Thread: LNF Cobalt Iniital Scan: GMS1 only, car sick?

Potential Tuner

LNF Cobalt Iniital Scan: GMS1 only, car sick?

Hello, New here. I bought a 09 SS 2 weeks ago. LOVE the car. I got HPTuners this week because on my RPD, I was seeing some questionable things and my scan this morning is REALLY bad. I think I have some bad parts.

Car is stock GMS1, and I compared my upload to GMS1 in repository and they matched. There are alot of experts here and I've been reading like a monster trying to get educated so my questions are smart. Please go easy on me as I am learning. (Running premium, I think straight gas).

On RPD is see the following:
    1 AFR is 14.7 or 14.8 until coolant gets to about 140. I assume this is when it goes closed loop. Then the AFR is moving from 14.2 to 15.2 during stead state speed and moved more during accel or decel (that is normal)
    2. Intake cam advance slowly moved +/-2 deg during stead state driving. Back and forth and overlap changes with it. Exhaust cam value moves around but doesn't drift like intake.
    3. I can get 20 PSI boost sometimes, other times 15 is all. That is on same day, cool down period between "runs".
    4. Car seemed to run well, gets 35+ MPG stead state
    but today that changed....

Before logging I cleaned the MAF with MAF spray cleaner and let it dry.
    I started logging. I'm using a config file I found that is suppose to be a good starting point for LNFs.
    1. The TPS is VERY jittery. I logged my 3.6l DI Impala last night that the TPS there is steady.
    2. The MAF sensor reading is WACKED. jumps from 1-2 lb/min to 86.86! Seems to do it on bumps so I wiggled the MAF sensor connector once stopped and it seems like a bad connection- maybe. I have a new sensor coming at lunch to put in.
    3. I did a couple full throttle runs, starting in second. I got 18 PSI boost on first run, then NO THING. Log doesn't show over 100 kPA, so not boosting?????? Because the MAF is wacked?
    4. My O2 #2 lamda reading is "missing" in the log. Wrong sensor hopefully or is the car less stock that I was told?
    5. No Check engine lights. This the first time I've not had boost.

So, before I can do any tuning, I have to get somethings under control. Are the RPD readings normal? Dirty intake valves? Where is my boost? Anything else the experts see in the log I should be aware of?

THANK YOU ALL in advance!

Attached is log file. Only successful boost is at 6:10 into the run, in second gear.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BobVV; 04-22-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added comment

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome Bob!
    I had a similar situation with the MAF spiking and it turned out to be a bad connection at the MAF. I would recommend that you double check the connector when you replace it as it could be causing your problem. I didn't look at your log, just offering help from a past experience.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, could be connector. MAF is FIXED. Not dried out enough? Or wiring was loose. I drove at lunch and MUCH better. MAF log always in normal range, never jumping around. Boost is back also.

On TPS, I must be logging a wrong value as loading the config for my Impala, the TPS on the LNF is smooth when using that value. I will compare ad see where these values are coming from.

Still have questions on what a normal RPD display is. Maybe I need to post this on a Cobalt forum, not the tuning forum?

So as a tuning question, how stable should the actual O2 lamda value be? I see .97 to 1.02 during normal cruising. Normal?

Potential Tuner
    Also, in sick car land. How stable should the fuel pressure be? At idle I jump from 220-350 quickly constantly. At higher speeds, I'm around 700 with +/-25 PSI. I will have to log and get as these are off the RPD.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i believe low pressure side is supposed to be 35 psi ?? and teh high pressure side in hpt you would watch commanded hp and actual hp rail but generally those should be in the 1000 psi range.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    CSSOB, I have been calling you in response to your message to me. You need to answer your phone bro.

BobVV, all good questions, and all good answers so far to your questions. Keep reading a ton while you do this, and send me a message if you get stuck and the forums are helping. I'll try to respond to the forum posts thoigh, that way others can see the answer. So far so good. I don't have my computer to look at your stuff. Most importantly though, make sure you log the appropriate stuff.