Thread: FFRP 90mm TB M-9926-M5090

FFRP 90mm TB M-9926-M5090

Anyone tune one of these i can look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Stangguy View Post
    Anyone tune one of these i can look at?
    I have a few SCT tune files I have written for that TB

I have both. I'd love to take a look.

Potential Tuner
    Does anyone have the flow numbers (effective area) for the M-9926-5090 FRPP 90MM Throttle Body? I have searched high and low, I'll be reaching out to FRPP 1-800-FORD788 if other members don't happen to have them. According to my tuning guide, you can't scale Electronic Throttle --> Effective Area from known values. At this point the idle (500rpm - 1500rpm), surge and difficulty driving prevent me from driving the car. I feel like I'm at a loss as I haven't found the guidance I need to make the car run, nor is a tune posted in the repository that utilizes a 90mm FRPP TB. One would think Ford would provide all sorts of help/guidance on this as it would give them an edge to BBK.

I'm under the impression that the following required changes need to be made in order for the car to operate correctly:
    - Electronic Throttle --> Throttle Body Area --> Effective Area: Source FRPP Flow Data
    - Electronic Throttle --> Throttle Body Area --> Predicted Angle: Same as above data (just the inverse function)
    - Idle Airflow --> ETC --> Max Throttle Limits --> Throttle Angle Min: Stock = .0625 thinking of scaling this back 15% to 0.053
    - Airflow --> Idle Airflow --> ETC Idle Throttle Angle: Source = Datalog airflow and actual throttle angle; put the values back into the table
    - Electronic Throttle --> Driver Demand --> Engine Torque: Scale up by ~3% (possible the power gains from new 90mm TB)
    - Torque Management --> ETC Torque Management --> Scheduled Torque Max: Source-Dyno or scaling 4% mid-range 2% top and bottle range

I also found that the car would accelerate in gears 1 - 3 without any additional throttle. I had to disable torque based deceleration under Engine --> Idle --> Airflow. This fixed the problem however, now my catless exhaust with flowmaster outlaws no longer pop as you are coasting down a hill. Any advice on torque decay and other torque mgmt related topics that will allow me to retain torque based deceleration would be appreciated.

It's hard to believe that all of these problems surfaced with simply changing out the TB. I kept the same Airaid Intake (already adjusted MAF curve), stock manifold, etc.

** First time post ** Sorry to unload all of my life's problems **
    Last edited by ejeter; 06-26-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: content and spelling improvements

Tuner
    I have no affiliation with them. I did take their class last year (their first). Their TB stuff would help you with your troubles http://www.thetuningschool.com/product/4121/

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Esacteksab! I have a few resources at my disposal: 1.) LaSota Coyote Cookbook & 2.) Sloppy Mechanics - Tuning Course out of Allentown, PA (actually attended Yesterday where we worked on a 680rwhp ZR1 on E85 and Junkyard 5.3 w/ 76mm turbo.

With Sloppy, there has been more of an LSX focus with a focus on forced induction, speed density & auto-trans (4L & 6L80). Unfortunately, with these throttle bodies, I don't think there is a way around the Effective Area data requirements. Since I'm not a fluid dynamics wiz, I'll need a tune from the repository (which there isn't one with a 90mm TB on a coyote) or the MFG flow bench data (per LaSota's Coyote Cookbook).

If I get the data from FRPP and can't get it to work I'll definitely consider the Tuning School Option! HPT Folks, once I get this figured out, you'll be the first to know and I'll gladly share all of the PITA legwork.

Tuner
    LaSota's book is fantastic, but The Tuning School specifically talks about how to tune a FRPP 90mm TB. Pg 53 - 65. And in their "classroom" training, the actually did this (tuned a '13 with FRPP 90mm TB w/ JLT CAI). I saw it for myself, their methodology does in fact work!

While I might sound like a broken record or a fanboi of their stuff, I'm not, but this part of their material is nice!

Potential Tuner
    The answer with tuning is always spend more money. I am not part of the church of Scientology and thus am getting tired of being hit up like this is some 1-900 number. Anyone here want to challenge/change this paradigm?

For those keeping tabs on this thread: when I have a solution I will share it (even if I have to drop $500 on a class to get the guidance that others have but aren't willing to share). I will also share my tune on the repository (taboo...I know).

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ejeter View Post
    The answer with tuning is always spend more money. I am not part of the church of Scientology and thus am getting tired of being hit up like this is some 1-900 number. Anyone here want to challenge/change this paradigm?

For those keeping tabs on this thread: when I have a solution I will share it (even if I have to drop $500 on a class to get the guidance that others have but aren't willing to share). I will also share my tune on the repository (taboo...I know).
    Sent you a PM. I don't disagree with anything you said regarding the Ford community, tuning and information sharing.

Potential Tuner
    Were the correct settings ever found for this throttle body? I am very new and trying to do a little learning on the fly, I have this TB installed and it's solid at WOT and idle but not so good in between.. Any help would be much appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    I've always been curious about the tuning book. I don't own it though.

My solution for the tb was pretty simple. I'll be honest I don't remember exactly what I did but I know I modified the stock table by the delta value in cfm for one and in surface area of the disk in another area. I figured it's the same shape just flows more so the relationship in data should be relatively easy to calculate. I've got one weird spot and I've almost got it figured out (it's only when I'm in it like 60% it'll surge) otherwise it drives like stock. I don't know if the remainder of my issue is the dd table or the to settings but changing the tb settings softened my surge dramatically.

Potential Tuner

M-9926-5090 FRPP 90MM Throttle Body

Did you ever get the information to make this throttle body work? I have the same one on a gen1 with Boss intake. No love yet.

Thanks for any help or advice you can share.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ejeter View Post
    Does anyone have the flow numbers (effective area) for the M-9926-5090 FRPP 90MM Throttle Body? I have searched high and low, I'll be reaching out to FRPP 1-800-FORD788 if other members don't happen to have them. According to my tuning guide, you can't scale Electronic Throttle --> Effective Area from known values. At this point the idle (500rpm - 1500rpm), surge and difficulty driving prevent me from driving the car. I feel like I'm at a loss as I haven't found the guidance I need to make the car run, nor is a tune posted in the repository that utilizes a 90mm FRPP TB. One would think Ford would provide all sorts of help/guidance on this as it would give them an edge to BBK.

I'm under the impression that the following required changes need to be made in order for the car to operate correctly:
    - Electronic Throttle --> Throttle Body Area --> Effective Area: Source FRPP Flow Data
    - Electronic Throttle --> Throttle Body Area --> Predicted Angle: Same as above data (just the inverse function)
    - Idle Airflow --> ETC --> Max Throttle Limits --> Throttle Angle Min: Stock = .0625 thinking of scaling this back 15% to 0.053
    - Airflow --> Idle Airflow --> ETC Idle Throttle Angle: Source = Datalog airflow and actual throttle angle; put the values back into the table
    - Electronic Throttle --> Driver Demand --> Engine Torque: Scale up by ~3% (possible the power gains from new 90mm TB)
    - Torque Management --> ETC Torque Management --> Scheduled Torque Max: Source-Dyno or scaling 4% mid-range 2% top and bottle range

I also found that the car would accelerate in gears 1 - 3 without any additional throttle. I had to disable torque based deceleration under Engine --> Idle --> Airflow. This fixed the problem however, now my catless exhaust with flowmaster outlaws no longer pop as you are coasting down a hill. Any advice on torque decay and other torque mgmt related topics that will allow me to retain torque based deceleration would be appreciated.

It's hard to believe that all of these problems surfaced with simply changing out the TB. I kept the same Airaid Intake (already adjusted MAF curve), stock manifold, etc.

** First time post ** Sorry to unload all of my life's problems **

Potential Tuner

90mm tb m-9926-m5090

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet35th View Post
    I have a few SCT tune files I have written for that TB
    Is there anyway I could take a look at your SCT file? I?d be willing to pay you. I?ve adjusted to how I understand it from class, but still not getting proper drivability.