Thread: DBW Throttle Motor Compatability between Ford and GM

Tuner in Training

01-02 DBW- only works with engine off

Doing some goofy stuff and running a GT500 M122 on a 6.0. Have an 01-02 DBW harness from a denali/escalade that I was attempting to run a 01-02 DBW motor through some gears on the ford gt500 TB but it hasn't worked (gears dont mesh fully and stuff). Also running an 01 DBC sierra ECM that I changed all the values on out of the DBW stuff. My DBW pedal does not move the TB, I am guessing the computer needs to see a startup procedure that it isn't seeing. Since I have issues with the gears jumping I am assuming the ECM/TAC isn't seeing the proper TPS feedback loop and triggering what needs to be.

Where I am now is seeing if I can run the ford TB motor off the GM harness. Trying to get the pedal to make the TB move.

Basically what I am wondering is
    1. What is the operating procedure for an 01-02 DBW setup? Does it try to open and then close or something? I noticed when you turn the key on it looks like it tries to open the TB to 100% If I cycle the ignition on and off quickly it wont try to go to 100%, only 0%. Does the TAC have to see a feedback from the TPS to a activate basically?

2. How does the GM TB operate? Is it Analog/Digital? 12V/5V? PWM? Any idea on a ford? The TB I am using is the same for GT500's and any V10 ford. TB motor also is the same for Crown Vic, F150, basically and RWD ford V8. They are both 2 wire plugs.

3. Any idea if a ford TB can be run from a GM system?

Last edited by Gutless; 03-29-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So an update

I hooked up a GT500 TB on the system and it works with the key on, engine not running. As soon as the engine starts the throttle will not react.

DBW works with the engine off, as soon as the engine starts it quits. Does this sound like a tune issue converting from a DBC ECM to DBW? Did I miss some wire in my standalone swap? Is it not getting a signal from some sensor like IAT/MAF/Oil pressure?