Thread: NLS on Sonic 1.4?

Tuner in Training

NLS on Sonic 1.4?

Hello,

I'm working through the tune on my Sonic now. It's the first car I've tuned, but I worked in automotive aftermarket for a number of years and have a pretty good idea of how the tune works... I've so far changed some PE settings and got my boost up around 18psi. It's pulling way better now.

Anyway, as the title says, I'm having trouble getting NLS set up. So far I've lowered the throttle threshold to 80% and the VSS is still set to 9mph. I set the rev limiters in park and neutral to 5k rpm to see if that would help too... so far nothing seems to help. I'm mostly looking for the rpm not to spike during a NLS and for boost to hold on.

Thanks for any help.

Tuner in Training
    I think I have it mostly down now. Still getting a rev flare while shifting, but the BOV doesn't open and the boost only drops by ~5 psi. I feel like the car has taken enough abuse lately so I'll back off on messing with this for a while. If anyone has any ideas to eliminate the rev flare I'm all ears.
    04 C5 Z06 - Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by nickalltogether View Post
    I think I have it mostly down now. Still getting a rev flare while shifting, but the BOV doesn't open and the boost only drops by ~5 psi. I feel like the car has taken enough abuse lately so I'll back off on messing with this for a while. If anyone has any ideas to eliminate the rev flare I'm all ears.
    Would be cooler if you figured out how to make it anti-lag ALS =) Also, have you maxed your injectors yet at 18psi boost? I just have a DP and airbox mod, but I was able to get over 100% DC at 18 psi trying to target 0.76 lambda.
    E67 - 2006 LE5 2.4 Turbo, 444 whp
    E78 - 2013 LUV 1.4T

Tuner in Training
    I also target about .76 in the upper range (I think PE is set to 1.25 right now, going off memory). I'm at 80% IDC with my listed mods. As you can see, the intake is the only "performance" thing, and it's probably more a noise-maker than anything. I would bet your 18psi is a significantly higher flow rate than mine due to that downpipe. I'm working on a way to (hopefully) run LS3 injectors in our cars. If that works out then I should have enough ceiling to be able to run e85 when I want it.

I'm not really interested in ALS, but a nice stationary rev limit would be nice to help with launching. The P/N rpm limiter seems to mess with NLS working correctly though, so I'm still fine tuning it. I'm probably going to work on other facets of my tune before coming back to the NLS though.

Edit- I just realized/remembered that I'm not holding 18psi all the way to redline. That's probably also another big difference. Again, I'm just slowly working my way through the tune so it's more a path of getting one thing close, then working on something else. Rinse. Repeat.
    Last edited by nickalltogether; 03-30-2016 at 09:34 AM.
    04 C5 Z06 - Supercharged

Potential Tuner
    its interesting to see things like nls brake boosting and launch control in the ecu.

Tuner in Training
    Yes it is. I think they are there due to the same ECU being used in the Camaro, but you'll see no complaints from me Taking the car to the track tonight, gonna see how much the tune has gained. Gonna try using the P/N limiter as a launch control and then see if NLS still works.
    04 C5 Z06 - Supercharged

Potential Tuner
    please let us know how it goes

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nickalltogether View Post
    Yes it is. I think they are there due to the same ECU being used in the Camaro, but you'll see no complaints from me Taking the car to the track tonight, gonna see how much the tune has gained. Gonna try using the P/N limiter as a launch control and then see if NLS still works.
    Not the same ECM as a Camaro, Gen V Camaros only used E38s or E67s. Similar ECMs, but how the ECM goes about calculating and operating the engine is very different between the E38/67 and E78. E38/e67 rely more heavily on changing throttle position whereas the E78 is all about calculating and delivering a desired/requested TQ value.

Interested to see how the track goes tonight!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Good info. I mistook similarity for same.

Track went so-so. I got a 16.1 on the stock tune and a 15.6 on my tune. I was getting KR of 1-2 degrees quite frequently, but I think it was mostly due to crappy gas. NLS went okay... I'm not convinced that it's working consistently for me. I changed out injectors since then so I'm more concerned with working that out than I am with NLS. I will continue updating this thread as I learn things.
    04 C5 Z06 - Supercharged

Potential Tuner
    15.6 isn't so bad in these. What were your 60 foot times

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cndctrdj View Post
    15.6 isn't so bad in these. What were your 60 foot times
    2.351 on the 16.1 stock tune, 2.315 on the 15.6 tuned run. I got a 2.2xx on one pass but botched the 2-3 shift and never 60'd like that again after. Ran 4 back to back 15.7 passes but couldn't hit a 6 again.
    04 C5 Z06 - Supercharged