Thread: LNF Boost Problems

Tuning Addict

LNF Boost Problems

Having a problem with boost control on one. What's happening is that it makes the commanded or at least very close to the commanded on the first dyno pull, then consecutively drops boost off with following pulls. Will eventually only make 5 to 10psi. Have tried everything with limp settings to the point of all but shutting them off completely. OS has no effect that I can tell. Don't see anything in the log limiting it - no throttle closures and so on...

Car has a haugn turbocharger on it - don't know exact sizing. Has BOV, intercooler, CAI with MAF in behind filter as stock, catless exhaust system.

Any help or insight on how to properly do this is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-01-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Hahn should be an s20g...anyways did you disable over boost controls in diagnostics?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuning Addict
    Yes. I think I might have finally figured it out. I put the higher rpm and mid range rpm and load cam specs back to stock, fixed the leaking waste gate control solenoid hose, put my timing tables back in and it actually built to boost specs every pull after. Only problem now is that after you do 3 or 4 pulls it'll build to 30psi and start sputtering and misfiring, so just need to experiment with the waste gate and Dal tables a little and hopefully I can get it fixed.

Thank you for replying.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Yes. I think I might have finally figured it out. I put the higher rpm and mid range rpm and load cam specs back to stock, fixed the leaking waste gate control solenoid hose, put my timing tables back in and it actually built to boost specs every pull after. Only problem now is that after you do 3 or 4 pulls it'll build to 30psi and start sputtering and misfiring, so just need to experiment with the waste gate and Dal tables a little and hopefully I can get it fixed.

Thank you for replying.
    creep can be blocked using proportional max boost? and pid tables
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuning Addict
    What would be the best route to go about that. In other words a possible "for dummies " explanation... I'm posting the current tune as well if it'll help any. Right now it's putting down 375 to the tire and when the boost jumps to nearly 30 it'll shoot over 400 - really trying to not blow the motor up - lifting as soon as it does this, so would prefer keeping it around 360 to 375 at 23 to 25psi...

I've read some of the how to's, but they don't seem to go into great detail on which way to move things to adjust for something like this.

Thank You Again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Are there any suggestions or guidance you can recommend.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    I haven't messed with the prop max tables to much, but you're running pretty high wgdc all the way through 7,000 rpm. Might try lowering it a few points over 5,000rpm. I don't recall if the s20g starts running out of steam up top like the little KO4 does

Tuning Addict
    I played with the tables and played with the tables. Haven't had one be this big of a pain in a long time... If I put .1 in the wrong spot it wouldn't build boost at all above 10psi hardly. Tapered down less and it was back to spiking too much boost then dropping 5psi and never building back to commanded. I did wind up dropping the wgdc back around 3% as a whole in the higher rpm areas and then went back to using the max allowed boost and max pressure per rpm set point to control it.. Then used OS and air load as best as possible to get it to boost just like stock was capable of at lower throttle inputs.

It is apparently setting a P0101 now and may wind up having to relocate the MAF back before the tb if I don't find any boost leaks then retune for that... Apparently car has had a lot of problems and been through a few owners and tuners over the last couple of years, so not 100% on it yet... Does great for 30mins then sets the code and will go back to running fine for a while until it has the problem again. Either boost leak, wastegate sticking, where I put the MAF back in front of the turbo or something else going on tune wise?

~Greg Huggins~