Thread: Startup and octane

Tuner

Startup and octane

can someone please revise my tune and help me with the following issues:
    1.when i turn on the car the idle drops and sometimes turns off
    2.how do i change the octane to use 93 premium

thank you in advance hope someone can help me!
    included are
    log for wide open throttle and regular driving
    stock tune (2015 5.0 padrino)
    and my tune (5.0h tune tst 1)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xinacyra; 05-21-2016 at 03:08 PM.

whats done to the vehicle?

Tuner
    just mbrp 3 inch cat back everything stock

I would advise putting the vehicle back to stock and start with altering the spark tables and go from there

Tuner
    thanks man ill re do it again its my first try at it

Do these cars really need increased advance for any fuel other than 100+ octane?

Senior Tuner
    With 93 oct. I don't think the MBT tables need to be increased. The borderline tables can be increased and the knock advance rate reduced. This essentially reduces the stock safety net that compensates for gas quality and external conditions. It also puts the spark in a better position from the start and there is no delay of advance by waiting on the knock advance rate. I don't know if the car will dyno higher from this but it will make the engine respond quicker. Tuning the airflow and lambda helps a lot more. spark advance should be limited while these are tuned then brought back in once you feel they are improved. You can see this trend in the HPT layout from left to right.

Tuner
    here is my revised tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    First you need to re-enable your torque module switch. Then put the engine inertia torque back to stock 0.0254. set the maximum torque max gross table back to 11801.

This should get the car to start and idle with out dieing.

from there set the values of your driver demand back to stock. also set the CLIP/ADD value max torque back to 369ftlbs. you still have your stock manifolds in place I would re-enable the cat over temp protection. raise your optimum power pedal position up from 0 to 65-70. Change your knock advance limit table so that the 10's are 0's and the 0's are 10's. Change your MBT ignition tables back to the stock values. Change the 25's in the cylinder pressure limit table to 30's.

From here you are now ready to add some ignition timing for a 93 octane only tune.

on mapped points 0 to 12 of the borderline tables add 7-8* from 2000rpms and .75 to 7000rpms and 1.1 load. on mapped points 14-26 add 5-6* from 2000rpms and .75 to 7000rpms and 1.1 load

Add knock retard, spark source,fuel source driver demand limit source and torque source to your scanner for the next log you do. You can remove fuel level input, ambient air temp, barometric pressure and control module voltage.

Getting my feet wet as well. I know it might be a good idea to knock back the knock advance limit tables but overall will it ever exceed the MBT tables? Thanks

Now that I looked at his tune you wanted him to add the 10's back in the higher loads and zero out the lower loads? Am I understanding that correctly? If he added timing per your suggestion is it still ok to have the 10's in the higher loads or our there instances when you should lower that limit below 10? Thanks

Senior Tuner
    In later revisions after logging and adding more timing yes you can lower that limit if you want to. That knock advance table is what the car can potentially add up to. That doesn't necessarily mean it is going to succeed. also if you are going to use flex fuel you will want to rely on this to add the extra timing that fuel can allow. your main goal is to raise the borderline tables up to the MBT tables with out getting positive knock. This is do able if not already done in most of the low load areas. Taking the adder away in the lower loads lowers the chances of running the engine into knock before it can get to adding in the higher loads. from there you can tune the higher loads. The thing you would want to do is slow the advance rate down as you get your tables closer to the borderline of knock. This allows you to creep the timing up in smaller increments.

Great description. Thanks I have used some of suggestions and it helped the car a bunch. Started with only 4* in the upper MP's and still getting some additional -2.0ish* of KR. So your your suggestions should help the OP as well. Quick question on spark advance. The spark advance logged is including all compensations including KR. So say 20* with a KR of -2* I includes it and it's not say 22*???

Senior Tuner
    The engine will only include the -2* if the ECU determines conditions are good enough to allow it.

If you want to add 2* everywhere you can use the global adder. Its simple but no where near as fine tuned and safe as logging and adding to the borderline tables.

I will continue to sneak up timing using borderline tables on my 2016. Did some logs yesterday and with the 4* and still getting some help with negative KR. I've read a few times but my understanding is with the newer Stangs negative KR is good and positive is bad. I'm hoping that's right thanks again for your input

Senior Tuner
    That is correct. negative knock retard means its adding. Positive means you are having timing retard due to knock.

Tuner
    thanks guys it really helped

Tuner
    Last edited by xinacyra; 05-31-2016 at 07:56 PM.