Thread: Cannot read from ecm 2006 f150

Potential Tuner

Cannot read from ecm 2006 f150

Hello,
    I just received my VCM suite and I got everything installed correctly. No errors or issues and I show that the drivers for the MPVI has both the A and B under usb.

However, when I plug it into the truck to try and read the stock tune it does not seem to be working correctly. Here is how I proceeded.
    1. plugged in the interface to the laptop and the truck
    2. open vcm editor
    3. clicked on flash | read entire
    4. turned on the truck to the run position (did not start)
    5. clicked read. the first time I plugged it in it had to do a firmware update. That completed with not problem.
    6. in the window it shows my vin and year, make and model. But under hardware there is nothing chosen. There are a lot of option there, but nothing by default. I am guessing I need to chose a hardware type but not sure what option to choose. If I click read it just says skipping the hardware and then it says complete but never prompts me to save a file. I have looked at the ECU on my truck but none of the number match anything in the hardware list. I am guessing I am doing something wrong and before I continue I figured I would get a little help.

Thanks,
    -Sid

Potential Tuner
    So I have been searching all morning trying to find a solution to my problem above. I have not found any previous posts with the same problem. I do not get an error and I see the progress bar complete (however is seems to go way to fast, from what I understand for Fords). I never get the option to save or license the file. I have emailed support, but was hoping someone else maybe had this issue before and could help with a quick fix.
    Thanks,
    -Sid

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Please email support again, we were having some issues with our server this morning but they are fixed now.

Sounds, to me, like you are using a very old 3.0 build that had a bug in it and simply need to update your software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Bill for the information. When I get home I will download the newest version and give it a try. If I still have issues I will email support again.