Thread: p0011 VVT code after limiter & cam install 6.2 L92

Tuner

p0011 VVT code after limiter & cam install 6.2 L92

Working on a 2011 6.2 Truck engine L92 with a MAST VVT cam and a comp cams phase limiter.
    Im working to dial in the VVT map and have been doing a ton of reading and there is a lot of info spread out on the inter webs. Im hoping to get some real work feedback and have a good VVT discussion in one place for future readers to read.
    Im getting P0011 Camshaft Position actuator solenoid high control.
    My assumption is the phase limiter is maxes out well before the commanded cam retard is reached and is why I would be getting the code.
    Does anyone know what the max range is on the phase limiter? Not really in cam degrees but in real world HPtuners numbers that we see on the map.

vvtmap.jpg Here is my stock VVT MAP

My understanding is 0= around 8 degrees advanced. Basically the actuator is released and the spring pressure holds it at full advanced.
    Any number greater than 0 is pulling the cam back from 8deg full advance.

So would 8= no advance?

By looking at my stock map its 8 degrees advanced at idle and high airflow areas under 3800rpm.
    At low rpm's and low loads it retarding the camshaft a lot. Probably for help with fuel consumption or emissions. These numbers are where I think I'm setting the p0011 code
    at rpm's above 4000 it starts gradually retarding the cam back from full advance. In my brain I would think it would eat to leave the cam a little more advance at high rpm's and make more power

So a few questions
    Whats the max number I can put in the map and not set a code with the phase limiter installed?
    What are good PIDs to monitor in the scanner and does anyone have a good setup for logging it?
    With a larger camshaft are there any gains in idle quality by moving the camshaft around in the idle range?
    I see there are some parameters for enabling VVT idle values. Has anyone played with these to help with idle?

Tuner
    One strange thing. with the map lowered to 10 max and the p0011 code set to no code reported the SES light is still on and it shows a permanent code for p0011. will this clear in time?

What does the limiter limit the cam retard to? As the Comp Cams limiter is 20*. So just lower any value that's over 20* to just 20*.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    I'm currently at 10 and still show a permanent p0011.

I need to figure out what to log and make sure the cam is even moving. Low end is a little doggy and she comes to life above 4K rpm's. Maybe the code has the phaser shut off to full advance.

Did you make the changes to the low, medium & high baro tables? And if your truck has DoD, then you need to make the changes to the high baro DoD table.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Did you make the changes to the low, medium & high baro tables? And if your truck has DoD, then you need to make the changes to the high baro DoD table.

Russ Kemp
    i copied my map to all three tables. I have DOD deleted and it turned off in the tune, would I still need to mess with that table?

Im going to log some data today and make sure the cam phaser is even working

IIRC, the Comp phaser limiter reduces maximum retard to around ~30* from parked, which on the L92 (or whatever they changed that designation to in 2011) phaser is supposed to be 8* (Crank degrees) BTW: Some phasers are different from yours, but I'm assuming that you used the one that came in your truck? I read somewhere that the very early L92 and L99 phasers had a different range.
    There was also something else I read, way back when I believe on the Performance truck forums, about how using a cam core which was ground for one series of phaser, with the other series of phaser, would throw the cam timing completely out of whack. I had nightmares about that for a while. I only mention that because you say it's doggy down low, and if the phaser is parked, it's supposed to default to the 8* advanced position, which should give you more low end torque, if anything.
    I also recall that you could get two different phaser stops with about 10* difference in overall range between them, but I believe those were offered by Mast, not Comp, but in either case, that would only affect the amount of maximum retard that you can get, which is going to be way more than you would get at WOT anyway.
    BTW: what spec cam do you have? Mine is the 220/230 Mast, which I installed back in 2010, and I'm not up to date with what Mast offers now.
    But, take it from someone who spent years playing with different phaser curves on my 2008 L92, there is probably not a lot of gain in terms of WOT power to be made from changing the phaser curve. After years of dicking around with it, I have mine finally back at stock for WOT and all I did was smooth the idle/cruise curves a bit, IIRC. I used to use the JET DST for this, and before that I had a friend with EFI Live helping me with the tuning on my truck, but I recently got into HPT and now I'm trying to learn the basics with how to use that.
    I do have my current tune in HPT format though, so if you want, I can post the tune for you to have a look at? LMK.
    2013 GS A6: Magnuson Heartbeat @ ~13psi; Kooks 2? Headers w/ ORX & NPP; Racetronix FPH w/ ECS Stage 1; GMPP CNCed heads; Vengeance cam (223*/239*,.610"/.623", 118+4*); BTR .650 springs; Melling HV/HP Pump; ID850 injectors, IW 10% OD Balancer, Dashlogic; PLX Gen 4 WB; MM catch can; 160* stat; FTI 3600 stall; NW Boosted 102mm TB

2008 Sierra Denali, AWD w/ 4.10 gearing; PATC 2800 stall; Mast VVT cam, AFR 1 7/8 headers, LS3 TB, Vararam intake

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CI GS View Post
    IIRC, the Comp phaser limiter reduces maximum retard to around ~30* from parked, which on the L92 (or whatever they changed that designation to in 2011) phaser is supposed to be 8* (Crank degrees) BTW: Some phasers are different from yours, but I'm assuming that you used the one that came in your truck? I read somewhere that the very early L92 and L99 phasers had a different range.
    There was also something else I read, way back when I believe on the Performance truck forums, about how using a cam core which was ground for one series of phaser, with the other series of phaser, would throw the cam timing completely out of whack. I had nightmares about that for a while. I only mention that because you say it's doggy down low, and if the phaser is parked, it's supposed to default to the 8* advanced position, which should give you more low end torque, if anything.
    I also recall that you could get two different phaser stops with about 10* difference in overall range between them, but I believe those were offered by Mast, not Comp, but in either case, that would only affect the amount of maximum retard that you can get, which is going to be way more than you would get at WOT anyway.
    BTW: what spec cam do you have? Mine is the 220/230 Mast, which I installed back in 2010, and I'm not up to date with what Mast offers now.
    But, take it from someone who spent years playing with different phaser curves on my 2008 L92, there is probably not a lot of gain in terms of WOT power to be made from changing the phaser curve. After years of dicking around with it, I have mine finally back at stock for WOT and all I did was smooth the idle/cruise curves a bit, IIRC. I used to use the JET DST for this, and before that I had a friend with EFI Live helping me with the tuning on my truck, but I recently got into HPT and now I'm trying to learn the basics with how to use that.
    I do have my current tune in HPT format though, so if you want, I can post the tune for you to have a look at? LMK.
    I would like to have a look at your tune and compare.

my cam is a MAST L92/L99 HO cam 224-238 .578 .593 115
    I was told by MAST when I ordered the cam that they no longer offered a limiter, something about COMP having a patent or something. Thats why I have a comp limiter.
    MAST also said the cam was made to accept both early and late phasers.

The data I collected with a OTC scan tool shows a max of 7 degrees. If commanded is 7 or less the CMP variance will show 0 as the cam is commanded past 7 the CMP variance will start counting up. Makes sense since the cam cannot move past 7degrees. So at this point I will figure out what number in the map will = 7 degrees of commanded and use that for my max values and build a map based on that logic.

Senior Tuner
    the ecm is commanding more cam timing than it is physically able to do . back off the cam timing to below 16 and the code will go away.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    the ecm is commanding more cam timing than it is physically able to do . back off the cam timing to below 16 and the code will go away.
    Im currently at 15 in the map and the scanner shows commanded to 15 but actual pos at 7 max.

Mast said the cam was ground to accept both phasers? How is that possible? If the cam is indexed for one type of phaser, how can it work for another without the cam being out of phase? Does it have two different positions that the phaser can be mounted on it or what?
    Sounds like the same kind of bullshit I got from Mast back when I called them up, after buying their entire cam kit, including their phaser and install tool, and asked them what I should do to the phaser curve in the tune and they said that they couldn't help me with that, but if I wanted, I could buy their PCM for another $1800 or so and that would come with their custom phaser map. I ended up just hanging up on the guy. I don't care if they make the best LS heads in the world, I wouldn't buy a T-shirt from then again.
    There was an extensive thread on VVT cams that I read, way back when, that stated that if you have the wrong phaser/cam combo, your truck would be very lazy, due to bad indexing/phasing, like when you don't align the marks on the timing gears properly. Attached is my tune which has a total of 12 degrees of range in it, except for low speed low load which has much more, similar to yours. I am 96% certain that this is basically the stock 2008 L92 phaser map. your map has lower numbers in it, looks like.
    My recollection is that on my engine, the cam starts at 8 degrees advanced at idle and ends up at 4 degrees retarded from ICL, hence 12 degrees of range. I recall that we logged it on EFI Live a few years back and it was doing what the tune was telling it to do.
    I can tell you it works, because at WOT my old truck pulls like a beast right to the 7200 rev limit if I let it.
    FYI: it has the Mast 220*/234*, 116*LSA (can't remember the lift) cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers without cats and a Vararam intake as engine mods.
    I have no idea whether my cam phaser is the same as yours though. But, if you can't get it to do what the tune is commanding it to do, IMHO it is possible that the cam phasing is off physically, either the timing gears are off by a tooth or so, or the cam is the wrong one for that series of phaser.
    anyways, I hope that you get it figured out and that all of this somehow helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2013 GS A6: Magnuson Heartbeat @ ~13psi; Kooks 2? Headers w/ ORX & NPP; Racetronix FPH w/ ECS Stage 1; GMPP CNCed heads; Vengeance cam (223*/239*,.610"/.623", 118+4*); BTR .650 springs; Melling HV/HP Pump; ID850 injectors, IW 10% OD Balancer, Dashlogic; PLX Gen 4 WB; MM catch can; 160* stat; FTI 3600 stall; NW Boosted 102mm TB

2008 Sierra Denali, AWD w/ 4.10 gearing; PATC 2800 stall; Mast VVT cam, AFR 1 7/8 headers, LS3 TB, Vararam intake

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmextreme View Post
    Im currently at 15 in the map and the scanner shows commanded to 15 but actual pos at 7 max.
    back it off till it doesn't throw the code, or shut the code off. Only two ways around it. I spent a great deal of time getting my TSP vvt cam dialed in on my 10 6.2 silverado to not do this issue and not shut the code off. it takes a lot of time as the baro does switch maps randomly as well.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CI GS View Post
    Mast said the cam was ground to accept both phasers? How is that possible? If the cam is indexed for one type of phaser, how can it work for another without the cam being out of phase? Does it have two different positions that the phaser can be mounted on it or what?
    Sounds like the same kind of bullshit I got from Mast back when I called them up, after buying their entire cam kit, including their phaser and install tool, and asked them what I should do to the phaser curve in the tune and they said that they couldn't help me with that, but if I wanted, I could buy their PCM for another $1800 or so and that would come with their custom phaser map. I ended up just hanging up on the guy. I don't care if they make the best LS heads in the world, I wouldn't buy a T-shirt from then again.
    There was an extensive thread on VVT cams that I read, way back when, that stated that if you have the wrong phaser/cam combo, your truck would be very lazy, due to bad indexing/phasing, like when you don't align the marks on the timing gears properly. Attached is my tune which has a total of 12 degrees of range in it, except for low speed low load which has much more, similar to yours. I am 96% certain that this is basically the stock 2008 L92 phaser map. your map has lower numbers in it, looks like.
    My recollection is that on my engine, the cam starts at 8 degrees advanced at idle and ends up at 4 degrees retarded from ICL, hence 12 degrees of range. I recall that we logged it on EFI Live a few years back and it was doing what the tune was telling it to do.
    I can tell you it works, because at WOT my old truck pulls like a beast right to the 7200 rev limit if I let it.
    FYI: it has the Mast 220*/234*, 116*LSA (can't remember the lift) cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers without cats and a Vararam intake as engine mods.
    I have no idea whether my cam phaser is the same as yours though. But, if you can't get it to do what the tune is commanding it to do, IMHO it is possible that the cam phasing is off physically, either the timing gears are off by a tooth or so, or the cam is the wrong one for that series of phaser.
    anyways, I hope that you get it figured out and that all of this somehow helps.
    I just spoke with them on the phone again. I was told the cam will work with all the phasers. Not sure how true this is. I didn't assemble this engine so I can't verify anything.

They also said they run 7deg advanced at idle and have it pulled to 0 by 2000rpms. then from 3k up they build to 15deg retard.

I wouldn't say my engine is a total dog, but I would like some more low end. Top end comes on real strong!

Tuner
    rpm2.5vvt-test-5.hptLOG10.hplIMG_7273.jpg

Still strange readings. here is my current tune and log along with a picture of the map I'm running.
    Logging the cam position only shows a small area where it is actually working, my top end and most other areas show 0 cam degrees.
    I have adjusted the oil pressure range to rule out a low oil pressure override. I have also turned it off and used just the rpm table to allow cam adjustments. non are showing the correct movement in the log.

Tuner in Training
    did you ever get this thing sorted out ? IE soggy down low ?