Thread: LNF Boost Headache

Tuning Addict

LNF Boost Headache

Hi everyone. I've got a pita right now that I just can not get to boost... I know it's the ecm pulling it for a couple of reasons - 1st and most obvious - remove wastegate control solenoid - builds boost fine and quickly in first just like it should / 2nd - it will actually on occasion build past the limit to 12 psi then is immediately pulled back to 8psi...

To Alex and Mike - Thank you both for helping me with issues on this - you've both been a great help - sorry if it's not up to your par

So far I've tried everything up to disabling boost controls all together "may get an external boost controller if no one see's anything popping out"... This all started after relocating the MAF for a P0101 fault... Would build boost fine before this - No codes currently setting even though that is exactly what it acts like - using V3 if that makes a difference? Also used second better code reader just incase something was setting that HP wouldn't pick up.

Posting log and tune - some things in tune are overly aggressive to try and eliminate this - also saw something weird on the last 2nd gear pull - looked like limiting - didn't do this any other time?

Finally is there at all a possible chance that traction control or the bcm or something is causing this - didn't cause problems the first time I tuned it, BUT?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    I notice you have your Derivative and Integral Gain tables set all to 0. I haven't messed with those tables, but my entire tables are not 0'd out.

Another quick thing I noticed is the MAF in the log is the maf is off from the VE quite a bit and the MAF reading looks rather turbulent.

Now for the covering bases questions, with the maf relocate is that for BOV or a vta bpv? I know some of the LNFs just don't like the relocate or have issues with turbulent maf readings. Also generally the p0101 is caused from a boost leak rarely is it actually a bad maf sensor, so I'm assuming you've already fixed the boost leak.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
    I notice you have your Derivative and Integral Gain tables set all to 0. I haven't messed with those tables, but my entire tables are not 0'd out.

Another quick thing I noticed is the MAF in the log is the maf is off from the VE quite a bit and the MAF reading looks rather turbulent.

Now for the covering bases questions, with the maf relocate is that for BOV or a vta bpv? I know some of the LNFs just don't like the relocate or have issues with turbulent maf readings. Also generally the p0101 is caused from a boost leak rarely is it actually a bad maf sensor, so I'm assuming you've already fixed the boost leak.
    running "0" in pid tables is a user opinion. depends on what style of control system you want to run.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    running "0" in pid tables is a user opinion. depends on what style of control system you want to run.
    That's kinda what I figured, but wasn't sure how it would effect the other tables or the boost control with other tables

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Hi everyone. I've got a pita right now that I just can not get to boost... I know it's the ecm pulling it for a couple of reasons - 1st and most obvious - remove wastegate control solenoid - builds boost fine and quickly in first just like it should / 2nd - it will actually on occasion build past the limit to 12 psi then is immediately pulled back to 8psi...

To Alex and Mike - Thank you both for helping me with issues on this - you've both been a great help - sorry if it's not up to your par

So far I've tried everything up to disabling boost controls all together "may get an external boost controller if no one see's anything popping out"... This all started after relocating the MAF for a P0101 fault... Would build boost fine before this - No codes currently setting even though that is exactly what it acts like - using V3 if that makes a difference? Also used second better code reader just incase something was setting that HP wouldn't pick up.

Posting log and tune - some things in tune are overly aggressive to try and eliminate this - also saw something weird on the last 2nd gear pull - looked like limiting - didn't do this any other time?

Finally is there at all a possible chance that traction control or the bcm or something is causing this - didn't cause problems the first time I tuned it, BUT?
    Have you by chance tried a flash reset? "save as" off of a new factory file and re-apply the changes....lnf is the one vehicle i constantly find corrupt files in.
    did you ever try the maf delete?

Advanced Tuner
    My computer is not setup right now so I can't look at the tune of log. Why would you zero out all of the PID Tables? I don't recall what that would do. I'm sure I tried it, but I would imagine it wouldn't do what you are expecting. You need to at least have values in the Prop Table. Integral and Derivative can be zeroed if you wish.

Did I read that one part correctly? Did you remove the wastegate solenoid? If so, how are you controlling boost?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    My computer is not setup right now so I can't look at the tune of log. Why would you zero out all of the PID Tables? I don't recall what that would do. I'm sure I tried it, but I would imagine it wouldn't do what you are expecting. You need to at least have values in the Prop Table. Integral and Derivative can be zeroed if you wish.

Did I read that one part correctly? Did you remove the wastegate solenoid? If so, how are you controlling boost?
    no i specifically mentioned to Huggins that the minimal table usage would be only values in the prop table....and that's how he is currently setup. As far as control he hasn't fully disabled pid controls...that would be very bad.

Advanced Tuner
    Someone post pics of his DAL's, Wastegate Table, PID tables, all other torque tables please?

What about the wastegate solenoid question?

Tuning Addict
    Just throwing this out there. Not at my computer right now to post another lnf that I had tuned that was close to this setup, but long story short I transferred all differences from that tune to this one and all though it was for a different turbo and stock MAF location I noticed a few things immediately. 1st this one has always idled around a 15.1a/for - now at 14.6 14.7. 2nd - first floor out lean spike is gone and makes great boost.

So if these things go too lean will they kill boost? I remember the other car going lean like this before I tuned it, but don't remember it limiting boost. I then put back the current tunes fueling tables and boost was gone again. IIn the other tune I also used injector setting to dial in fuel where as this tune I was modifying the MAF.

Just some thoughts?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Still using waste gate solenoid. Owner is considering manual controller.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    What all has been done to this car?

Tuning Addict
    Hahn Turbo, zzp cai, straight pipe, comp stage 2 cams, zzp charge air cooler setup with bov then some other things I'm sure I can't remember

This is the tune I did for another car minus the turbo and cams - plugged this one in and it had much better fueling even though the MAF is fairly dialed in on the above tune and this one actually built boost rather nicely

As mentioned if it wasn't clear I then put only the above tunes fuel injector settings, idle portions of the tables and MAF from the above tune back into this one and once again wasn't building boost... This tune is from a 2010 cobalt where as this cobalt is a 2009, so don't know if it's got more updated injector info or if they actually changed the injectors for the 2010 model?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    For comparison this is the tune with the transferred tables for idle and fuel that wouldn't build boost anymore...

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    I can't open them any time soon unfortunately. could be a corrupt file, and it could be a mechanical issue. I would go back to a stock like tune. Only change the absolute necessities. Wastegate, DAL's, (fueling and spark if fuel was changed). I would also put the MAF back to stock location when testing this.

Advanced Tuner
    When I say Wastegate and DAL's, I just mean lower them so you don't overboost the larger turbo.