting knock randomly at low RPMs on a car that I've been tuning. I haven't touched any of the spark tables but the borderline table. I just removed the tip in modifier before this log and feel like it might have picked up more knock. What do people normally do with this table? Any suggestions about what could be causing this or anything else in the tune? This car is completely stock except for a resonator delete and Roush axleback also by the way. Should be getting an off road x pipe in the next couple weeks.

Is modifying the knock advance rate common when tuning these cars?

WillRev14.hptWillRev14.hpl
    Last edited by tbrtuning; 05-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Senior Tuner
    The tip in modifier is generally there because that's an area prone to knock. Unless you have the car run really rich tip ins I wouldn't remove it entirely. you can dial it back some and see what the car likes before you get knock tho. I just don't believe in fixing ignition issues with fuel that's all. modifying the advance rate does seem common. Not just the rate but where it can and can not occur.

There is a lot of stuff changed in this tune for a nearly stock car. The MAF looks like it was either modified on a cold day with out disabling the temp compensation table or with a dirty air filter. Not sure how/why the throttle body model was modified that way. The small changes to your driver demand table torque values are probably causing the ignition to call for too much timing causing your knock at small throttle inputs. It only happens right after you drop below and pass 1500 RPMS as well. The rest of the changes are small maybe tinkering to see what they do or look like they are out of the cook book.

Then with some of the O2 sensor readings makes me ask does this car have O2 extensions? It seems to think the O2 sensors are bad and is running a few dmcs cycle test. Brief periods bank 2 sensor turns off. Id check the wires for wear spots.
    Last edited by murfie; 05-24-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I'll look into the air filter and O2 sensors. Not much time was spent on the MAF scaling because I thought it was strange to need adjusted on a stock vehicle and it is about to get an off road X pipe and need redone anyways.

I don't think I changed driver demand torque any but I will check. It might have been a change from the cookbook that I don't remember making. I tried to make sure I understood everything I was changing. I compared the stock tune from this car to one I downloaded from the repository and found differences. Not sure if it's because an early 2011 car and Ford made small changes or what.

I'll bring the tip in modifier back in and increase the advance rate to see how that goes before the next tune.