Thread: VCT for Boss/CJ manifold

Advanced Tuner

VCT for Boss/CJ manifold

I saw someone ask about these settings on a TVS car and figured I would see if anyone would share their settings for a Boss or CJ set up. I don't have access to a dyno myself to do trial and error so I have left my tables stock on the CJ manifold.

So far I have my fuel trims within 1% and car is running strong but Im wondering if there isn't any power hidden in those OP VCT settings. Anyone care to share their cam angles?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    There is always power in VCT tuning. Use MAF lb/min and or the virtual dyno when tuning VCT if you don't have access to a real dyno. It takes time but it's worth it in the end.

Kris

Advanced Tuner
    Also, getting a VCT tune from someone will probably be very difficult. As previously mentioned, it takes a good bit of time to test all cam angles to find peak VE for all rpm breakpoints. This sort of information is not normally just given out.

This is where I ended up on my Boss Intake Manifold Setup.

I had LT's, catless mids, axel back and an airaid intake along with other odds and ends. Made 424RWHP.

Start here and check your MAF for optimum flow. Best done on a dyno, though.

Again, this is probably a decent starting point and not the end-all-be-all for VCT depending on setup....

Untitled.png
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    This is where I ended up on my Boss Intake Manifold Setup.

I had LT's, catless mids, axel back and an airaid intake along with other odds and ends. Made 424RWHP.

Start here and check your MAF for optimum flow. Best done on a dyno, though.

Again, this is probably a decent starting point and not the end-all-be-all for VCT depending on setup....

Untitled.png
    Did you bracket your cam angles to get these results?

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    Did you bracket your cam angles to get these results?

Kris
    As best I could. I would add cam angle to see if any improvement was made and then subtract to see if it lessened. Just by utilizing MAF flow and 60-100 times I found this worked for me. Had it dyno'd at 424 and I never touched it again.

Not 100% scientific or even the best approach, but it's all I had at the time. Figured I'd give some info to help give a head-start and see what others can come up with.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    As best I could. I would add cam angle to see if any improvement was made and then subtract to see if it lessened. Just by utilizing MAF flow and 60-100 times I found this worked for me. Had it dyno'd at 424 and I never touched it again.

Not 100% scientific or even the best approach, but it's all I had at the time. Figured I'd give some info to help give a head-start and see what others can come up with.
    Thanks, I'll give them a see if there is any gain in airflow for me. Im going to the LMR cruise on the 14th and will see what it does on the mobile dyno...

Advanced Tuner

For sure, that's a good way to do it. I use MAF flow and virtual dyno to do a lot of my tuning for times sake.

Kris

Bumping this ancient thread looking for a good starting point for my 16.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev1360 View Post
    Bumping this ancient thread looking for a good starting point for my 16.
    Best way would be to get on a dyno and work on them. I ended up renting a Dyno for a bit to work on the angles in order to make sure we were gaining whp from the changes. You won't be able to feel the gains using the ol' butt dyno

Tuner
    "When we calibrate the Cobra Jet, we sweep it at every 500-rpm increment all the way up to 8,000. We sweep the exhaust cam and find the optimum spot, and we sweep the intake cam to find the optimum spot. Sweep the spark timing and optimize that, then sweep the fuel and optimize that." - Robert Denewith, Powertrain Engineering supervisor at Ford Performance
    Last edited by HextallS550; 08-02-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Provide source

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HextallS550 View Post
    "When we calibrate the Cobra Jet, we sweep it at every 500-rpm increment all the way up to 8,000. We sweep the exhaust cam and find the optimum spot, and we sweep the intake cam to find the optimum spot. Sweep the spark timing and optimize that, then sweep the fuel and optimize that." - Robert Denewith, Powertrain Engineering supervisor at Ford Performance
    I only spent an hour on it, could of prob doe better if I spent more time on it, but I was able to pick up about 10whp below the curve and 7whp peak gains by the end of the session...Was happy enough with that

Advanced Tuner
    There is more than one group set of angles to make sure you fill the cylinders. These motors are picky and have their likes and dislikes. One might gain or lose.
    2011-14 cobra jet manifold
    vct1.JPG

vct2.JPG

vct3.JPG

Dev this is for a 2016 with cold air intake.
    vct2017.JPG