Thread: Can you check my first road drive scan for me?

Tuner in Training

Can you check my first road drive scan for me?

Hi guys, I am trying to get my head around all of this tuning stuff the last few weeks. I am active on the HP Tuners facebook page, but only read over here. I have done many LSX conversions into old trucks the last few years but have always paid for the tune. I decided to start learning myself, so here I am. Today, I did my first 30 mile road scan in an old '51 Chevy truck that just got a little 5.3. I live at about 3500 feet altitude and the truck will be at 1500 feet where the owner lives. I did reset all ltft's before I started the 30 mile trip. What I found after the drive and reviewing was that I am about -12 on the LTFT's. This is rich correct? If so, what is safe knowing it will lean out dropping 2000 feet in elevation to the trucks owner? I am going to try to figure out how to post my "SCAN" here and see if you guys can look at it for me. I'm not worried about performance at this point, just being in the safe zone. I told him I would drive up and dial it in more in a few months after learning more. Thanks guys!

Drive1.hpl
    Last edited by AaronOregon; 04-10-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Got dogged on for not knowing what I was doing. Duh!

Advanced Tuner
    Don't tune a customers car without knowing what you are doing.

Second, PCM compensates for baro and air density.

Third, yes, -12 LTFT means you are 12% rich.

Pay a tuner to tune this truck and see if they will explain the process while they do it. Its irrresponsible and unethical to charge for labor when you know as much as your customer does.

Senior Tuner
    -12 LTFT means it is running at stoich so it is not rich, but the PCM is pulling 12% fuel to make it run at stoich based on what the air flow data is telling it to inject fuel wise. And I agree, Don't tune a customers car without knowing what you are doing. And asking what -12 LTFT is a pretty good indication you need to learn more about closed loop operation.

Advanced Tuner
    Tune is 12% rich not the mixture post trim.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by matty b View Post
    Don't tune a customers car without knowing what you are doing.

Second, PCM compensates for baro and air density.

Third, yes, -12 LTFT means you are 12% rich.

Pay a tuner to tune this truck and see if they will explain the process while they do it. Its irrresponsible and unethical to charge for labor when you know as much as your customer does.
    Good thing I am not charging him than huh? I said I was trying to learn. I'm not testing on his rig, just ask a simple question...........That's all!

Advanced Tuner
    You said CUSTOMER. Customers pay money. Learning is great, I have nothing to say about learning, learning on someone elses rig is the issue I have. Does your non-paying customer know you are trying to do the tune yourself?

Tuner in Training
    I put the engine in the truck for him! Where did I say customer? I said owner................

Advanced Tuner
    Okay, does the "owner" know you dont know how to tune and is okay with you learning on his/her truck? If they say have at it, then you need to start by reading all the threads in the READ ME section and Google LS1 tuning guides, then googling any areas of those guides you dont understand at face value to understand what you are dealing with.

More or less, from your first question, you have A LOT to learn regarding EFI functionality. You need to know what most of the main tables do and how they affect the operation of the motor. You need to understand basic OBD2 operations and how to read a scanner before making any changes, else you will be up to your eyeballs in questions that are easily answered by reading and experience. You have the scanner, you need to learn what all those things in the scanner mean and that isn't gonna be answered point by point by anyone. I dont have the time and those that do have already written it. It up to you to research.

I still say pay a tuner and sit in with them and give them an extra hundred to walk you through the process.

Tuner in Training
    I see I scored that "one guy on every forum" here in my first actual thread. Wow...........am I ever lucky!!! The "owner" who you called the "customer" not me, happens to be a good friend of mine. He doesn't have to give me "permission" to work and "tune" on his truck. He would just laugh at you for your stupid comments about it. I simply ask if someone would look over the scan. I never said anything about "tuning" or experimenting on his truck. Can you please just go back and re-read the first post instead of trying to be the fucking forum Nazi? I'm a 48 year old guy that is trying to read, watch YouTube videos and gather all the information I can the last few weeks, not just some punk-kid like yourself trying to score brownie points and act like I know what I'm talking about. It's a little overwhelming and I just ask for someone to look over the scan for me and give me advice. I really hate that you even looked at this thread. Go away!!

Advanced Tuner
    First Im not "that guy" I paid my dues and learned by reasearch and reading. Im not 48, Im also not 15. I learned this shit by reading thousands of dollars worth of books, before a lot of info was free on the web and learned by working on EFI everyday as part of my job. I also FIXED a lot of "tunes" from guys that did their swaps and were pissed as hell that they wouldn't run right. You may have 13 yrs on me in life, I got more than that working on cars and fixing a lot of rather stupid mistakes.

I told you to read, in fact, the top of the forum says READ ME! so they told you to. You shouldn't mess with anything until you understand what you are doing and if you are in a tuning forum, its assumed you are trying to tune the motor. I don't know everything, far from, but what you asked could've been answered without starting a thread about it which makes me think you aren't ready to be messing with a factory optimized calibration.

Tuner in Training
    You shouldn't mess with anything until you understand what you are doing and if you are in a tuning forum, its assumed you are trying to tune the motor.
    Are you a complete fucking dumb-ass? You're making yourself look like an idiot bud! I NEVER said for the 10th time that I am tuning anything. I came here because I am trying to learn. Is it a "Certified Tuner" forum where I can't post until I know everything like you? I could be at your 148 post count in under an hour. Doesn't mean you know anything, but sitting behind a monitor being a know-it-all like the internet is know for. You have no credibility with anyone here. Sorry! Take your $1000's of dollars worth of books and shove them all up your ass you moron......

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post
    Are you a complete fucking dumb-ass? You're making yourself look like an idiot bud! I NEVER said for the 10th time that I am tuning anything. I came here because I am trying to learn. Is it a "Certified Tuner" forum where I can't post until I know everything like you? I could be at your 148 post count in under an hour. Doesn't mean you know anything, but sitting behind a monitor being a know-it-all like the internet is know for. You have no credibility with anyone here. Sorry! Take your $1000's of dollars worth of books and shove them all up your ass you moron......
    "I have done many LSX conversions into old trucks the last few years but have always paid for the tune. I decided to start learning myself, so here I am"

I read that as I want to tune this truck myself and not pay someone else to do it when I do my multiple LSX swaps.

I can give you the bibliography on some of those books, it may help you figure out a few things. Then again, you can learn a lot from reading the stickies and otherwise doing what I suggested. You wanna learn? READ. You wanna learn? Pay a teacher to teach you. You wanna learn? Sweep floors and work you way from diagnosing coolant sensors to tuning motors.

My post count means fuck all, I dont give a shit about post counts as its obvious I havent posted much in the last 8 years. Then again, I could post bullshit and run it up in no time.

Tuner in Training
    Banana...water....ball

Tuner in Training
    Then again, I could post bullshit and run it up in no time.
    Like the six in this thread?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post
    Like the six in this thread?
    Heres my 7th. Good luck, read more talk less.